Options

Can a Vagabond Mini Lithium run powerpacks?

leitmotifleitmotif Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited March 23, 2011 in Accessories
I just received my PCB Vagabond Mini Lithium the other day (finally! After 2 months anticipation). It works great with my Alienbees AB800.

A Profoto D1 generator is being sold at another forum but I have no way of testing it with the VML. Do any of you have any technical data on the VML? I'm not sure if it will accommodate the power rating of the Profoto (1200w)? I don't see much numbers that'll support its compatiblity on the PCB site.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    You really need to contact the Paul C Buff companies.....and get info straight from the horses mouth......I am terry sure their mini Lithium will run the high end WL lights (WL ULTRA1800, WL3200 and so on) but for other brands I would contact them toll free @ 1-800-443-5542 or email customer service @ tech@paulcbuff.com ..... I know Paul himself has been known to answer emails at 1 am,2am and 4 am.....I also know that is not the norm but it happens....they have always been super fast with my questions even when my email subject is: "USED such and such need to know" .......
    That is my advice go straight to PCB inc.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 21, 2011
    I am not that familiar with the Profoto line but as a rule, digitally controlled studio flash units do not do well with battery and inverter power. The problem is that the controller itself will fail during the brief under voltage that occurs right after the flash starts the recycle and before the inverter catches up. There is generally a very high starting load that most inverters cannot accommodate. You would be best to contact Profoto to see if they have recommendations.

Then again, in the following linked thread, somebody claims that their Profoto D1-500 did work on an AB Vagabond II:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/740564/1&year=2009#6775508

... likewise in this post:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8911226&postcount=1

So maybe the Profoto D1 series is fairly insensitive to the under voltage issues?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I am not that familiar with the Profoto line but as a rule, digitally controlled studio flash units do not do well with battery and inverter power. The problem is that the controller itself will fail during the brief under voltage that occurs right after the flash starts the recycle and before the inverter catches up. There is generally a very high starting load that most inverters cannot accommodate. You would be best to contact Profoto to see if they have recommendations.

Then again, in the following linked thread, somebody claims that their Profoto D1-500 did work on an AB Vagabond II:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/740564/1&year=2009#6775508

... likewise in this post:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8911226&postcount=1

So maybe the Profoto D1 series is fairly insensitive to the under voltage issues?

There is a huge difference betwixt the Vagabond ll and Lithium powered Vagabond Mini that the OP was referring to.............
    I would also recommend the reading of this page from the White-Lightning website....same in as from the Alien Bee website.........

http://www.white-lightning.com/vmini.html Which explains a lot and I grabbed this tidbit:
    *Note: The Vagabond Mini™ Lithium is designed specifically for powering Paul C. Buff, Inc.™ products and we cannot make any claim for suitability with products from other manufacturers, nor can we accept any liability for any damage that might be caused to such equipment. We will, however, warranty the Vagabond Mini™ Lithium itself as well as any Paul C. Buff, Inc.™ equipment it powers.

This statement alone would make me NOT ever try to power any flash besides one manufactured by Paul C Buff Inc..........White lightning, Alien Bees or Einstein......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 22, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    There is a huge difference betwixt the Vagabond ll and Lithium powered Vagabond Mini that the OP was referring to.............

I absolutely agree. The 2 Vagabond systems have a number of differences and their exact components are not know and neither are their exact properties.

I do not recommend or endorse any mixing or matching of power components between systems and anyone that does so needs to understand the risks and liabilities involved. Power equipment itself is potentially dangerous but mixing manufacturers really can harm equipment and presents real personal dangers too. It most certainly voids any manufacturer warranties as well.

Anyone who uses contra-recommended power systems does so at their own risk.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    I do not recommend or endorse any mixing or matching of power components between systems <SNIP>........................

Course you did not and I KNOW you would not....and maybe I should not have quoted you now that I think of it...but it was so the OP knew what I was referring to....also cause a lot of times with my non existent typing skills I start to post and when I get done there are 3 or 6 posts ahead of and when I started there were none or 1...............

• Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    -
    So I guess i'll have to pass on that profoto powerpack steal then.. It seems PCB isn't too keen on the usage of his portable power supply product for other brands. I have nothing but good words when used with the Alienbees though

Another problem with PCB specs is that they are never straight forward. What's up with "true watts" anyways?

I inquired with Profoto but all I get is a link to the BatPac (which at 1700 is leagues out of my budget). Have any of you had any feedback about Innovatronix power supplies?

Art Scott wrote: »
    I would also recommend the reading of this page from the White-Lightning website....same in as from the Alien Bee website.........

http://www.white-lightning.com/vmini.html Which explains a lot and I grabbed this tidbit:

This statement alone would make me NOT ever try to power any flash besides one manufactured by Paul C Buff Inc..........White lightning, Alien Bees or Einstein......
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    zaazza
    According to Rob Galbraith, the VML's max continuous is 120 Watts. I gues that means you can't turn on the modeling lamp lest you want to overload the system (if the lamps over 120 watts) ..

I absolutely agree. The 2 Vagabond systems have a number of differences and their exact components are not know and neither are their exact properties.

I do not recommend or endorse any mixing or matching of power components between systems and anyone that does so needs to understand the risks and liabilities involved. Power equipment itself is potentially dangerous but mixing manufacturers really can harm equipment and presents real personal dangers too. It most certainly voids any manufacturer warranties as well.