Options

Somebody Stop Me . . .

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited March 23, 2011 in Sports
Is the Nikon 400mm f2/8 ED IF AIS just too much of a beast for sports photography? I mean the thing weighs 14 lbs. I'm being tempted.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    What kind of sports?

Basketball? Hell no. Baseball, football, anything else with a large play area, YES.

ETA- I say basketball No because I had a 400/2.8 from Canon on loan during the start of basketball and end of Football season (got it for state finals.) Ended up our team didn't make state so I shot basketball. Full frame, kids on the other side of the court FILLED THE FRAME.. So unless I was 100ft off the baseline it was useless.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    What kind of sports?

Basketball? Hell no. Baseball, football, anything else with a large play area, YES.

ETA- I say basketball No because I had a 400/2.8 from Canon on loan during the start of basketball and end of Football season (got it for state finals.) Ended up our team didn't make state so I shot basketball. Full frame, kids on the other side of the court FILLED THE FRAME.. So unless I was 100ft off the baseline it was useless.

HA! I was just coming back to edit my question.
    Field sports. At night. With the D700.
    Daytime field sports I'm reasonably content with my 28-300 f3.5-5.6 on either the D300 or D700. But at night, that lens is just way too slow. May as well stay home. Right now I'm using my 70-200 f2.8, and wish I had a bit more reach.
    John :
  • Options
    xchangxxchangx Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    The 400 can be useful for certain basketball shots. It's kind of like a fisheye, only good for a select style. I used a loaner 400 to shoot from the nosebleeds. You get a unique angle of the basket.

http://www.michaelchangphotography.com/Clients/USA/USA-Jags-vs/DSC3692/1155215992_p3JZf-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Nice shot Michael.
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2011
    Thanks! It was truly a sad day when I had to send the 400 back.
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    HA! I was just coming back to edit my question.
    Field sports. At night. With the D700.
    Daytime field sports I'm reasonably content with my 28-300 f3.5-5.6 on either the D300 or D700. But at night, that lens is just way too slow. May as well stay home. Right now I'm using my 70-200 f2.8, and wish I had a bit more reach.

The 400 f2.8 is the best lens I have ever used for field sports! Some call it the best sports lens ever.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    I would definately call it the best sports lens ever. :)

I'm working my way up to get one, getting a lot more paid gigs this year than last.

Curious though, how does the 600 compare to the 400? I've never shot the 600, but will probably ask NPS for a loaner when college football starts.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    I think I'll rent one for Friday night's game and see if I hurt myself schlepping it. :rutt If I stick it in front of the D300 and hang around midfield with my monopod, I should be able to get some goalkeeper shots. I mean if you can't shoot a goalkeeper with a 600mm effective focal length, somebody's in the way, right?
    John :
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    xchangx wrote: »
    I would definately call it the best sports lens ever. :)

I'm working my way up to get one, getting a lot more paid gigs this year than last.

Curious though, how does the 600 compare to the 400? I've never shot the 600, but will probably ask NPS for a loaner when college football starts.

I've found the 600mm too long for Soccer and football. I use the 600mm mostly for surf shots. For soccer and football I'm usually covered by the 400mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8.