How do I create a gallery filled with multiple galleries... ??

BigKBigK Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited March 31, 2011 in SmugMug Support
This is something that has bothered me for a long time.. I would like to know how on SmugMug you create galleries within a gallery. What I would like to do is have one "Gallery" page, and have actual galleries in there instead of just thumbnails to one gallery... if that makes sense.

If you visit my site (link is in my signature) you'll notice that I have a cars section, a wedding section, and a misc section... Ideally I would like to just have a "Gallery" section that has all of those galleries within it. How do I do this?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Smugmug has:

categories (can contain sub-categories or galleries)
    sub-categories (contains galleries)
    galleries (contains photos)

If you're already using categories, you can create sub-categories in those to get one more level and then assign your galleries to the appropriate category and sub-category in gallery settings or when creating the gallery.

Galleries do not contain galleries - they only contain photos.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BigKBigK Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Sweet! So how would I go about creating a category? I think (I'm pretty sure, anyway) that I am just using galleries at the moment.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited March 24, 2011
    BigK wrote: »
    how would I go about creating a category?
    See http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo.

--- Denise
  • hollieshollies Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    I think this is what I am looking for too. If not, my apoologies but my mind is little fraggled after two days of trying to get what I want out of SM pro trial before buying. If I am in a wrong thread can you point me to the correct one.

My site is not a photographers site so I don't need everything that one of these might need. I am not looking for a website to display Galleries of this scene or whatever, (or am I?).

My (CMS) webpage is a fan based music site which contains a link to an image gallery. When this link is followed, I want it to point to a simple page containing thumbnails, one for each year, and for these to link to a gallery of pics from that year.

I need the visitor to be able to navigate around the years easily and to get back to my main website with ease.

As a newbie I am finding it a little overwhelming, not to say difficult, (I am 62), to grasp everything and the fact I only have a 14 day trial and I am away for 6 of those days is putting me under pressure!!

Am I right in thinking that I need to create a Category which will be the top level link from my website, and then create one gallery for each year within that Category?

How do I then integrate this with my existing site.

I have trawled through pages of this forum and the SM Help pages but it is all am little too much for my brain! I need very simple clear instructions as I am not a whizzkid computer buff so any gentle help would be much appreciated.

My existing gallery is here . You will see it is well out of date and in need of some TLC.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Yes.

I would do it as following:
    1) Create a category called "On Tour"
    2) Create galleries for each year inside the "On Tour" category.

At the top of each gallery there will be a series of links that go
    "Home > On Tour > 2009"

If a user clicks "On Tour", they will go to the category listing all of the years.

If a user clicks "Home", at the moment, they would go straight to your smugmug homepage. However, if you have a Power or Pro account, it is easy to change the "Home" link to point to your main website.

Paul
  • hollieshollies Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Categories
    Thanks for your comments Paul. I will give that a try.
    PBolchover wrote: »
    Yes.

I would do it as following:
    1) Create a category called "On Tour"
    2) Create galleries for each year inside the "On Tour" category.

At the top of each gallery there will be a series of links that go
    "Home > On Tour > 2009"

If a user clicks "On Tour", they will go to the category listing all of the years.

If a user clicks "Home", at the moment, they would go straight to your smugmug homepage. However, if you have a Power or Pro account, it is easy to change the "Home" link to point to your main website.

Paul