Options

Inexpensive portable light system

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited March 24, 2011 in Accessories
What's a good inexpensive portable light system for portraits? I'm looking for something that I can use on location. I guess battery operated is the way to go.
At this point I'm just getting started so I can't go dumping a bunch of cash into this. As I grow I'll update the system, but right now I need something that I can produce a good product and wont break the bank.

I would like to use my flash off the camera as one of the lights too if acceptable.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 18, 2011
    I appreciate the qualities of Sigma EF-530 DG Super flashes in that they handle Canon E-TTL II wireless very well and they can work as both master and slave in a wireless configuration. They will also work in manual mode and have a built-in simple optical slave capability.

For maximum portability I prefer 3 - wireless flashes, either using the Canon wireless protocol or via simple RF master/slave trigger sets. (I take the RF sets regardless of whether I "think" I will need them or not.)

I use 10 foot, air-cushioned, light stands and umbrella brackets. I use combinations of convertible reflective/shoot-through umbrellas, SoftLighter, DIY scoop modifiers and a Demb Flip-It. All of this breaks down to be portable and relatively light in weight.

This works pretty well with individuals, from head shots through full length, and group shots of up to around 6 or so. Different rooms might allow even more people. It just depends upon the room properties.

For large venues nothing beats studio monolights however.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2011
    Thanks ziggy,
    You know I'm sitting here brain storming and researching different solutions (hence the different posts)Laughing.gif!!! and I though about using 2 or 3 speedlites in softboxes controlled by pocketwizards. This might work well in terms of portability.
    THen I start thinking, how much will a strobe monolight kit cost and would that work better? I figured for what I'm looking to do at this point, a couple of lights with softboxes might work. I'm looking at B&H and for about $400 they have what might be some decent solutions. Something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/621586-REG/Interfit_INT491_EXD400_Softbox_Umbrella_Kit.html

Now mind you I don't know if this kit is any good. I'll have to call these guys and start asking questions.
    Ultimately, I though I might get more gear for the same price of a second 580II and a pocketwizard or two.

R.
  • Options
    snakephotosnakephoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2011
    If you are thinking about getting a strobe, you might consider the PC Buff Alien Bees...The AB800 is less than $300 delivered and they have an excellent service department...Its AC120v but you could get a small true sign wave battery inverter from them for another couple of hundred...

I notice you use a 5D MK2 so maybe you would also like to get an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra 2 head set...It costs about the same as your Canon full frame body and is very reliable...I would wager that it would still be giving you light long after you have retired the 5d and upgraded to something else. I want one myself...(tired of my Norman 400b and 200b sets...)

But back on earth, Ha Ha...I think the Interfit Steller X-treem might also be an excellent choice for both Battery and AC use...and I think its somewhere in the vicinity of $300 or so...
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    Well... I'm glad to report that I pulled the trigger on a AlienBee 1600 with a 22" beauty dish.
    What finally sold me on it was the ability to connect a portable power source to it for on location. Barring any issues I should have it in my hands by end of next week.

My learning curve has been pretty steep during all this and I don't see it slowing down any time soon.

Again, thanks to everyone that helped me out with all this. Your time and patience is highly appreciated.

R.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Did you order one of those giant Buff parabolic reflectors? If not you should. They are sweet looking umbrellas. And way way cheaper than a soft box. Umbrellas are a great modifier to learn how to use too. They are also serious bang for the buck for nice wrap around light. I am loving my new 60" umbrella. And I am just using it with HS flashes.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    No all I got with it was the 22" beauty dish. I held off on getting a grid though. I still need to learn which degree is recommended 15 or 30. I'm thinking 30 but need to confirm that.
    I also have a couple of umbrellas at home, not 60" though, if I remember right I think they are 40 or 43" (something like that).

R.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited March 24, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    No all I got with it was the 22" beauty dish. I held off on getting a grid though. I still need to learn which degree is recommended 15 or 30. I'm thinking 30 but need to confirm that.
    I also have a couple of umbrellas at home, not 60" though, if I remember right I think they are 40 or 43" (something like that).

R.

Both grids and a front "sock" diffuser can give you some extra versatility with a beauty dish.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Did you order one of those giant Buff parabolic reflectors? If not you should. They are sweet looking umbrellas.
    I know I love my 86" PLM....I have a white one and no covers yet....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    The parabolic umbrella isn't your normal umbrella ;) it's HUGE, gives excellent light, and while backordered, is WELL worth any wait. http://alienbees.com/plm.html with a black front spill-kill cover.
    //Leah