Options

Suggestions Wildfire (Kansas)

FlutterbyFlutterby Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
I have seen some beautiful photos of wildfires. Today our city of Wichita is full of smoke due to small grass fires in surrounding areas. I went and snapped a few shots of a nearby fire. I was just wondering what is suggested to capture the color of the fire and the definition of the smoke. I went during daylight and I plan to go back at night fall and shoot the embers if they are still hot.

Any Kansas photogs here?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

That sounds like a really neat opportunity so I'll move your thread to Locations. Good luck and hope you post your pics here when you've got 'em thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Flutterby wrote: »
    I have seen some beautiful photos of wildfires. Today our city of Wichita is full of smoke due to small grass fires in surrounding areas. I went and snapped a few shots of a nearby fire. I was just wondering what is suggested to capture the color of the fire and the definition of the smoke. I went during daylight and I plan to go back at night fall and shoot the embers if they are still hot.

Any Kansas photogs here?

thanks!

Bracket the crap out of it and merge as an HDR so that you are getting all of the dynamic range possible in the image.....I normally shoot in groups of 5, 7, or 9 and 9 is the most common for me...I just set my D300 to to bracket 9.....and continuous High so it spits out the 9 images very quickly....normally I am tripoded also.....

How far east were you going??

there was a grass fire at the corner of Yosemite and Tyler on Airport authority land west of the airport.....I suspect it was a planned and controlled fire as it did not make the news......it had me thinking something in my house was burning as it was just the smell of the smoke and no sign of the smoke it self......They have ran off or killed all the Pheasants, Turkey and Quail that lived in those two fields in the last 2 years all in the name of keeping it clean and tidy.....to hell with the wildlife.....
    Sorry...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    FlutterbyFlutterby Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2011
    Scott- I was near maize on Tyler where you see 96. I think it may have been controlled - which baffled me because I thought we were under a burn ban due to the wind. I turned on the scanner and the poor fire dept was running around for calls of smells smoke in area and they couldn't pin point where the smoke was coming from. So I see we had fires at each side of Tyler, not to mention that Butler county had several controlled burns.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to keep practicing! As scary as fires can be they produce some great images!

Ps thanks for moving my post to a better location! :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Flutterby wrote: »
    Scott- I was near maize on Tyler where you see 96. I think it may have been controlled - which baffled me because I thought we were under a burn ban due to the wind. I turned on the scanner and the poor fire dept was running around for calls of smells smoke in area and they couldn't pin point where the smoke was coming from. So I see we had fires at each side of Tyler, not to mention that Butler county had several controlled burns.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to keep practicing! As scary as fires can be they produce some great images!

Ps thanks for moving my post to a better location! :D

I have shot the burning out in butler and Greenwood counties a couple of times.....Hmmmm a scanner could be helpful and fun......may have to give that some serious thought.....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website