Options

How to spend money I don't have...

rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
edited March 27, 2011 in Accessories
(or, I have the urge to splurge...Talk me down or take me there!!)

This is my conundrum/thought process.
I have a Canon EOS xsi, and I have about $600 to 'not spend':rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
I am seriously tempted by the t2i, because it has video (and we are going to become grandparents in Oct) and it's about 6 mp higher than what I have...

I am NOT interested in the larger cameras; I have a bad right shoulder and a bad right thumb and small hands, the smaller cameras are far more comfortable for me...

But, I am seriously considering that the money should be put into lighting. (after all there is this newborn shoot coming up in the fall, lol:ivar)

If I went this way, I really need hand holding, someone to talk to me (is there a lighting for dummies book?)

I currently use natural light, an external flash (on camera) and have a number of reflective surfaces and random garage lights that I will jury-rig together when I REALLY need 'studio' lighting...

I don't think I really need the 'how light works' part so much as the you have to buy THIS if you buy THAT and you can't get by without the other...

So, anyone up for handholding? Or do I get the camera?:dunno

Comments

• Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Read through the lighting 101 section. It will change your world...

http://strobist.blogspot.com/
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited March 24, 2011
    It would be helpful to know which flash and lenses you have.

The usual advice I give is that lighting has more influence on image results than lenses, and lenses have more influence on image results than camera bodies. Some of my very favorite images are shot on a Canon XT/350D body, but the lighting and lenses really did make part of reason why I can like them.

For a new baby I recommend very indirect lighting. It should be very soft and look like it came from a diffused window , IMO. The way to achieve this is to bounce off a wall and a ceiling if possible. a room with white walls and white ceiling are best. A large shoot-through umbrella or softbox can also provide the key light. A large-ish white card can provide a pretty good fill. Ideally you might want a little rim light and a background light, but you can improvise those if you wish.

A nice lens for this would be the Canon EF 50mm, f1.8 and use Live View to focus. The EF 50mm, f1.4 USM is quite a bit better but more costly.

Set the baby in a bean bag and arrange a simple background. (Drape a sheet or a curtain behind.) Also shoot baby and mother if you wish, but lighting can get a little more complicated except that you can get some great results in front of a window with natural light and a little extra flash.

All of this can be accomplished for less than your budget and you can get really great results. No need to change cameras, which will gain you little. (Although the video capabilities of the T2i would be potentially fun.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Thanks for your replies....The video capability would thrill my husband to death... and the newer camera would make my heart happy....lol... mine is about 3 now, right when I start getting antsy...

I have shot a newborn, and was comfortable with the mostly natural light/flash setup; (and I did use my 50/1.8 on her. The gallery for her shots is locked, but I think she is seen in my slide show at my site) I brought a folding project board to bounce light with me, and found a room in the house with two windows and no curtains.... I feel like the 'visual' part of lighting is in my grasp, it's more the technical/product ownership parts that I am lacking in... I guess I want to have something in a very GENERAL lighting way, you know? I expect the baby will be Subject Number One, but I am not adverse to setting up a still life and having some better lighting choices available to me...
    I will read over strobist, I have looked there before but not with a blank check in my hand, so I didn't really take in everything ...
    My flash I am not happy with, it may be I really need how to manipulate it better? (Sunpak pz40x) I mean, it WORKS. But...it doesn't dance and sing, you know? Ah it must be spring, I always feel the need to get new stuff just before I head into Manhattan (BH is like a beacon, drawing me closer, closer...)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited March 25, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies....The video capability would thrill my husband to death... and the newer camera would make my heart happy....lol... mine is about 3 now, right when I start getting antsy...

I have shot a newborn, and was comfortable with the mostly natural light/flash setup; (and I did use my 50/1.8 on her. The gallery for her shots is locked, but I think she is seen in my slide show at my site) I brought a folding project board to bounce light with me, and found a room in the house with two windows and no curtains.... I feel like the 'visual' part of lighting is in my grasp, it's more the technical/product ownership parts that I am lacking in... I guess I want to have something in a very GENERAL lighting way, you know? I expect the baby will be Subject Number One, but I am not adverse to setting up a still life and having some better lighting choices available to me...
    I will read over strobist, I have looked there before but not with a blank check in my hand, so I didn't really take in everything ...
    My flash I am not happy with, it may be I really need how to manipulate it better? (Sunpak pz40x) I mean, it WORKS. But...it doesn't dance and sing, you know? Ah it must be spring, I always feel the need to get new stuff just before I head into Manhattan (BH is like a beacon, drawing me closer, closer...)

It's great that you are taking control over lighting. I do enjoy using the Sigma flashes and the Sigma "Super" series flashes have most of the functionality of the Canon 580EX series but at a better price point.

Specifically, the Sigma EF 530 DG Super, in Canon EOS configuration, is a great flash that allows full Canon automation as well as supporting Canon's wireless control. Unfortunately the 530 is getting hard to find but the replacement is the 610 series and they seem to work as well, from the customer reviews, and they are a little more powerful but a little more costly.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741717-REG/Sigma_169_101_EF_530_DG_Super_Flash.html
    http://www.adorama.com/SG610EOS.html
    http://www.photo4less.com/products/Sigma_EF-610_DG_SUPER_Electronic_Flash_for_Canon_Digital_SLR_Cam_____085126927387_____SGEF610SPCA.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Ziggy, THANKS!! I am traveling this weekend, but will do some poking about to see some stuff online and then try to make some decisions ( It feels like trying on grown-up clothes!!!)
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    (or, I have the urge to splurge...Talk me down or take me there!!)

This is my conundrum/thought process.
    I have a Canon EOS xsi, and I have about $600 to 'not spend'rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    I am seriously tempted by the t2i, because it has video (and we are going to become grandparents in Oct) and it's about 6 mp higher than what I have...

I am NOT interested in the larger cameras; I have a bad right shoulder and a bad right thumb and small hands, the smaller cameras are far more comfortable for me...

But, I am seriously considering that the money should be put into lighting. (after all there is this newborn shoot coming up in the fall, lol:ivar)

If I went this way, I really need hand holding, someone to talk to me (is there a lighting for dummies book?)

I currently use natural light, an external flash (on camera) and have a number of reflective surfaces and random garage lights that I will jury-rig together when I REALLY need 'studio' lighting...

I don't think I really need the 'how light works' part so much as the you have to buy THIS if you buy THAT and you can't get by without the other...

So, anyone up for handholding? Or do I get the camera?ne_nau.gif

The XSi is a fine camera. I used mine for a year, then turned it over to the wife.
    The shots have not diminished from it even though there are newer cameras out.:D

I have 2 cameras that do video, a 7D and a 5DMKII. I have taken exactly one video with the 2 cameras.
    That video was very blurry cause I didn't focus on the subject very well.

I'll suggest that you maybe keep the camera you have, and buy a small HD video cam.
    I bought a Kodak Play Sport for around $110.
    Is it a great cam, no. Can you take quick little videos maybe 20 seconds long to show off the grandkids, yep.

That would leave you around $500 that you don't have to come up with a lighting solution.
    I'll let others in the know talk about lighting.

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Yes, video is not easy on the DSLRs. Focus is finicky, the DOF can be very shallow (great look, but difficult to manage). An easy to use HD video camera is the better alternative for video, I agree with Dave.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    I just uploaded a quick little vid that I shot at a puppy class.
    Ours is the larger dog, Brodie.

LINK

And here's a link to the Kodak site telling about the camera I have.

LINK
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Yes, video is not easy on the DSLRs. Focus is finicky, the DOF can be very shallow (great look, but difficult to manage). An easy to use HD video camera is the better alternative for video, I agree with Dave.

I agree. I upgraded from a 40D to a 7D, for reasons other than video (however I was looking forward to using the video feature). I photograph my son's gymnastics and while he loves the photos he has always wanted to see what his routines actually looked like on video. I find it much more difficult to take video holding a somewhat heavy DSLR when I have a large lens attached to it. Some of the much cheaper point & shoot cameras have video capabilites and are much easier to use for video. I agree with the Daves.

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    I thank you all and will continue to take it all under advisement! I certainly am not interested in becoming the family videographer, and the idea of an extra thing to remember to bring is one of the reasons the idea of the DSLR video intrigues me...