Options

1D4 with 70-200, WTF is going on?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited April 2, 2011 in Cameras
I just got a 1D4 in today from CPS to use tomorrow for the Indiana Basketball Finals. Not having shot with a 1D, I don't know what the hell is going on with some of the images....

I shot a simple picture of a sign
1228506460_7ZZxj-L.jpg

And it looks like my exposure was 1/2 sec and I moved.. when in fact it was 1/320 @ 200mm. But it doesn't happen all the time, just randomly. I don't know if my 70-200 needs to be calibrated to the body or something else is going on like the focus system didn't lock on the sign? Any clues??????

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Any clues??????
    Some of the grass in the foreground is in focus! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Just a total guess here, but could the settings be set up for the auto focus to acquire a new target very quickly? Maybe it picked up some of the branches in front of the sign and that made the focal point shift? I can't remember which setting it is off the top of my head, but I have my 1DMKIII set to the slowest setting so I don't aquire a different target immediately when an arm or hand waives in front of me... just a thought.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Thanks. I'm doing what I should had done.. Reading the f*)$)(* manual. :D
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    I suspect you have all focus points enabled and the camera is picking up the foreground in this shot. If you just set one, for example the centre one, and lock that onto the subject first before recomposing and taking the shot, all should be well. nod.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited March 25, 2011
    Jim, the manual is going to take a long time to assimilate. For the Canon 1D MKIV and a basketball application:
    1) Use a single focus point and don't move to far away from the center if possible. The reason for this is that tracking needs some hidden focus points in case you don't follow the action precisely. If you chose a focus point too far away from the center the AF system can lose tracking altogether.

2) Use AI Servo mode and adjust Custom Function III-2: "Servo tracking sensitivity" to the point just below Fast, just above the center. For fast action congested group sports this should allow a rapid change from a previous subject when needed, and still allow some distraction rejection.

3) Most people do not recommend focus point expansion for this application. The expansion can sometimes cause AF to choose another, higher contrast, subject.

4) "I" recommend "not" using IS for this application. IS takes a half-second or so to activate and won't help with wide camera swings that you should require in basketball. Try it on if you wish but I think you will find IS counterproductive during the game. It could be useful for shots other than the game proper.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    won't help with wide camera swings that you should require in basketball.
    Some lenses have an IS switch for panning.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    [/INDENT] Some lenses have an IS switch for panning.

Neil

In basketball you have to track a subject that can move in very wild motions. Take some video of a basketball game and then use some slow motion to see what I mean. There is almost no simple"panning" motion involved. It is a lot of running and jumping and passing and such.

Leave the IS off for basketball action.

Turn it back on for shots of the bench or a free-throw (maybe).
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    In basketball you have to track a subject that can move in very wild motions. Take some video of a basketball game and then use some slow motion to see what I mean. There is almost no simple"panning" motion involved. It is a lot of running and jumping and passing and such.

Leave the IS off for basketball action.

Turn it back on for shots of the bench or a free-throw (maybe).

I think there are two issues here. AI-Servo, and IS panning mode. To maintain focus on erratically moving targets you need AI-Servo and good camera skills. To get IS to help stabilise the image when you are making wide camera swings you need the IS panning mode. Focus vs stabilisation.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    THanks All.

I will say this.. I LOVE the complete flexibility of this camera. Damn, I wish the 5DII had half the ability to customize like the 1d4 does. Being able to set which modes are available, which isos, the frame rates for low and high, etc... Me Likey...
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    I will say this.. I LOVE the complete flexibility of this camera. Damn, I wish the 5DII had half the ability to customize like the 1d4 does.

People have issues since there are so many ways to customize it.

You might take a look at the AI servio guide It's a 94 page pdf by canon on how to tune the AI servio and various tips.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    I suspect you have all focus points enabled and the camera is picking up the foreground in this shot. If you just set one, for example the centre one, and lock that onto the subject first before recomposing and taking the shot, all should be well. nod.gif

^^
    setting all points can definitely cause unexpected results!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    I think this link is the sequel to this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=193812
    ziggy53