Options

Pen Tablet - Do you use it?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in Weddings
Pen Tablet - Do you use it for photo editing in Lightroom, Photoshop, etc...? Did it improve your post processing work flow?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I have been using a pen/tablet for years.....did it improve my editing...yes greatly.....I have no real control for retouching with a mouse or even a trackball.....ditched the mouse as soon as I found a trackball and then quit using the trackball when I found my 1st Wacom Graphire ....upgraded recently to a VisTablet....seems to be every bit as good as a Wacom and was well under $100 on Ebay......I still use the trackball for general use just not any pic processing......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    While I have to use a mouse in my computer lab/office, for years I have used almost exclusively (99% of the time) a graphics tablet for all my editing AND general purpose uses on my editing computer. I could do what I wanted, quicker and more accurately, with a graphics tablet.

Raised and skilled on crayons, pencils, and pens in the late 40s and 50s, I never found a mouse I truly liked — that is until I found the Alienware TactX mouse about a year ago.

Now I regularly use the TactX mouse:D for all general things, including minor editing in CS5 products, but still use the pen and tablet for any heavy or lengthy editing stints.

I never thought I would find a mouse which fit so well and had such excellent feel, movement, and instant resolution controlability that it was almost as easy to use as the pens and tablets I've been using since the late 80's, starting with Kurta and now swearing by Wacom.

So, give me a TactX mouse and a Wacom tablet, and I'm in editing seventh heaventhumb.gif — and while I can still lose my mouse, don't ever deprive me of my Wacomiloveyou.gif tablet!

Art, I have been looking at the VisTablets but have never actually seen/touched one. What is your overall opinion on them when compared to the Wacoms (mini review??)? Which model are you using ... "TheMuse" is a lot more than a c-note.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    The pen and tablet are most useful when you're brushing in retouches and painting in Photoshop masks. I think it's essential for Photoshop since there are so many tools that respond to the pressure/tilt/rotation sensitivity where a mouse has no subtlety at all.

A tablet is not so essential for Lightroom since most adjustments are just clicking buttons and dragging sliders. A tablet is useful in Lightroom when using the Adjustment Brush.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have been using a pen/tablet for years.....did it improve my editing...yes greatly.....I have no real control for retouching with a mouse or even a trackball.....ditched the mouse as soon as I found a trackball and then quit using the trackball when I found my 1st Wacom Graphire ....upgraded recently to a VisTablet....seems to be every bit as good as a Wacom and was well under $100 on Ebay......I still use the trackball for general use just not any pic processing......

Thank! Can you recommend VisTablet?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    The pen and tablet are most useful when you're brushing in retouches and painting in Photoshop masks. I think it's essential for Photoshop since there are so many tools that respond to the pressure/tilt/rotation sensitivity where a mouse has no subtlety at all.

A tablet is not so essential for Lightroom since most adjustments are just clicking buttons and dragging sliders. A tablet is useful in Lightroom when using the Adjustment Brush.

That's what I thought! Thanks!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    ....upgraded recently to a VisTablet....seems to be every bit as good as a Wacom and was well under $100 on Ebay

Thanks for the tip Art. I've been wanting to try a pen/tablet for a while now...this one is certainly priced right.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    I use a Wacom and I think it is useful in both PS and LR. In LR, I use the brush tool a lot, so it helps around the eyes and other places where the detail is fine. I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome from using the mouse too much, so the pen helped get the hand in a different position.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    I just got one about 3 weeks ago... it did take some time to get used to, but now I love it! Especially for a lot of patch tool/ brush tool work.

I got the wacom small, because I wanted to keep the hand movement down to a minimum. It is the perfect size for me.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    I picked up a 10 x 6.25" tablet from monoprice a while back. The price was right and I wanted a nice large tablet for use.

My only previous experience with a tablet was with a Wacom bamboo for about two days before I returned it, and my laptop with a wacom enabled touch screen.

I find the tablet to be a little wonky with LR3 and dual monitors. The cursor has issues with tracking from one monitor to the next. I also never found an advantage to using the tablet in LR3, so I don't.

In PS CS5 I use the tablet just about anytime I spend more then 10 minutes in PS. Deskspace is at a premium so I don't keep the tablet set up and ready to go. In PS the tablet only tracks on the main monitor so a mouse is still needed occasionally by me to access the tools on my second monitor. But I am working on keyboard shortcuts to reduce that.

The monoprice tablet seems to vary the pressures smoothly and I have had no problems with that, in that regards I consider it equivalent to my laptop with its Wacom screen.
    The model of Wacom tablet I have has a protective plastic cover over the active area of th tablet to you can place drawings, photos and so on under the plastic to trace it onto the computer.
    There is a row of shortcut "buttons" on the active area of the tablet that you can select with the pen. These "buttons" are user configurable as well.

The monoprice tablet does not have tilt detection though and the pen does require a battery. Personally I do not find the added girth or weight of the battery in the pen to be a negative though.

Overall feel of the tablet is very nice and sturdy, so I have no concerns of it being too fragile. I do occasionally allow my 5 year old to use it.

This is certainly a tablet I would recommend to somebody without a lot of experience in tablets and looking to try a tablet out, because of the low price. It is also one I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a large tablet at low prices.
    About the only people I would not recommend this to are graphic design professionals that need the tilt detection or people with more money then sense and crave the Wacom brand name.

Finally a link to the tablets offered by Monoprice. I bought the 10x6.25 WITHOUT hotkeys for all of $40.56.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Have used tablets for approx 15 yrs or so (started in PS 3.05 era) - wouldn't dream of doing certain types of stuff with a mouse - latter being a bit like drawing with a pencil stuck in a block of wood :)

pp
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    A tablet had been on my wish list for a while, and finally picked one up a couple of days ago - the Wacom Intuous4, small (for traveling). There is a learning curve - my hand is totally accustomed to different movements - but I can see that when I get used to it, it will be fantastic. It already is.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Been using Wacom tablets for a few years now and couldn't live without it. Mine is always set up on my desk. I use Aperture and PS. Major stuff like moving files around etc. I use the mouse. Editing I use the pen, especially for fine detail work.:D
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Using the mouse was crippling my hand. The tablet saved me. Quality matters, as noted above the Bamboos aren't worth buying. The Intuos4 is great. I also prefer the small. It's the perfect balance of precision and small hand movements for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Using the mouse was crippling my hand. The tablet saved me. Quality matters, as noted above the Bamboos aren't worth buying. The Intuos4 is great. I also prefer the small. It's the perfect balance of precision and small hand movements for me.

Meant to mention about the Monoprice tablet but forgot.

You can reduce and customize the active area of the tablet. So if I did not want to use the entire surface I can reduce it pretty much as small as I want.

I assume that is a standard feature of tablets though.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Toshido wrote: »
    You can reduce and customize the active area of the tablet. So if I did not want to use the entire surface I can reduce it pretty much as small as I want.
    I assume that is a standard feature of tablets though.

It is. Wacom has had that feature for probably over 10 years. The Wacom software lets you map proportionally or disproportionately, use the tablet upside down or sideways, or map the tablet across multiple monitors. It is good that Monoprice has a cheaper alternative.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I use Wacom Bamboo, for some reason i just can't get a hang of it. Some things irritate me and i get back to my track ball. I've purchased a new IMac and my photoshop isn't working well with my Wacom, not sure what the problem is. headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Have used tablets for approx 15 yrs or so (started in PS 3.05 era) - wouldn't dream of doing certain types of stuff with a mouse - latter being a bit like drawing with a pencil stuck in a block of wood :)

pp

:):):)
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    I just ordered one. Let's see how it works out for me....!