Options

Firefox 4.0 Has Been Released

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited March 26, 2011 in The Big Picture
It seems to be peppier than 3.x. The new tab groups and app tabs will take a little getting used to, but so far, I like them. A few of my add-ons were not compatible. Hopefully, new versions will be forthcoming.

Anyone notice any bugs so far?

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    No crashes for me yet, and it definitely seems snappier! I'm also waiting on some extension updates...
    Chris
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Haven't got it yet, but if it solves the "blank page" and endless hanging issues I've had with 3.x, then I'll be happy. Seriously - despite being a devoted FF user I've nearly switched to Chrome in recent weeks, so this can't come soon enough for me.....
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Anyone notice any bugs so far?
    It still does not come with a free year of SmugMug. :D
  • Options
    HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    So far so good for me. Appears to be snappier loading.
    I did read that the sync tool may be questionable... so beware, loosing bookmarks into virtual heaven and such.
    I use Xmarks for sync and seems to work fine. Have not tested further in FF 4.0.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Just downloaded it this morning. So far, so good. Seems MUCH peppier.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Haven't got it yet, but if it solves the "blank page" and endless hanging issues I've had with 3.x, then I'll be happy. Seriously - despite being a devoted FF user I've nearly switched to Chrome in recent weeks, so this can't come soon enough for me.....

What do you mean blank pages and hanging issues....????

I have over 20 FF browser windows open and some with as many as 75 tabs...the only time I have issues is when my laptop gets warm but since I added my CoolerMaster cooler I have not had any problems.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have over 20 FF browser windows open and some with as many as 75 tabs...

:-) safe bet you're not using Windows ?! Or has windows 7 become that stable?

Your problem is not finding something on the net anymore.. it's finding the right window then the right tab... can Spotlight be made to search open browser windows/tabs?

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011

I have over 20 FF browser windows open and some with as many as 75 tabs...the only time I have issues is when my laptop gets warm but since I added my CoolerMaster cooler I have not had any problems.....

Nothing to do with number of tabs afaik. I've had it happen on multiple machines (home and elsewhere), running different versions of Windows (XP of various flavours and Vista), accessing different websites (including google, yahoomail and yup, dgrin). You'll try to get a page to come in and it will hang and hang and hang and hang and then... give you a blank white page. On hitting "refresh" the page will appear almost instantly (so it's THERE, it just doesn't display).

Some people have problems with the about:blank you'll sometimes get when clicking a link, too.

It seemed to get worse about 6 months ago, just around the time there was an "upgrade" to v3. I seriously hope it's resolved!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011

Art, looks like your keys are sticking on your keyboard, cause your post says 20 Browser windows and 75 tabs!:giggleheadscratch.gifgiggle
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011

angevin1 wrote: »
    Art, looks like your keys are sticking on your keyboard, cause your post says 20 Browser windows and 75 tabs!:giggleheadscratch.gifgiggle

bowdown.gif
    I nominate Art for "Multi-Tasking of the Year Award" rolleyes1.gifrofl

Art, I do that too. I start researching and reading, then before I know it I've got windows open all over the place on three screens, one laptop and two on the tower. Pretty sick, huh?

I leave them open too so I don't loose where I was if not done learning the content. Yah, I know use bookmarks... sometimes I do.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    Installed. It hung on first opening "FIrefox is not responding", but once it booted and started, it is WAY faster. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    endless hanging issues I've had

Installed. It hung on first opening "FIrefox is not responding", but once it booted and started, it is WAY faster. Here's hoping!

i think you have other problems
    it cannot be firefox

i never had this , not in any version
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    I thought that at first with the hanging/about:blank page thing too, but it happened in too many different scenarios for it to have been specific to one machine/OS/location, so couldn't imagine what it might be. It happened on the university machine I use (XP) as well as home laptop (vista 32), home desktop (XP Pro) etc etc. I wish I could figure out what it is, though, because it's a pain!

Hasn't happened yet in 4, however, which has been runnning beautifully since that initial glitch (which I suspect was because a few other things updated themselves at the same time and I didn't get a clean reboot back into it).
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Using it now on my Win7 64bit box. Very smooth :)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    Very smooth here so far, now have to install IE9 also!

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    :-) safe bet you're not using Windows ?! Or has windows 7 become that stable?

Your problem is not finding something on the net anymore.. it's finding the right window then the right tab... can Spotlight be made to search open browser windows/tabs?

cheers,
    Nick.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a Dell Studio 17 laptop ......I have never had that problem....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »

When I wrote that I had just bookmarked 2 browser windows with over 100 tabs.....it is not uncommon for me and twice a day at least I will save my largest browser / tab combos...just incase...

• Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    HDRoamer wrote: »
    bowdown.gif
    I nominate Art for "Multi-Tasking of the Year Award" rolleyes1.gifrofl

Yah, I know use bookmarks... sometimes I do.

I book mark danged near everything all the time.....once a week I go thru and purge stuff that is unimportant....tabs for bank, utility companies etc etc......but I have daily bookmarks also and everything is filed by date of bookmark...things I use a lot are in the bookmark toolbar and other stuff is in the regular bookmarks........I currently have approx 10 pages of bookmarks in folders.....not just BM's but folders of BM's .............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif I hoard web addresses:cry:Drolleyes1.gif:D:D:D

• Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    I have been using it for two days now, and I'm quite pleased. It's stable and fast. The new app tabs and tab groups rock. They make browsing more fluid once you get them organized to suit your own usage patterns. I wish you didn't have to switch to the panorama view in order to select a different tab group, but I expect someone will come up with an extension to handle that soon enough.* I didn't like the default placement of the reload button and tab group button, but you can customize the placement of just about everything. Once I moved them to the left of the URL bar, it felt a lot more natural. I had been using Chrome fairly often recently, but I think I'm going to stick to FF for now--at least till we see what Chrome 11 looks like mwink.gif.

*Edit: There is already an extension called Tab Groups Menu that comes pretty close to what I want. It installed perfectly and did not require a restart. Nice.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    I have been using it for two days now, and I'm quite pleased. It's stable and fast. The new app tabs and tab groups rock. They make browsing more fluid once you get them organized to suit your own usage patterns. I wish you didn't have to switch to the panorama view in order to select a different tab group, but I expect someone will come up with an extension to handle that soon enough.* I didn't like the default placement of the reload button and tab group button, but you can customize the placement of just about everything. Once I moved them to the left of the URL bar, it felt a lot more natural. I had been using Chrome fairly often recently, but I think I'm going to stick to FF for now--at least till we see what Chrome 11 looks like mwink.gif.

*Edit: There is already an extension called Tab Groups Menu that comes pretty close to what I want. It installed perfectly and did not require a restart. Nice.

Thanks for that link Richard! After reading it over once, I am still not sure what this '"oddon is?" I was going to suggest perhaps users might post here on their favorite uses for FF...like Panorama view...What is panorama view?...is that the same as hitting f11? I use f11 often when looking at photos.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Panorama view is just a screen that shows the tab groups and lets you create new ones. It's sort of like Spaces in OS-X.
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Anyone using a webmail program and found that it doesn't work in FF4?

My mail (which is Tiscali) now tells me I have "Undefined new mails" in my inbox. I know mail is working because i can get my mail on the wife's machine, and it works also in Internet Explorer. But I don't like IE...too slow...

Any ideas, anyone?
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    If you don't feel like getting used to the new look you can revert back to classic style in the orange drop down menu.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Anyone using a webmail program and found that it doesn't work in FF4?

My mail (which is Tiscali) now tells me I have "Undefined new mails" in my inbox. I know mail is working because i can get my mail on the wife's machine, and it works also in Internet Explorer. But I don't like IE...too slow...

Any ideas, anyone?

Yahoo and Gmail works.
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    HDRoamer wrote: »
    Yahoo and Gmail works.

Been given a link to http://mail2web.com which picks up my emails...quite useful. :)
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Panorama view is just a screen that shows the tab groups and lets you create new ones.

huh? Can't find any Panorama view in my Firefox menu's ... how to get there ? Or is this an add-on ?
    dtw78 wrote: »
    If you don't feel like getting used to the new look you can revert back to classic style in the orange drop down menu.

huh? orange drop down menu? must be some Windows version thing then because I don't see any orange menu's...

But I like the new firefox !

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    huh? Can't find any Panorama view in my Firefox menu's ... how to get there ? Or is this an add-on ?
    That's just another name for the tab groups view. There is a little button on the right in the default view that goes to it.
    huh? orange drop down menu? must be some Windows version thing then because I don't see any orange menu's...Nick.
    I haven't installed it on a Mac yet, but I'm guessing it works the same. On my Windows machine, the menu bar was enabled when the program installed, probably because it was there in my previous config. Go to View->Toolbars and uncheck the menu bar. It will be gone and an orange dropdown will appear in the title bar. This frees up one line and puts the tabs at the top. If you prefer having a menu bar, you can get it back from the Options entry in the dropdown. deal.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Has anyone tried SmugBrowser, Web Developer or Firebug yet? Unless these work in FF4 I can't afford to upgrade.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited March 26, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Has anyone tried SmugBrowser, Web Developer or Firebug yet? Unless these work in FF4 I can't afford to upgrade.
    Web developer works, haven't tried the others.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Web Dev, Firebug, work fine.