Options

Speedlights vs Other Strobes?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited March 27, 2011 in Technique
I am setting up a basic two light setup...shoot through umbrellas or maybe softboxes. My basic question is...am I better off getting..say 300-400 w/s strobes or will sb-600 speedlights be good enough? What type of output do speedlights give out? I understand that w/s doesn't translate directly to speedlights but is there anyone who knows a basic comparison?

I am aiming to shoot small to medium size groups indoors...

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    mpriest13 wrote: »
    I am setting up a basic two light setup...shoot through umbrellas or maybe softboxes. My basic question is...am I better off getting..say 300-400 w/s strobes or will sb-600 speedlights be good enough? What type of output do speedlights give out? I understand that w/s doesn't translate directly to speedlights but is there anyone who knows a basic comparison?

I am aiming to shoot small to medium size groups indoors...

I am a flash-gun fan myself. But, I will say this considering your app, it is typically easier to turn lights off or down than to create light out of thin air.

You don't have your profile filled out with gear, so I am not certain what Nikon gear you are using. I will say if I were just an inside shooter I'd be inclined to go with Ab', WL, Einstein's or some such versus flash-guns, That if I felt I needed to provide total lighting as in lighting the ambient too.

Having said all that Flash-guns will work just as well, and there are many variables to consider, such as using some of the ambient light available, Gels to match ambient, and then directing your flash to give you your desired outcome.

I think if I were using a modifier inside for groups and such it'd be a couple of umbrellas to spill light in a broader coverage. perhaps even three umbrellas along with some bounce above...too many variables to consider.

I know you asked about Wattseconds, I am not well versed in those techy details. I know I do not feel limited by my flash-guns, and I know I can pick them up and put them on a stand or on the sand on an island with no added power needed. I would suggest as an example of comparison that the AB400 has about 4 times the output of a SB600, so a LOT of light available there!
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    mpriest13 wrote: »
    I am setting up a basic two light setup

I ran right over this...if using Speedlights/flash-guns get more than two!
    tom wise