Options

Lighting Setup Questions?

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited March 27, 2011 in Technique
Ok..so I need an off camera lighting setup that is versatile in both portability and simplicity. What I need to know is if what I have in mind will be any good at all. This is all pretty new to me so please bare with me.

I was thinking of simply using two Sb-600's ( I already have one) on stands with softboxes and/or umbrellas. My questions is will they give me enough power to shoot larger groups. I want to be able to shoot larger group portraits but have the portability to use one flash off camera for outdoor portraits like seniors and engagement sessions.

My other questions should I get the Nikon SU-800 to trigger them or do I need to get pocketwizards or a cheaper brand of radio triggers?

This seems like a pretty inexpensive way to get some decent off camera lighting. Would I be better off buying a kit? How do the Nikon Speedlights compare to some of the lights (300w/s) in the ready made kits that are available.

Thanks in advance...I am still very much in the learning stage with it comes to external lighting.

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2011
    I use the bare minimum.
    1 sb800 on a stand shooting through an umbrella style softbox.
    Stand and softbox cost about $100. total.
    I control the flash with my on camera flash in commander mode.
    I shoot little groups and big groups with it. Just gets er done.

Truth is for large wedding groups I normally just use my flash on a bracket and bounce it off the ceiling or outside use it straight on as fill. That is bare bones and it works.

I like to keep things simple and put my energy into the posing and working with the people.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    I use the bare minimum.
    1 sb800 on a stand shooting through an umbrella style softbox.
    Stand and softbox cost about $100. total.
    I control the flash with my on camera flash in commander mode.
    I shoot little groups and big groups with it. Just gets er done.

Truth is for large wedding groups I normally just use my flash on a bracket and bounce it off the ceiling or outside use it straight on as fill. That is bare bones and it works.

I like to keep things simple and put my energy into the posing and working with the people.

I really appreciate your input Zoomer..I am a big fan of your work.

Ok...that makes great sense. When you say your on camera flash are you talking about another speedlight on your camera or the pop up flash if you have one. My D300 does. If so, are you using that light on the photo affecting the exposure or just to trigger the SB800? Does that make sense? Where do you position your speedlight and softbox?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    mpriest13 wrote: »
    I really appreciate your input Zoomer..I am a big fan of your work.

Ok...that makes great sense. When you say your on camera flash are you talking about another speedlight on your camera or the pop up flash if you have one. My D300 does. If so, are you using that light on the photo affecting the exposure or just to trigger the SB800? Does that make sense? Where do you position your speedlight and softbox?

Yes I use my d700 with pop up flash in commander mode (does not contribute to exposure) when using the off camera sb800 speedlight with softbox.
    For large wedding groups I use the D3 with a flash bracket sb800 and bounce it inside, or straight on as fill outside, normally put the sun at their back use the flash (full power) for fill and let the background go if it is sunny, or put them in the shade with a shady background (less power on flash) and correct the green cast in post.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    well I was going to add my way less than 2 cents worth...but decided it was much easier to just agree with ZOOMER than retype most of what I read...glad I read all the posts...save me a lot of typo correcting....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    I use SB600's and Sunpack PZ42X's along with Yongnuo RF602's most of the time, and get some great results. I dont have iTTL control when using the RF602's, but thats not a big deal for me. The Sunpacks are awesome alternatives to the SB600's if you use a wireless trigger instead of your Commander Mode. Using the PZ42X's and RF602's is deffinitely a very cost effective setup.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Your D300 allows you to control your SB600s from the camera as separate groups if you want. You can have the pop-up contribute to the exposure or not as you wish. I usually do not.

I have two hints:
    1. Always make sure your I/R windows on the speedlights are pointing at the camera
    2. Trust me on this one. Some people have such blazing fast reaction times that their eyes will begin to blink with the preflashes from the pop-up before your speedlights go off. Nikon makes a little gizmo called an SG-3IR which convert the output from the pop-up to IR. It was designed for macro shooting, but works like a dream to prevent this squinting phenomenon. It's a whopping $12 at B&H. BTW some people will scoff at this and tell you that it can't happen. All that means is that it hasn't happened to them yet.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Yes I use my d700 with pop up flash in commander mode (does not contribute to exposure) when using the off camera sb800 speedlight with softbox.
    For large wedding groups I use the D3 with a flash bracket sb800 and bounce it inside, or straight on as fill outside, normally put the sun at their back use the flash (full power) for fill and let the background go if it is sunny, or put them in the shade with a shady background (less power on flash) and correct the green cast in post.

Ok...all that makes great sense but I have one (probably stupid) question. How do you use the popup flash and have it NOT contribute to the exposure. If the flash goes off won't it affect the final result in some way. My only guess is that you are far enough back that the little popup flash doesn't have enough power to make a difference. Is that correct?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2011
    How do you use the popup flash and have it NOT contribute to the exposure.
    in your menu it'll look like this
    Built in Flash --- 1/8 (grayed out)
    Group A TTL 0
    Group B TTL 0

Of course you can set those groups to --- which is off, or AA or M too, and then over further to the right you adjust the light output in TTL it is +/_ EV, in Manual it is power 1, 1/2, 1/8th and so on. But the --- lines means not on for the groups and not contributing for the main or pop up flash.
    If the flash goes off won't it affect the final result in some way.
    Yes. you will get little pin lights in the eyes as a reflection of the Pop-up, but that is about all, other than what John warned about folks noticing the preflashes. (see example photo below)
    My onley guess is that you are far enough back that the little popup flash doesn't have enough power to make a difference. Is that correct?

I shoot quite close with the pop-up as commander and if I'm really bothered by the little pin-lights, I can get rid/clone out in post!

Example of Camera pop-up contributing it's little pin-lights to the eyes!
    1222079604_2dH8N-L.jpg
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    How do you use the popup flash and have it NOT contribute to the exposure. If the flash goes off won't it affect the final result in some way. My only guess is that you are far enough back that the little popup flash doesn't have enough power to make a difference. Is that correct?

In your D300's Custom Settings Menu e3 (Flash Control for Built-in Flash) Set to Commander Mode. Under "Built-in Flash" "Mode" select "--" and your pop-up flash will only fire the pre-flashes necessary to control the other flashes. It will not contribute to the exposure.

If you get all anal about it and set the camera up in front of a mirror, yes, you will actually be able to see a little spark of light from the pop-up in the image, but it is not affecting your lighting.

Do you have a manual for your D300? You might look at pages 291-297. I know it's a Nikon manual, so is barely comprehensible, but there's good info in there. deal.gif
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2011
    Oh, Tom, that's really a nice image.
    John :
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! That's exactly what I was looking for. That is why I love this forum..such great advice can be found here. clap.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Oh, Tom, that's really a nice image.

Thanks John! :)
    tom wise