Options

New Samyang 35 1.4

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited March 29, 2011 in Cameras
http://dpreview.com/news/1103/11030705samyang35mm.asp

How do you think this will compare to Canon's 35 f2? I'm sure the Canon L beats the Samyang (look at the price) but how good will this be?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited March 7, 2011
    Optically the latest Samyang lenses are pretty good, but since this is a manual focus lens it has a potentially much different audience and application than the AF lenses of the same focal length.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2011
    Ah, didn't realize that, thanks.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    I remember someone saying that Samyang was going
    to release an f/1.2 version of the 35 for Canon mount?
    Seems this is not happening. Does someone know more?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Take a look at some of the Zeiss range and I don't think you'll find many that'll argue about top of the line optics, but they're manual focus and siginificantly cheaper than L glass ..... so price isn't always an indicator (at least they were when I was looking at a Planar *T for my DSLR a year ago).

It's the manual focus that makes the difference (as Ziggy pointed out), the vast majority of the the modern DSLR and accessory market want/need auto anything, auto everything.

If you're prepared to look around and play with manual focus gear, you can pick up some amazing glass from Germany, Russia and other manufacturers at ridiculously cheap prices. My old Samyang 2.8/28mm prime and Helios 2.0/50mm prime used to get a lot of use before I switched from using DSLRs.

Even with the move to MF digital I'm keeping my eyes open for older manual focus gear and just bought an Arsat 645 30mm Wide Angle lens (works out around the 17mm equivalent fov for a FF SLR) for under $400. Amazing glass, well built, but manual focus so it's cheap :)
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com