Options

Inspiration

NeuralLotusNeuralLotus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited March 30, 2011 in The Big Picture
So, for the past two years, I have used my camera maybe five to eight times, and I'm really wanting to make this number a lot larger. This number used to be a lot closer to 20 to 30 times, per year, but lately I have not been finding much inspiration, and I now miss photography a lot and need some help figuring out how to get back into it.

I think the main issue is that two years ago I transitioned from high school to college, home to a dorm, and a small arts school to a quadruply as large college in a double physics/math major. And it's definitely not that I don't have time, I have plenty of time, I just can't seem to find anything that piques my interest enough. Or maybe the issue is that while studying math and physics, I am also studying guitar, independently studying Japanese, and fencing four hours a week, so I just have all of my interests filled as much as I need and don't desire anything more, in terms of academics. But I still can't help wanting to get back into photography. I don't really know what to do from here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmmmm... blarrgh...

Comments

• Options
    AAABluestockingAAABluestocking Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
    Why not leverage off of your other interests? Take pictures of guitars, Japanese things and fencing. It's kind of a mindset

But it sounds like to me that all your creative energies are taken up with other things. You need to allow some mental 'space' for photographic ideas to hatch.

Start paying attention to light ~ maybe a repeated affirmation would help and see what happens.

Good luck!

~ Nancy
    My SmugMug Galleries
    Learn the various techniques to make all things possible and then choose deliberately which you actually want-rutt
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    So, for the past two years, I have used my camera maybe five to eight times, and I'm really wanting to make this number a lot larger. This number used to be a lot closer to 20 to 30 times, per year, but lately I have not been finding much inspiration, and I now miss photography a lot and need some help figuring out how to get back into it.

I think the main issue is that two years ago I transitioned from high school to college, home to a dorm, and a small arts school to a quadruply as large college in a double physics/math major. And it's definitely not that I don't have time, I have plenty of time, I just can't seem to find anything that piques my interest enough. Or maybe the issue is that while studying math and physics, I am also studying guitar, independently studying Japanese, and fencing four hours a week, so I just have all of my interests filled as much as I need and don't desire anything more, in terms of academics. But I still can't help wanting to get back into photography. I don't really know what to do from here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think the affirmations mentioned above are great if you are open to suggestion.

Joining a photography group also seems to help some folks.

We have the Dgrin Challenges right here, and there are some decent prizes for motivation besides getting critiques and help.

What inspires you in this life? You're a physics and Math major, perhaps looking for structure and order in the natural world would stimulate you?
    tom wise