Options

5D Mk.III ... when ?!

DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited March 31, 2011 in Cameras
What do we expect and when?

I would think the latest in AF and hope for better high ISO performance and higher burst rate, although I wouldn't need that last one (have 7D).

Normally when I buy something it won't take a week before a new model comes out but I do not have a clue when a new 5D can be expected... anybody ?

ciao!
Nick.
ciao!
Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2011
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    After the massive quake in Japan, any reports stated of a quarter is most likely pushed back further.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    After the massive quake in Japan, any reports stated of a quarter is most likely pushed back further.

That's for sure, but I had no idea they actually planned to launch it this year... thanks for that site Andy :)

I've read that everything from Canon, Nikon, Sony will be hard to get, empty shelves and high prices. Same for 2nd hand. Japan will need funds to rebuild so I hope they manage to get their economy going again soon. It's the thing with natural disasters: after all the tragedy you still have to cope with rebuilding and a collapsed economy... exactly at a time you're vulnerable. My thoughts are with the Japanese people.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,910 moderator
    edited March 30, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    That's for sure, but I had no idea they actually planned to launch it this year... thanks for that site Andy :)

Unfortunately the site that Andy listed is a "rumor" site with no better information than anyone else. They have been predicting a Canon 3D for years now.

http://www.canonrumors.com/category/canon-general/page/28/

Canon will introduce a new 5D series camera when they think it is the right time. I have no doubt that something is already planned but I do doubt that Canon will use the same image processor as is current. At this point I think the long rumored 1Ds MKIV (1Ds III replacement at any rate) is more likely to show first. (Just my own guess.)

If you really need a 5D MKII now is a pretty good time to buy one. They are tried and true and we know the capabilities and issues fairly well. The new price is down $200 over launch (Feb 2009), which just shows that sales are still strong. There were nearly 3.5 years between the first 5D and the 5D MKII so the same spacing would put a 5D MKIII at the end of 2012, or so.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 30, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    There were nearly 3.5 years between the first 5D and the 5D MKII so the same spacing would put a 5D MKIII at the end of 2012, or so.
    That's a really good observation.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Oh gawd, not this again!
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    Um... if you scroll down on this page, the table says the 5D was released in the 3rd quarter 2005, and the Mark II in the 3rd qtr. of 2008. Based on this, a 5D3 would be in the 3rd qtr. of 2011.

But I think the delays in manufacturing combined with the earthquake will push the announcement into 2012. The 60D was delayed, the 1Ds4 is delayed... see a pattern here?

As for the features, I think it will have close-to-7D AF, but not quite 7D. Just my guess, but 7D AF is certainly not out of the question. The latest in AF (ie 1DIV) will certainly not be present here unless Canon goes the MF-type, super-hi-res and slow, $10K with the 1Ds3 replacement (if this is the case, why would they call it a 1Ds4?). In this case, the 5D3 would become the main FF body in the lineup, with the niche 1Ds4 at the top in the IQ department (I'm talking 40-60mp and either MF-type or even MF with a new lens mount).

And fps. Unless the 1Ds3 replacement is what I said above, I can't see it being more than 4fps. Of course, if they make a 32mp FF 8-10fps camera (1Ds4 or 1D5) then I bet the 5D3 will get 5fps. But 8fps would just challenge the 1Ds3 replacement IF the next 1Ds is a "regular" upgrade. I mean, if you had the choice between a 5D3 with 28mp, 8fps, and 7D AF (let's say $3500) and a 1Ds4 with 40mp, 5fps, and 1D AF ($8000) which would you choose? You'd pay $4.5K for a little better AF and better build? Even if it had seven...

Oh well, I can't keep track of all this. My guess is 28mp, 4fps, and almost-7D AF for the 5D3. 1Ds4 I have no idea. It could be MF or MF-like, it could be a 1D-1Ds merge, it could be a regular upgrade to the 1Ds3. Timetable? My guess is fall 2011 or spring 2012 for the 5D3 and who-knows-when-if-ever for the 1Ds4.

Yes, I can't help checking canonrumors frequently, but I will admit that they're not reliable.

A factor is the D4 and D800.

The 1Ds4 thread.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2011
    DSLR body release cycles vary from 12 months to 3.5 years, as others have mentioned. A safe bet is usually 18 months for advanced amateur DSLR bodies, or ~3 years for semi-pro and pro DSLR bodies. I would say that, not counting any slowing in the Japanese economy, :-( ...we ought to see a 5D mk2 any time starting this coming summer and at by summer 2012 at the latest.

Also a factor is Nikon's release cycle, and all the signs have pointed to an August / fall / winter release of their next flagship camera, a D4. Nikon has been QUITE consistent about their release of new flagship cameras, even back to the film days they have been almost EXACTLY four years apart each and every time.

To avoid starting a fight, I'll just say that for marketing reasons, Canon won't want to release a 5D mk3 right as Nikon releases a D4, just as much as Nikon would prefer the same.

Anyways, my bet is late 2011 or early 2012...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    Going to be an exciting year for full-frame shooters if the 5D MKIII and the D4 come out later this year. We cannot wait for either camera!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    I'm guessing late '11 optimistically. With the quake it'll probably bump into '12. I hope they improve low light and AF mainly, with a small bump in resolution (or large if they have come up with a new great pixel technology)