Options

My heart nearly stopped!!!!!

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited April 3, 2011 in The Big Picture
Needed to off load some pix so I could head off to a retirement / birthday party shoot.....so I plug in my current working drive......damn thing starts sputtering the lights on flickering and it will not show up in Disk management...so I switch to my back up ....same thing.... and then the 3 rd copy....same thing...my heart is racing and pounding like Vesuvius when it buried Pompey....time was running out so I dumped the files onto my c drive and left to go shoot......

Came home...fired up the 'puter and plugged in main working drive....again it filckered and sputtered...and so did the other 2........damn how can 3 drives go bad in less than 2 days and at the same time.....it they had been western digital or maxtors I would have expected it...but not Seagate......I have lost a Seagate drive but never 2 or 3 out of the same batch......so I unplugged my tablet and plugged in my working drive again......it fired up, quiet and smooth no hitch......no I feel I can sleep.........check the 2 copy drives...all good.....heart rate down, pulse - normal and blood sugars dropping..........cold sweat gone.........I do have all of the jpgs stored on SM but I was worried about my DNGssssss..........

Moral ....I need an AC power cable for my laptop cooler and the 2 other usb docks.....they all accept power supplies I just did not purchase them when i purchased the docks or cooler....dummy me......

Yup that scared the bejeezers out of me.......:huh:huh..........and some other stuff also:D
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Believe you me brother, i was in the same boat a few days ago. The only difference was that i had been emptying the recycle bin on the laptop and it went onn for too long. Next i discover i had been deleting files off my external hardrive that was plugged into my laptop at the same time.
    Luckily like me you had your files on another hardrive too.
    These moments in life we all could do without. I have an old seagate gone dead and i rever got it fixed as i was told that if i keep the drive there is a chance that the pictures are still on there until i get it fixed.
    So i wish you well and hope that this dosent happen to you again.
    Makes you wonder if you have your photographs stored on old hardrives how long they really last for.
    I was thinking of backing up my hardrives onto dual layer dvds but even they have a limited life span too. What do you think?

Regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Patrick I gve up all Cd/DVD media when I found that my latest purchase of 100 disks were all corrupt after loading with images....my typing is so slow I loaded all the images and then went back to catalog....this was many many years ago a....so I was not as educated on stuff corrupting as I am now and I had deleted all my files, the OS was Win 95 and it kept telling my files were too large for the recycle bin and so I just let it totally delete....it took several years to find a recovery program that could recover them from the CD/DVD media...now even when I am upgrading my drives (from 500 gb to 2 TB and such) I do not delete the originals for a while to make sure the new drives seem stable, before splitting them up into their respective storage places......Also I never totally fill storage media of any sort.........

I am now relatively certain that the prob was not enuff USB power getting thru from the laptop to the various docks I have daisy chained........I moved all 3 drives
    up to the first dock (laptop cooler) and they ran silently & smoothly all night......which takes a load off my mind, however as soon as I find a sale locally on 1.5 to 2tb HDD I will get 3 more as spares............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website