Options

C & C Please First Engagement Shoot

imagesbytmarieimagesbytmarie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited April 4, 2011 in Weddings
I did my first ever engagement shoot today! It was free and it was practice.
Please be rough and tell me what I need to do better. (I am not doing their wedding, they are complete strangers to me and have hired a real wedding photographer.
1235116369_yw5L3-M-1.jpg
1235114769_DyQM4-M-1.jpg
1235115703_UrMn3-M-1.jpg
1235121499_zYGxf-M-1.jpg
1235125815_xWkD2-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2011
    please check to see id links are "enabled" in your galleries
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    please check to see id links are "enabled" in your galleries

Thanks, I figured it out..... by reading the "posting images on DGrin post" - go figure, lol.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    1 - bump up the blacks a bit, make the blacks well blacker. I'd like this a teeny bit more too if he wasn't actually looking at her I think but it's cute overall.

2 - did you smooth the skin out or does it naturally look like that? sun light is very harsh lighting, but it's a nice pose, love her sapphire ring (I can only assume that must be a sapphire) Might do with a touch of softening up the image (but don't overdo it)

3 - this one is my favorite of the set

4 - I'm not really a big fan of selective coloring. I'd prefer the background where the woman is be a bit more bokeh / out of focus, but otherwise like the idea.

5 - Another good idea in theory, I think it would be a ton better if only the hands were in focus and then everything else blurred out.

I hope that doesn't come across too mean, it isn't meant to be, but you said be rough so I'm just giving you my true first impressions. Keep at it! We only get better each time :)
  • Options
    vivalaveritasvivalaveritas Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    I would have to agree with Shima

Number one is just a bit boring. More contrast would make it more powerful.
    I like number 3
    Number five needs a bit more to work. IMO it's a bit too cool in color. Plus I'm distracted by their clothing that is visible within the heart.

But this is just MHO
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    If you use lightroom to process that last one could be helped into better shot with a graduated filter to brighten the faces but not the hands.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2011
    You guys are being too kind! I want to do better, I want to actually really charge people for my service, rather than just gas money. But I have this complex issue that nothing is ever good enough so I never have the guts to charge.

#1. More black, got it! Now that you mention it, I can see where it would make it look so much better.
    #2. I did a little skin smoothing, but she did some fake tan stuff the night before...... ya, so she had some strange streaking going on.
    #3. This is my favorite too......
    #4. I think color spotting is hokey, but I do get asked if I know how to do it by people! Is there a way to blur the background after taking the picture that does not look bad? I am not really good at photoshop and know how to do about 3 things on it.
    #5. We tried that shot about 25 different ways. Very difficult. But I like it and will continue trying to perfect it.

Thanks again, if you have anything else, or want to be harsher, PLEASE DO!!
    I really do want to learn.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2011
    You guys are being too kind! I want to do better, I want to actually really charge people for my service, rather than just gas money. But I have this complex issue that nothing is ever good enough so I never have the guts to charge.

#1. More black, got it! Now that you mention it, I can see where it would make it look so much better.
    #2. I did a little skin smoothing, but she did some fake tan stuff the night before...... ya, so she had some strange streaking going on.
    #3. This is my favorite too......
    #4. I think color spotting is hokey, but I do get asked if I know how to do it by people! Is there a way to blur the background after taking the picture that does not look bad? I am not really good at photoshop and know how to do about 3 things on it.
    #5. We tried that shot about 25 different ways. Very difficult. But I like it and will continue trying to perfect it.

Thanks again, if you have anything else, or want to be harsher, PLEASE DO!!
    I really do want to learn.

You have to be really careful not to soften skin and make it noticeable... cuz I noticed it and I shouldn't if it's done properly.

Ideally you'll take things with great depth of field...what lens are you using? 2.8 can get ok bokeh, but if you have any primes that go do 1.2-2.0 range it'd be even more ideal. Since you're just starting I'm going to guess you probably don't have any really nice primes yet (since they're costly generally). I'm hoping you have at least a 2.8 zoom lens though :)
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Well you asked for it...and I will give it to you. :)

First off, all your images look to me like someone bought a DSLR from Bestbuy and figured that they can do this photography bit! Sorry, but that is the feeling I get by just looking at them. There is no chemistry between the couple that I feel. The only reason this can be is that the photographer didn't make the couple comfortable. I say only reason is cause they obviously are in love if they are engaged to be married.

So how can you improve on this? Well, check out pictures of the many excellent photogs on here. Don't look at mine..I am still learning like you. Few things to learn are lighting, composition, use of dof, posing, post processing and also learn to feel the moment in the photos. Click when that moment is right. I have images that were slightly out of focus cause I was not ready, but the subjects love it! I was shocked..but figured out why...the moment was captured.

As for your shots...#1 - there is no contrast like it was said here already. For example, his shirt almost mixes in with the background. Jeans mix in as well. Perhaps this one may be better in color?

#2 - The smooth skinning is not working. The expression is also off...again..I do not feel the moment here.
    #3 - is your best and I like it too. But, he is too stiff. She is more into it. Why else does it work? Look at the lighting..she is rim lighted and brings out her body shape quite nicely
    #4 - I am usually a fan of selective colors, but here it doesn't work. I think, cause the blacks are not blacks. Also the composition is off..she is too far off and there is too much fluff on the right side of the frame. It doesn't add to the image IMHO.
    #5 - Yeah..no....totally amateur shot..misuse of the flash, no bokeh, the coupls are not into it...and so on.

Hope this helps more than it hurts! Btw..this is are just my opinion...I am no Master Photographer! Far from it.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    wildviper wrote: »
    Well you asked for it...and I will give it to you. :)Thanks!

First off, all your images look to me like someone bought a DSLR from Bestbuy and figured that they can do this photography bit! Sorry, but that is the feeling I get by just looking at them. Well, I was a photojournalist for the Air Force and decided to try it out in the real world. Unfortunately, there was not teaching of poses. We were there to document things, not set them up for documentation. And the cameras were not quite what I could buy to use out in the real world, so I am relearning and learning alot about it. Maybe I cannot switch over into "Posed" photography. There is no chemistry between the couple that I feel. The only reason this can be is that the photographer didn't make the couple comfortable. They were very nice people. We talked and talked, I am not sure how to make them more comfortable...... tips? I say only reason is cause they obviously are in love if they are engaged to be married.

So how can you improve on this? Well, check out pictures of the many excellent photogs on here. Don't look at mine..I am still learning like you. Few things to learn are lighting, composition, use of dof, posing This is one I definitely need help with. How are they to feel comfortable if I am posing them? , post processing definitely need to practice this, I do not have much experience in it. It still amazes me that you cannot just take a picture, it has to be touched up, edited and completely changed before it is acceptable. Has it always been this way? and also learn to feel the moment in the photos. Click when that moment is right. I have images that were slightly out of focus cause I was not ready, but the subjects love it! I was shocked..but figured out why...the moment was captured.

As for your shots...#1 - there is no contrast like it was said here already. For example, his shirt almost mixes in with the background. Jeans mix in as well. Perhaps this one may be better in color?

#2 - The smooth skinning is not working. The expression is also off...again..I do not feel the moment here. Ya, I wanted to capture the ring in this photo. I thought it was unique. So I kind of pretzel bended them the way I wanted. (Did I tell you I talked them into letting me practice some poses on them?)
    #3 - is your best and I like it too. But, he is too stiff. She is more into it. Why else does it work? Look at the lighting..she is rim lighted and brings out her body shape quite nicely
    #4 - I am usually a fan of selective colors, but here it doesn't work. I think, cause the blacks are not blacks. Also the composition is off..she is too far off and there is too much fluff on the right side of the frame. It doesn't add to the image IMHO.
    #5 - Yeah..no....totally amateur shot..misuse of the flash, no bokeh, the coupls are not into it...and so on. I took so many of these, experimenting on angles, lighting. Just could not figure out what to do, sigh.

Hope this helps more than it hurts! Btw..this is are just my opinion...I am no Master Photographer! Far from it.

This does help! Thank You! I want to be better. But now I am wondering if this is even something I can do! Lol, Why cant I just take pictures and people be happy with reality!

P.S. Even though I talked them into it, they ended up loving them and she asked me to do her Bridal pictures, lol. Isnt that some strange kicker. I almost feel like refusing and telling her to get her real wedding photographer to do them, my sense of ability is simply not there right now.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    The point of my post is for you to get better...practice, learn, practice, learn, practice and more practice!

As for getting that chemistry...I think a lot of times a photographer's nervousness comes through. I know I have been nervous cause I couldn't figure out my gear for a particular situation...my nerves crossed over to my subjects and the pictures showed it! So...get better with your equipment under many different situations.

Post processing is important...even Ansel Adams did this...sure, not with Photoshop..but in the darkroom and even before the photos are taken. The old days were tough...these days, we just "think"..oh, we will fix it in photoshop. So, to answer your question...yes post processing is part and parcel of the game. (Now I know some purist will certainly take offence to this! haha)

Be happy with reality? haha....it depends on what you are selling!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011

This does help! Thank You! I want to be better. But now I am wondering if this is even something I can do! Lol, Why cant I just take pictures and people be happy with reality!

P.S. Even though I talked them into it, they ended up loving them and she asked me to do her Bridal pictures, lol. Isnt that some strange kicker. I almost feel like refusing and telling her to get her real wedding photographer to do them, my sense of ability is simply not there right now.

Don't quit! Oh man, when I look back at some of my beginning photos I cringe big time. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone should always be improving (even people at the pinnacle of their photography career). A critique can sting sometimes (I've definitely felt it myself on occasion), but the fact that several took the time to critique your photos means they think you have potential and believe it is worth their time to comment on your pictures. If they didn't think you had it in you - they wouldn't have bothered.

#1 and #3 are cute. I would work on your B&W conversions to give them more pop. The processing seem a little dull, but that can easily be fixed. (Like someone mentioned - this used to be done in the Darkroom, but now we do it in Lightroom. :D)

#2 - I would have taken them into a little shady area and shot this with natural light if possible.
    • If you don't have to shoot in bright sunlight and aren't comfortable with advanced flash techniques - why do it? It sounds like you came from a background where you just had to shoot under the conditions that you had. Many times that is still the case with wedding work. But with a portrait session like this, take the time to move them to a more ideal area for these close-up snuggling shots.
    • Also, bring a step stool or small ladder with you so you can get up above them. Slightly elevating yourself would immediately improve the pose of this shot and make it more dynamic.
    (Wayne Yuan wrote this as his #2 technique to improve your portraits.)
    best_wedding_photos_04.jpg

• Invest in a 50 1.8 (You can get a used one for about $90.) This is a great entry level portrait lens for those on a budget or those who want to improve before they sink thousands into lenses. Not quite the 85 1.4 or a telephoto, but a great value for what you can do with it. This is a wonderful lens and one that you can grow with before you decide to invest in $1000 - $2000 portrait lenses.

#4 - I personally hate selective coloring. I know a lot of people still like it, so that's just me. This is a very cute idea. You were on the right track with the concept. He's too centered in the frame and it could use a different perspective. Next time maybe think about dropping down to your knee and putting the flower at the far right of the frame with her face in focus. Then mix it up and try putting the focus point on the flower with her face blurred in the background. Try a pose from multiple angles until you get the feel of what works.

#5 - You got the hand shape perfect. Because the flash is off, I would try this one as a dynamic B&W conversion. You really, really need to get a lens that can give you some nice bokeh so that you can take Shima's advice. deal.gif

RE: SOOC versus processing. Matthew Saville (a regular dgrinner and wedding photographer) talks a lot about SOOC. It can be done with the right camera and with perfect exposure. But processing can take your photos to a whole other level and give you the WOW factor that most of the time SOOC can't do. It gets a little addictive.

RE: Shooting her bridal pictures. Think very seriously about it before you decide. It's a serious responsibility, but you sound like a very responsible person. Make sure that you have backup equipment of everything. Be prepared. Ruining someone's wedding pictures can deeply hurt them. My sister-in-law is still upset 9 years later that a photography student ruined her wedding pictures. (She bawled and threw them away when she got them and now she has nothing.) Not to sound all doom and gloom, but if something goes wrong you have to make sure you can deliver. Some brides legitimately can't afford a "pro" and would have no pictures unless a "student" helped them out. In those circumstances, you just have to make a personal decision how you want to handle it. Good luck!