a better monitor

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 23, 2004 in Accessories
So I have a fancy camera, even a fancy Eye-One colorimeter, isn't it time I upgraded to at least a decent monitor? My only good computer is my laptop - even the built in video card is good, but obviously the 15" LCD display is not all that great. The driver is good enough to run a dual display off the laptop, so i want something I can use to display the photos on, and I can keep toolbars and such on the LCD.

I want: not so much big screen size, but clarity/quality, and of course, I'm on a serious (student) budget.

Recommendations? If not actual models, then at least good places to look.

thanks.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    Monitor
    Without the word "budget" in your quest....
    MacMAC
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    For the best value I would go with a 19" Lacie. It will be around $380.00 plus shipping online. They have great color for the price. We can make suggestions if you want to spend more or less.

If you are an NAPP member you can save a little extra. I can get that monitor for $336.00 plus shipping. B+H just made a deal with NAPP to give deals to members. The only problem is you have to call it in at this point, but if it saves you money who cares. They do not tell you what products are discounted. Hopefully this will changes soon. It is worth the $100.00/year. I make that up very quickly in one large purchase.
  • NiceshotNiceshot Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2004
    nice shot kodak digital
    This is a shot that i took with my new digital camera, where in the mountains of eastern kentucky where i find refuge behind the lense.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    Hi niceshot, welcome to the joint. Your photo didn't make it.

The best place to post it is in the Show Us Your best Stuff forum.

If you're not sure how to post a photo, go to this this thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 22, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    For the best value I would go with a 19" Lacie. It will be around $380.00 plus shipping online. They have great color for the price. We can make suggestions if you want to spend more or less.

If you are an NAPP member you can save a little extra. I can get that monitor for $336.00 plus shipping. B+H just made a deal with NAPP to give deals to members. The only problem is you have to call it in at this point, but if it saves you money who cares. They do not tell you what products are discounted. Hopefully this will changes soon. It is worth the $100.00/year. I make that up very quickly in one large purchase.
    Are Lacie's good in general? I may not even need a 19"... how bout 17". And yes, budget wise, I was hoping to stay around $300 as a max. Good place to look for used?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    I have a 22" LaCie Electron Blue IV, and I'm with Patch, great stuff at a fair price. Much better than my studio's other monitors (21" Sonys).

If I were to buy now, I'd get a Sony Artisan if I had the bucks. If not, LaCie without a doubt.

Roberto.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are Lacie's good in general? I may not even need a 19"... how bout 17". And yes, budget wise, I was hoping to stay around $300 as a max. Good place to look for used?

They do not make a 17", time to save up for the 19". naughty.gif I am not sure I would get a used monitor unless I knew the source, even then the colors will shift over time and not be as good as it was. You could probably get one for under $400.00 delivered.