Softbox for speedlite and profoto strobe???

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in People
Hi!

I would like to get a medium portable softbox which I can use with my Canon flash and profoto strobe.

I have looked around. I like Photoflex Litedome and Wescott Apollo 28 a lot but the problem is that they only work with camera flashes but not with powerful strobes. At least that's what BH says on its website: "for camera flash only".

Do you know any softbox/octabox on which I can set up my camera flash and a profoto speed ring as well?

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited April 6, 2011
    A softbox designed to work with a studio strobe normally couples to the strobe using a custom speed ring for the strobe.

A softbox designed for a speedlight/speedlite normally has a mount for the flash head (the smaller softboxes) or they attach to the light stand and the softbox bracket itself provides a mount for the flash.

If you just need a light modifier that has some of the properties of a softbox but can accommodate both a studio strobe and a small battery-powered flash then I recommend a modifier that attaches via a stem, like the Photek Softlighter II or a shoot-through umbrella. The Softlighter II would require some modifications for the studio strobe and I don't think you would use the modelling light. The Softlighter would also produce potentially odd looking catch lights using a studio strobe.

While most studio strobes provide a stem attachment, the following umbrella bracket (or similar) would be required for a speedlight/speedlite:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117_Umbrella_Bracket.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    I had read where the Apollo can be ordered for use with a speed light or studio light. I have the one that works with a speed light and I must say I am impressed with the ease of setup and how effective a tool it is.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    The Apollo can be used with either a HSF flash or a strobe. But a better bet would be the Lastolite Ezybox series - they make specific speed rings for various strobes and a mounting bracket for a hot shoe flash.
    edited April 6, 2011
    The Apollo can be used with either a HSF flash or a strobe. But a better bet would be the Lastolite Ezybox series - they make specific speed rings for various strobes and a mounting bracket for a hot shoe flash.

True but the Apollo does not require a speed ring since it simply inserts into an umbrella socket. Not sure if it's the standard 7mm though for most studio strobes.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited April 6, 2011
    I just checked to confirm, the shaft on the Apollo is 9mm but it's hollow and I think there is a shaft that slides in there to fit onto a 7mm opening on the strobe.
    Hope this is helpful...I picked mine up at Adorama for 99 dollars....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • mayassamayassa Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Amazon has some knock offs that have the speed rings included.
    You can use my Smug Mug coupon a0rrvSicVVqE2

Rick-Matassa.smugmug.com/