Options

For the Linux users - Wine and photoshop

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited April 6, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
My Windows Vista laptop isnt working anymore, seems to be a registry problem. Lately my photoshop/Vista has been lagging so I am very tempted to install Linux on it and Wine *windows emulator* to run my windows photoshop CS.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this, and has any comments on the pro's and cons of this.

I have only used linux on cd twice, once a few months ago to see what it was like and once tonight to see if I can get it to load on my non working laptop *which it does*.

Gerry.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    I did some searching, it seems some versions of photoshop works better than others, but upgrades can also be a bit of an issue. It looks like CS works pretty well on the older version, so hopefully itll work pretty well on the newer stable version of wine.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1815&iTestingId=42868
  • Options
    JoiJoiJoiJoi Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    windows 7 is really the way to go... vista is just a turd... if your cpu can support it, id say go that way,

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    But 7 costs money. :) there is/was a cool special for students with an .edu address to get it for like $30 though. My wife has it on her computer and im not to sure how much I like it, the way you interact with the menu bar, etc. :)
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    it is definitely more stable than vista. You would get used to it really, just takes a little practice and use, but overall it is a much better platform.
    I don't like it as much as osX but definitely a close 2nd.

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    But with windows your still subject to viruses. :)

Im going to be looking for a new desktop once I can justify it, then I'll be using the newest windows, and that machine will not be going online and the av programs will be removed so nothing will be running in the background slowing photoshop down. :D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    hehe that works, i just run mine behind firewall with some AV, so far no problems.
    Haven't ran into any issue with my machine, husband built it, i think it was about $800 for the parts.

Joi Cohen-Haroun
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Well I reinstalled windows, got photoshop, dpp and a few other of the more useful programs installed, now im doing windows update, 98 things. :) I tried to get linux online with my att wireless card but it needs drivers or something, so im hoping the wifi was fixed with the fresh install so I can get wine when I go to the library sometime. :)