Options

Time to upgrade - advice appreciated

cwoodardcwoodard Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited April 14, 2011 in Cameras
If anyone has the time to comment, I would really appreciate some suggestions as to how best to spend about $4-5K on a new camera and lens. I have been doing studio and outdoor portraits of children, and it's time to upgrade my very beginner level equipment. I've got the upgrades to my studio figured out, but am not quite sure about the camera and lens department.

I have used Canons all my life, but am not against a switch to Nikon.

Seems like the Canon options are the 7D and 5D?

Nikon D700?

Lenses - seems like such a huge range of price and specs for a 200mm lens, and I'm not sure which makes the best price/quality choice combined with the camera choice.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Either Canon or Nikon FF cameras are nice for studio work. Sony FF is also a contender but the a850/a900 are not quite as competent in low light, if that's a consideration.

Will you be reusing any lenses that you currently own?

What properties are you seeking in the new camera?

What coverage do you need for lenses?

What sort of studio work do you do and what do you wish to do?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    Thanks for the response! I will not be re-using any lens I currently have. Not very good :p I do have a Canon 430ex speedlite that it might be handy to be able to re-use until I can upgrade that too.

I am looking for a nice fast camera/lens combination that can capture subjects seemingly in perpetual motion (aka kids) both in a studio and outdoors setting. I would like a 70-200mm lens and would take portraits primarily in the 150-200mm range.

(I just attended the Light it, Shoot it, Retouch it Scott Kelby seminar in Boston, and yes I am mostly parroting back what I learned there, so other suggestions are of course welcome! :p )
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    cwoodard wrote: »
    Thanks for the response! I will not be re-using any lens I currently have. Not very good :p I do have a Canon 430ex speedlite that it might be handy to be able to re-use until I can upgrade that too.

I am looking for a nice fast camera/lens combination that can capture subjects seemingly in perpetual motion (aka kids) both in a studio and outdoors setting. I would like a 70-200mm lens and would take portraits primarily in the 150-200mm range.

(I just attended the Light it, Shoot it, Retouch it Scott Kelby seminar in Boston, and yes I am mostly parroting back what I learned there, so other suggestions are of course welcome! :p )

I am a Canon guy but I am sure Nikon has alternatives. I would love the 5DMk2 on this budget and the 70-200 seems essential for serious photographers.

Business wise, I don't think you should let your decision be influenced by the flash (430). This is very sellable second hand and a fraction of the new price you will pay for your new gear.

If perpetual motion is really your requirement you might find a 5D a bit slow when not in video mode, although it would do me. For image quality the 5D is one of the best and that is what I would prioritize.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Either Canon or Nikon FF cameras are nice for studio work. Sony FF is also a contender but the a850/a900 are not quite as competent in low light, if that's a consideration.

Will you be reusing any lenses that you currently own?

What properties are you seeking in the new camera?

What coverage do you need for lenses?

What sort of studio work do you do and what do you wish to do?

I know the OP said what he shoots and I'll guess he is presently shooting a crop cam. I like/love my D700 and the 70-200 VR2, but I'd think overall it would be a poor choice for fast moving objects within a studio, just because of focal length unless of course you have a 40x40ft space!

If I were thinking of shooting in-studio and chasing kids around within that space, I'd be thinking more like a D700 mated to the 24-70 f/2.8.

Congrats on having a decent budget!
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I'm currently using a canon rebel xsi so I think just about anything would be an upgrade. :) I would like to start doing more than portraits just for friends, family and mother's group. But have avoided that until I could improve my equipment. Anything with at least as fast of an AF as what I have would probably be fast enough.

I am not 100% sure of the diffs between FF and crop cameras, but as soon as I get home I will be looking it up!
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    I am no expert but I just upgraded from a canon 50D to the 7D and I love this camera.

My primary lenses are the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS which is not an L lens but has excellent IQ. My favorite lens is my Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS. The image quality of that one is simply amazing.

Without any direct experience but based on what I have read the FF 5DMKII would be the top of the line as far as portrait image quality but I bet the 7D can also turn out professional portrait quality images in the right hands (not in my hands yet).

If you ever need to shoot sports or moving wildlife the 7D has the speed advantage.

Happy shopping. :D
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I'm currently using a canon rebel xsi so I think just about anything would be an upgrade. :) I would like to start doing more than portraits just for friends, family and mother's group. But have avoided that until I could improve my equipment. Anything with at least as fast of an AF as what I have would probably be fast enough.

I am not 100% sure of the diffs between FF and crop cameras, but as soon as I get home I will be looking it up!

The Canon 5D MKII AF will probably match any of the Canon "Rebel" line so that would not be a problem.

FF cameras allow 2 primary advantages versus "crop" cameras:
    Better DOF control.

Lower noise footprint at the same ISO.

FF cameras also tend to offer pretty good cropping opportunity, but then you start to affect the 2 previous points above.

Lighting is more important than either camera or lens and lens selection is more important than camera. Until you gain control over lighting I doubt that any camera/lens combination will satisfy either you or your customers.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I agree with your comment about lighting - that has been my primary frustration, having a sub-par setup. But that part is on its way to being redressed with a complete re-vamp of my studio setup :) I'm leaning towards the Canon 5D MKII after the help in this thread and reading some very informative 7D vs 5D MK II threads, so now to figure out the lens.

If I can swing this:

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Would that be the way to go?

Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I agree with your comment about lighting - that has been my primary frustration, having a sub-par setup. But that part is on its way to being redressed with a complete re-vamp of my studio setup :) I'm leaning towards the Canon 5D MKII after the help in this thread and reading some very informative 7D vs 5D MK II threads, so now to figure out the lens.

If I can swing this:

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Would that be the way to go?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Cynthia, I think that range is the perfect FX portrait lens range! You did mention chasing kids around in a studio, right? Like I said earlier I cannot imagine chasing kids around with that focal length inside. Outside, fine and Dandy.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Cynthia, I think that range is the perfect FX portrait lens range! You did mention chasing kids around in a studio, right? Like I said earlier I cannot imagine chasing kids around with that focal length inside. Outside, fine and Dandy.

I've got an EF-S 55-250mm lens right now and that's been fine for the space I've got. I think (hope!) a 70-200mm would work. I will definitely put some more thought into that though. I hadn't really considered the fact that my current lens starts at 55, not 70. Thanks for bringing that up!
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    You might look back at the EXIF data for the images you've taken in the past with your 55-250. If almost of the shots you've taken are at 70-200mm range then the 70-200 lens will work for you.

I've got an EF-S 55-250mm lens right now and that's been fine for the space I've got. I think (hope!) a 70-200mm would work. I will definitely put some more thought into that though. I hadn't really considered the fact that my current lens starts at 55, not 70. Thanks for bringing that up!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    I am sooo glad you guys brought this up. I just went and looked at the exif data and a good number were under 70. So now I have no idea what lens to get for a Canon 5D MKII. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2011
    The focal length will be different on the 5dII since it is full frame. Your rebel is a 1.6 crop factor, so 55mm on the rebel will equate to 88mm on the 5dII... so the 70-200 will actually be wider at 70 than the 55-250 was at 55... so you should be fine... :-) I hope to be in your situation at some point (actually able to purchase a 5dII and 70-200 2.8) :-)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    JohnRog wrote: »
    The focal length will be different on the 5dII since it is full frame. Your rebel is a 1.6 crop factor, so 55mm on the rebel will equate to 88mm on the 5dII... so the 70-200 will actually be wider at 70 than the 55-250 was at 55... so you should be fine... :-) I hope to be in your situation at some point (actually able to purchase a 5dII and 70-200 2.8) :-)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

that is fantastic news :) thanks!

it's definitely going to take a little creative financing to pull this off...
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011

Oh, well thats easily figured by looking at your EXIF and seeing where you regularly pull the keepers from focal distance wise~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    For more ease of use in the studio (I could get closer to the children to interact), would one of the 24-105mm lenses do the trick? Is it a good lens for portraits?

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens?

My problem is that I can only afford one lens right now, and I would really like to be able to use it in the studio and outdoors. Tough I know.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    For more ease of use in the studio (I could get closer to the children to interact), would one of the 24-105mm lenses do the trick? Is it a good lens for portraits?

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens?

My problem is that I can only afford one lens right now, and I would really like to be able to use it in the studio and outdoors. Tough I know.

The Canon 24-105f4L is a very nice lens and you can do studio and portraiture with it. The smaller aperture does mean that you have less DOF control than a larger aperture lens and the f4 aperture will not activate the high-precision capabilities of the center focus dot. Only lenses of f2.8 or faster activate the high-precision capabilities. A lens of f2.8 also lets in twice the light of an f4 lens for focusing, allowing faster focus and/or lower light focus capabilities and faster shutter speeds when you really need them.

All things being equal I would always recommend a quality f2.8 lens over a quality f4 lens unless there is some other compelling need.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2011
    I just ordered the 5D MKII and the 70-200mm lens. I'm in sticker shock, but SOOO excited! If I survive until everything gets here it will be a minor miracle :)

Thank you so much to everyone who helped with this. I'm always amazed by the knowledge on these forums and the generosity of those who share it!
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    Congrats on the purchase! To echo what others have said, you need to master the lighting before seeing any real quality gains. I would pick up a 50-70" soft box ASAP. (I am a big fan of the Elinchrom Rotalux 69") Big soft lights rule all when it comes to studio portraiture. Oh, and don't worry about crazy powerful light. Less light means you can open up that pretty new 70-200 and work some bokeh!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks!

I got an Elinchrom BX 500 ri and an Elinchrom 53" Midi Octa Light Bank. My old two lights have become background lights, I got two tall cutters so the background lights don't spill, I got a big reflector to put on the opposite side of the BX 500, 9' wide background paper (up from 6), and 2 4'x8' pieces of white tileboard for flooring :)

I set it all up last night and played around a little with it today. Have some tweaking to do still, but it's looking good! My major problem is my new Skyport Speed wireless transmitter is not triggering the strobe! Argh! It works via the cable, but not with the wireless transmitter. I've checked the frequency, group, and speed vs standard mode, and it all looks like it should be working, but it's not :( Also can't get the modelling light working on the strobe, but I suspect the bulb is bad. Just ordered some more and here's hoping that fixes that problem.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Those BXRi strobes are great. I have a couple myself. I am not the biggest fan of the Skyport system, in terms of reliability and outdoor range they leave a lot to be desired. I am now moving over to a Pocketwizard Mini & Flex system to standardize my strobe and speed light triggers, not to mention ETTL functionality. Long term I see myself keeping my Elinchrom mods and replacing the strobes with Profoto(built in PW's).
  • Options
    BobbeeBobbee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2011
    I amm a Nikon person, but as someone else pointed out, you tend to go with the manufacturer than you have invested money in glass. The body's change, the glass does not. ut of course the converse of that is FX and DX. I soot weddings and parties. Aside from the other gadgets I have, my two favorite lens' I use on my D700 are 24-70 f2.8(FX) and 70-200 f2.8(FX). The 200 is really great and I get some great pictures wth that. I have a D200 as a backup but will be in the market for another D700 with a 50mm 1.4 FX soon. Enjoy and great hunting.