Options

keeper saves the day

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in Sports
both my sons have played/play goal keeper. About 5 years ago, I left my camera at home for an end of the season game that ended up in penalty kicks to decide the game. My oldest made the last save to win the game and I didn't get the shots :cry

Fast forward to this weekend, my younger son was guest playing for a team that was (theoretically) playing above its head. Well they ultimately made it to the championship game, after getting through a semi final that ended 0-0 after regulation. This time I had the camera for the penalty kicks :D. And what a finish it was. Chris blocked the 1st three shots and his teammates did their part and made theirs, so we finished the usual 5 shot shoot out in three shots! :clap

1 and 2 - the first shot set the tone:
1238805849_xM67h-L-1.jpg

1238805253_xM9Tm-L-1.jpg

3. the 2nd two shooters apparently thought that since he could dive right, they would shoot left. Didn't work there either:
1238806644_ySx4d-L-1.jpg

4 and 5: after our 3rd player nailed his shot, the team then mobbed my son. His grin lit up the area:barb
1238810589_Vorvn-L-1.jpg

1238810899_jgtGz-L-1.jpg

so even though they didn't win the tournament, they had a great weekend and my son is sure to be invited back :wink

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    good for him!!
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    Congrats to your son! I always figured if a 'keeper saved one in a shootout, his team should win. Was he playing as a guest?
    Oh, crop #2 a lot tighter. It'll have more impact. Blurry or not.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Congrats to your son! I always figured if a 'keeper saved one in a shootout, his team should win. Was he playing as a guest?
    Oh, crop #2 a lot tighter. It'll have more impact. Blurry or not.

Thanks John. Yeah, in a shootout, it's almost assumed that the kicker should score and that if a keeper can stop one, he's really given his team an advantage. And we were playing a "premier" team that should have been making their shots. So it's even more remarkable that he was able to save all three!

Yes, he was playing as a guest. This team is heavily recruiting my son, but they had a rough fall season and so will be playing in a lower division next fall and my son wants to be at a higher level to face the better competition.

And I not only recropped the 2nd, but all three and I agree, it does give more impact to the action. (have to admit that I'm disappointed w/ the blur on the 2nd, given the 1st one was crisper - I wonder if the 40D just can't follow the action that quickly? I was shooting on AI servo w/ my canon 70-200 f/2.8)

C.

1a
    1243674388_ahkUY-L.jpg

2a
    1243674330_NXFjC-L.jpg

3a
    1243674367_JUFGW-L.jpg
    Colleen

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    You were asking your autofocus to perform a miracle Colleen. It wanted to focus on the nice checkerboard pattern of the net. In that situation, I think manual focus is your friend.

And, at the risk of coming across like a know-it-all **ck-head, I'll offer the observation that, if you're going to bill yourself as a sports photographer, you'd better have AT LEAST one of these. And/or if you intend to shoot under lights, one of these (gasp.)

I shoot Nikon, and love my 70-200 f/2.8, but for field sports it's just a bit short.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    You were asking your autofocus to perform a miracle Colleen. It wanted to focus on the nice checkerboard pattern of the net. In that situation, I think manual focus is your friend.

And, at the risk of coming across like a know-it-all **ck-head, I'll offer the observation that, if you're going to bill yourself as a sports photographer, you'd better have AT LEAST one of these. And/or if you intend to shoot under lights, one of these (gasp.)

I shoot Nikon, and love my 70-200 f/2.8, but for field sports it's just a bit short.

re the autofocus miracle - I thought that AI servo locked on to your main target as you shot a burst. So I prefocused on my son and clicked away. But your point is taken about the manual focus in that situation - just don't get the PKs like that all that frequently, so it didn't cross my mind.

Since I usually shoot many games for the same team, I alternate between the 70-200 (which is faster and better for lower light) and my 100-400 for the reach. Usually I emphasize play closer to me when I have the shorter lens. I choose the 70-200 that morning b/c it was grey and dreary. Had the longer lens out for the afternoon game. I know it's not a prime, but it usually does the job. I like the zoom, so the lens I really want is the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8.

thanks again for your comments. thumb.gif

C.
    Colleen