Options

Anyone got their smugmug in the Google sidebar?

SimonG156SimonG156 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 5, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am putting in the RSS link that Google provides in its new fangled desktop sidebar thingy (that does return stuff so this is probably not a smugmug problem) but I just see the "Downloading pictures" icon and nothing appears.

Anyone got their smugmug galleries displaying properly on this?

Cheers!
Simon

Comments

• Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    SimonG156 wrote:
    I am putting in the RSS link that Google provides in its new fangled desktop sidebar thingy (that does return stuff so this is probably not a smugmug problem) but I just see the "Downloading pictures" icon and nothing appears.

Anyone got their smugmug galleries displaying properly on this?

Cheers!
    Simon

Yes! I didn't think I'd like the feature but it's grown on me. I put in the RSS feed off of my main URL - this lists all public galleries, I think. Since I don't often set featured images for albums, the net affect has been that over the course of a few days their image slideshow thing has downloaded the thumbnails of most of my public photos (every time the rss feed refreshes it chooses a different image for each of my galleries, so google grabs and saves those on my machine for the slideshow - this doesn't take up much space: 700 images are 16 megs for me).

As for the feature being slow to work...I didn't pay close attention, but mine took quite awhile to begin showing my images. I put in a friend's Flickr account and then, shortly after, my RSS feed. His 10 Flickr images rotated through for hours before my smugmug stuff went in. I don't know if this was caused by the deskbar being a background process that wasn't getting spare time to grab my images or if it tries to scatter web access or what...but my photos eventually did begin showing up.

The only drawback I see right now is that though you can launch your browser from an image, they don't use the link to the album of an image but rather send me to my homepage. :/

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2005
    asd wrote:
    Yes! I didn't think I'd like the feature but it's grown on me.
    Hope that helps. :)
    It does because I know it is working and will persevere. When I came in to work after leaving my pc on this weekend I had two photos showing, now since typing this message - dozens!

One is showing a "Photpo not found" graphic but a small hiccup I'm sure.

Cheers!
  • Options
    asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    SimonG156 wrote:
    It does because I know it is working and will persevere. When I came in to work after leaving my pc on this weekend I had two photos showing, now since typing this message - dozens!

One is showing a "Photpo not found" graphic but a small hiccup I'm sure.

Cheers!

The next time the Photo Not Found graphic comes up, click it (so it slides out of the sidebar) and then click Remove. Unless you do that it'll stay in the photo cache and pop into your slideshow on occasion.

..unless you like the image. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2005
    Cheers for that!