Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon)

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
[FONT=&quot]I am planning a trip to Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon) in Sept.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can anyone recommend a good guide or photo tour company that has the experience and knowledge (read patience, permits, access rights, photographic experience, etc.) to lead photographers into both upper and lower canyons and possibly other areas of interest within the greater area of Page?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would appreciate any input or personal recommendations, in helping to make this a successful photographic trip to Antelope Canyon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks!!
[/FONT]

Comments

• Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    The last time I was their, in lower canyon you don't need a guide you can just wander, well squirm/crawl as you please. Earlier in the day you get less people but no direct light in the canyon. That can be a factor if you are setting up a tripod in confined space's. In upper canyon the Navajo provide a guide/ wrangler to get you in/out in the amount of time they give you. I don't know your hiking ability but if your in the area you should check out "the wave"/ Coyote Buttes You will need to hit up the lottery to see if you can get a permit. It is not a easy hike. Have fun
    El Gato wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I am planning a trip to Page, AZ (Antelope Canyon) in Sept.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can anyone recommend a good guide or photo tour company that has the experience and knowledge (read patience, permits, access rights, photographic experience, etc.) to lead photographers into both upper and lower canyons and possibly other areas of interest within the greater area of Page?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would appreciate any input or personal recommendations, in helping to make this a successful photographic trip to Antelope Canyon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks!!
    [/FONT]
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Things have changed
    apparently you now must be on a guided tour for both upper and lower. Go here:

http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/antelopecanyon.htm

and here for more info about Tom Phillips, who is highly recommended by almost everyone who has used him. http://photo.net/travel-photography-forum/00S9xA

Enjoy it - wish I were going with you.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Something else while I'm thinking of it
    from what I've read, there is usually a lot of fine sand blowing around in the canyon, so some kind of protection (Optech rain sleeve maybe) for camera and lens should be used. Also, it is most commonly mentioned that you shouldn't try to change lenses while in the canyon because of the blowing sand.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Page AZ
    AZFred and Don....

Thanks for the great insights!

Lots of "stuff" to read, gather, review and consider.

Glad I am starting early on the planning.

Reading further, I plan on attempting the lottery for Coyote Buttes North and see if I can indeed get to the "Wave".

Again, many thanks for the insights and tips!!