Options

Middle School Soccer Advice Needed

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited April 8, 2011 in Sports
Our Soccer season starts on Tuesday and I intend to be there to shoot it. I have never shot soccer before so I was looking for a few pointers about where I should be standing. Today I went out to watch them practice and see if I could figure out the flow of action (not being a soccer fan particularly, I haven't really watched it). I didn't learn much as they were mostly running drills and laps around the field.

My intention at the moment is to shoot with a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and my newly acquired AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III (which drops my f-stop to 5.6 wide open, but with the D300s crop factor is something like 600mm - that seem right?). It seems like I can cover the field pretty well from midfield with this setup, but was wondering if I would be better served behind one of the goals with a shorter lens when the game is actually being played.

Thoughts, opinions?

Also soccer is a bit faster than basketball or so it seems to me with the ball being kicked and whatnot. Thoughts on minimum shutter speeds for crisp frozen action?
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2011
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Our Soccer season starts on Tuesday and I intend to be there to shoot it. I have never shot soccer before so I was looking for a few pointers about where I should be standing. Today I went out to watch them practice and see if I could figure out the flow of action (not being a soccer fan particularly, I haven't really watched it). I didn't learn much as they were mostly running drills and laps around the field.

My intention at the moment is to shoot with a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and my newly acquired AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III (which drops my f-stop to 5.6 wide open, but with the D300s crop factor is something like 600mm - that seem right?). It seems like I can cover the field pretty well from midfield with this setup, but was wondering if I would be better served behind one of the goals with a shorter lens when the game is actually being played.

Thoughts, opinions?

Also soccer is a bit faster than basketball or so it seems to me with the ball being kicked and whatnot. Thoughts on minimum shutter speeds for crisp frozen action?

Best advice I can give for any sports, is to have fun doing it.
    Remember AF-C, focus tracking with lock-on is your friend, turn VR off if you're on a tripod. Lately I have had great luck using 3D tracking for fast action.
    Do you really want freeze action (1/1000 sec minimum), or show a little blur to show action? (1/320 minimum)
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    I shoot a lot of soccer. Middle school action is fairly easy to follow. I stand behind one of the goal lines about 10 yards. This allows you to follow the action as it is coming towards you. Sideline shots (to me) are generally boring with action passing you by. If the ref does not know me, I will often introduce myself before the game and get permission to stand in this area. Assure the ref that you will remain silent. They don't like parents coaching behind the keeper.

I shoot a D700 or D300 (depends on the lighting and my mood) with a 300mm, f2.8 lens with or without teleconvertors (also depends on my lighting and my mood). Your plan for a 70-200mm on your D300 will only allow you to cover about 1/3 of the field. If your crops are too heavy, your photos will suffer. Personally, I've not been impressed with the IQ of the TC-20EIII on that lens. I think IQ suffers at the long end unless you stop down significantly (f8).

I strongly recommend a monopod. If you don't have one, buy one and learn how to use it properly. Your keeper rate will go up significantly.

I shoot with AF-C with single area reticle and use the AF-On button. No need for VR since you will be shooting at high shutterspeeds. VR with just likely cause blurry photos when shooting multiple frames per second.

HTH.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I shoot a lot of soccer. Middle school action is fairly easy to follow. I stand behind one of the goal lines about 10 yards. This allows you to follow the action as it is coming towards you. Sideline shots (to me) are generally boring with action passing you by. If the ref does not know me, I will often introduce myself before the game and get permission to stand in this area. Assure the ref that you will remain silent. They don't like parents coaching behind the keeper.

I shoot a D700 or D300 (depends on the lighting and my mood) with a 300mm, f2.8 lens with or without teleconvertors (also depends on my lighting and my mood). Your plan for a 70-200mm on your D300 will only allow you to cover about 1/3 of the field. If your crops are too heavy, your photos will suffer. Personally, I've not been impressed with the IQ of the TC-20EIII on that lens. I think IQ suffers at the long end unless you stop down significantly (f8).

I strongly recommend a monopod. If you don't have one, buy one and learn how to use it properly. Your keeper rate will go up significantly.

I shoot with AF-C with single area reticle and use the AF-On button. No need for VR since you will be shooting at high shutterspeeds. VR with just likely cause blurry photos when shooting multiple frames per second.

HTH.

Excellent! Thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    Mitchell is right on with standing behind the goal. This is where you will get the best shots. In addition, a monopod is a must.

I shoot a lot of games for my local youth soccer club. The Referees are pretty easy going unless you become a problem behind the goal. I would suggest that you set up well behind the end line and to one side of the goal. If you really feel like you need to be behind the goal make sure you are well out of the field of play and not hindering the goalie in any way. I find sitting on hte ground about 10 to 15 yards behind the goal to be a good spot.

The only time I have had an issue with being behind the end line was when a parent decided to join me and became very vocal about the game. The refs in my area will not allow coaching from behind the end line.

BTW, when I am taking picture, I am more focused on the game! I cannot wait for the spring season to begin!
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I shoot from behind the goal line. Depending on what age group you are shooting. I shoot U11 and U 12 games. The field is around 50yds x 70yds. A 75-300mm covers pretty much of the field.

http://sportscenes.smugmug.com/Soccer/2011-KSA-Elite-Spring-Thaw/KSA-Elite-B98-Robertson-vs/16259874_nJ6sE#1221488016_F9K2c
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    I shoot a lot of soccer, even some collegiate and pro games, and the sweet spot is certainly near the end of the field. Shooting behind the net can make for some dramatic shots, but also makes focusing harder because AF likes the contrast of the net. If you are close enough, which is usually possible in the U10-18 range, just set your lens to limit the near range of focus and you'll get better shots. My favorite place is probably between the net and the corner, as the view is unobstructed and you can get a lot of different angles from a fairly small piece of real estate. Lastly, my experience is that very few shots of the far side of the pitch come out well. There is the occasional header into the goal, but mostly a lot of people's back sides, and very obstructed views of the defenders. You might want to try using the 70-200mm without the converter; with your CF, you should be able to cover the near 1/3 of the field quite well, and get some really great shots!
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2011
    If you stay on the scoring goal, dont forget about the defenders on the opposite side of the field, they play hard too. it's a school game, usually in the afternoon, dont forget about the sun and hard shadows.

Visit a club soccer league in the area for an afternoon, you will learn alot.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    Well a late season snow/rain storm left the north end of the field flooded and the season opener had to be rescheduled. On the bright side it gives me more time to prepare.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    One thing I didn't see mentioned. You talked about "where to stand". You really shouldn't be standing - you should be kneeling or sitting (I prefer kneeling so I can move easier out of the way). It's not as much an issue when you're shooting down field action with 400-600mm lenses but with the closer action shots from a standing position just don't look as good. This is pretty much the case for most human subject sports though. You don't want to be shooting 'down' on your subject - preferably you want to be shooting 'slightly up' at them.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    johng wrote: »
    One thing I didn't see mentioned. You talked about "where to stand". You really shouldn't be standing - you should be kneeling or sitting (I prefer kneeling so I can move easier out of the way). It's not as much an issue when you're shooting down field action with 400-600mm lenses but with the closer action shots from a standing position just don't look as good. This is pretty much the case for most human subject sports though. You don't want to be shooting 'down' on your subject - preferably you want to be shooting 'slightly up' at them.

Good point, thanks for the reminder. At 6'4" I usually end up shooting from my knees. Standing is too high, and sitting gets me those up the nose shots.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    Finally our field is playable and I was able to snap a few pics. There are a variety of issues that I can see, but I just wanted to see if I am on the right track with what you all are thinking. So fire away, I can take it - it is after all about improving. C & C please.

1) Pre-game practice shots at the goal
    1242340245_xMt3S-L.jpg

2) This one is more of a concept shot, as in does the idea work? I realize that the defender looks like a 4 legged freak due to the camera angle.
    1242340896_6SPk5-L.jpg

3) David and Goliath - The little guy in black is on our team.
    1242345666_qBUEc-L.jpg

4) Again, does the idea work, also how can the execution be improved?
    1242344805_LCxLD-L.jpg

5) As it turns out, only one guy can head the ball into the goal, though they all tried.
    1242345786_M2T49-L.jpg

6) If only I had zoomed out a bit to get more of the goalie. This one bounced off the top rail and missed by about 1.5 inches. Pity.
    1242346720_Ng6dp-L.jpg

7) One last one. A few kids came out onto the field during half-time. This little guy was quite a character.
    1242346027_9U9Av-L.jpg

Thanks in advance for your time and effort with the C & C. I know it takes both and I appreciate it.

Jason
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    1) Can tell it's practice, as the player on the right isn't in uniform. Pity. Also, all that dead space on the left is useless. Shoot tight, crop tighter.

2) While I don't mind the concept, the darkening gradient just grates on my nerves. I really don't like the gradient at all.

3) Solid.

4) Solid, but the angle could be better.

5) The players on the right jumping may help the story, but it distracts. Crop tighter.

6) Great shot. More keeper would be better, but it works the way it is.

7) Kill the gradient, crop.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Agree with all of John Patrick's points. A couple of additional thoughts: keep in mind what the background will look like as you take the shot. For example, I think #4 would work a whole lot better without people, trash cans, and cars in the background. I know it often is not possible to simultaneously accommodate lighting, action, and background. But to my eye, nothing detracts more from an otherwise great shot than distractions in the background.

I might also turn down the saturation a bit, and try to get richer colors by some combination of exposure and contrasts. To the extent I use saturation boost at all, it is after adjusting the exposure, colors, and curves. Just my taste, that's all...
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    Here's an example from a recent game...same concept as your number 4, but with a different angle (more face) and uncluttered background. I did minimal editing on this, just ACR for WB, exposure and curves.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    5) The players on the right jumping may help the story, but it distracts. Crop tighter.

Hehe...I like the fact that all feet are off the ground. Makes it more unusual!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011

2) While I don't mind the concept, the darkening gradient just grates on my nerves. I really don't like the gradient at all.

7) Kill the gradient, crop.

John

Yeah I couldn't decide on the gradient thing. I was just trying to accentuate the player more but today my wife asked me if something was wrong with my camera. So I guess the gradient doesn't work. I'll crop kill the gradient, crop and repost the results.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2011
    jhefti wrote: »
    Here's an example from a recent game...same concept as your number 4, but with a different angle (more face) and uncluttered background. I did minimal editing on this, just ACR for WB, exposure and curves.

I'm going got try to reposition myself on the field. The hard thing about it is that 3 sides are cluttered and the fourth side leaves me shooting into the sun and backlighting the players, but I'm going to try and see what can be done. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    I'm going got try to reposition myself on the field. The hard thing about it is that 3 sides are cluttered and the fourth side leaves me shooting into the sun and backlighting the players, but I'm going to try and see what can be done. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, well...sometimes there is no escaping clutter! One of my favorite shots is a great save by the keeper, but right behind her is an overflowing trashcan, and a group of obese people eating fast food. Thought about removing them via Photoshop, but that's not my style.