Options

Black Dog

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 10, 2011 in Technique
Awhile ago there was a post about a black dog and how difficult it is to take a photo and get detail in the dog without totally blowing out the background.

Unfortunately I can't find the post. :cry

I ran down to my neighbors today and borrowed their dog for a few minutes. He is very black and shiny.

Here is what I got.

Sam

1236494626_cqRqp-M.jpg

1236495008_dmVhV-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    These turned out beautifully. Lots of detail in both the dog and the background.

Perhaps the comment pertained to a dark dog on a dark background? That's a tough one.

I cope with both - black dog; black horse. Always looking for suitable backgrounds. Both more a lot so forget about slow shutter speeds. Up the ISO, open the Aperture and hope a lot!mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Love #1 with yellow eyes and yellow flowers.clap.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited April 2, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't find the post. :cry
    Is this the one?

You really nailed the exposure in both of these. thumb.gif I prefer the composition of the first but on my (uncalibrated laptop) screen, there seems to be a yellow/green cast on the dog, perhaps reflected light from the surroundings. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Is this the one?

You really nailed the exposure in both of these. thumb.gif I prefer the composition of the first but on my (uncalibrated laptop) screen, there seems to be a yellow/green cast on the dog, perhaps reflected light from the surroundings. ne_nau.gif

That's the one! I hope Mary stops by and sees this post.

Again this was a ten minute, grab the camera, grab some kibble and try to calm down a bouncy energetic Lab.

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 2, 2011
    I think the exposure is right on as well. The green/yellow looks like it's from the plant material.

The trouble with the first thread seems to have more to do with metering in a larger environment. The dog represents such a small part of the overall exposure that if it's not "average" and you use evaluative metering; you'd want to overexpose a bit to compensate.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    The most beautiful photo of a black dog I've ever seen:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=1639767517198&set=o.35007936858&theater

The photographer generously shared her technique with me:

"Sophie was on my bed, but right across from her was a window with sunlight coming in! I sat between the two, and got my settings right so that my shutter was fast enough and enough light was coming into my camera, and also used NO flash! So basically the key is LOTS of natural light on the dog's face!"

I think another key element is how she controlled the background; using natural light on the dog with a subdued interior wall behind was inspired. She also had the dog's full attention, got catchlights in those gorgeous eyes, and later added a nice vignette.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    That's the one! I hope Mary stops by and sees this post.

Again this was a ten minute, grab the camera, grab some kibble and try to calm down a bouncy energetic Lab.

Sam

I stopped by :D

Great shot thumb.gif The first one .. the eyes and the flowers behind the dog match up good. Wish I had the sunshine and the elements you had in your shot. Mine was a 'grab it quick' on a crappy day with a whole lot of stuff in the photo.

But ... I did get another neighbors black lab pup trimming up the neighbors hedge rolleyes1.gif Haven't had a chance to edit them yet, but I had more light and snow to help reflect upwards onto the dog. Will post them soon.

You definitely showed it can be done :Dthumb.gif