Options

Help! Large prints from a low res image

SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited April 12, 2011 in Technique
I guess no matter how long you do this, you still occasionally slip up. I did a bridal shoot recently using my Nikon D700's. I generally shoot in jpeg fine. Somehow one of my cameras got switched to jpeg small and I did not realize it. As luck would have it, the bride is wanting her large wedding portrait (16x24) to be one of the images shot in jpeg small.

My question is - Does anyone have suggestions for printing a large print from a lower res image? I am currently scouring the web for tutorials, but would like input from the forum as well. Thanks.
http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    I do not shoot a D700, yet, so how small is a jpg small off the D700??? Better yet if you take into photoshop and go to image size and change the DPI to 300, having only the constrain proportions box ticked, how large is the file dimensions in inches??
    Get a trial copy of Perfect Resize from OnOne Software and take that 300dpi image and uprez it to 16 x 24......I prefer working in the 4x5 aspect ratio, because in my area you cannot walk into any frame shop and get a 16x24 mat or frame.....so I still adhere to the "standard" print sizing for from the film era, 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 and so on.....anyway Perfect Resize might fix it for you, I have been uprezing with Genuine Fractals for many years now......

Or email me the file and I will do it one time for free so you do not have to mess with trial downloads and such.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    Thanks Art. I appreciate you offering to resize the image. If I can ever return the favor, I will be more than happy to do so.

To answer your question, the image size at 300 dpi is 7.093 in by 4.72 in.

I will forward the image to you separately. I will also look at the trial programs you suggested. Hopefully I will not run into this particular problem again, but stuff occasionally happens.

Thank you again. I know you did not have to offer, and I am very appreciative.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2011
    sent ya a pm with email addy
    Do all editing but do not sharpen, sharpen after uprez......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website