Priviet, dear friends.
Nastya - short name of Anastasya...
I met her at the Riding tournament

2799.jpg
Hope you'll like her eyes like I do...
Spasibo,
Yuri
rutt wrote:
I don't think you can teach us the first two skills over the internet. We learn from looking at your shots and from our own efforts about the next skill and how close we are ever going to get to you. But that last skill, the post processing, well, I might be able to learn that. So, please, Yuri, pretty please with sugar on top, could you walk us through the steps of your post processing of one of these shots?

Spasibo for your kindest words and such a high mark!
So, just no secrets - usual PostProcessing steps are:
1 step. Resizing. Portrait - to 768 height... Landscape - to 600 and Cropping - for perfect composition...
2 step. Copy layer
3 step. Healing brush. If 'model' has some skin problems (and who now has no skin problems?) - I use Healing brush in copied layer to solve these problems. I use 'normal' mode of healing brush and sometimes 'replace' mode (near edges). Its so easy and wonderful to make skin better then it was without expensive creams and without scalpel and blood!!!
If the 'model' is 'in years' as we say here, I use another layer copy, use healing brush for under eyes places, wrinkles around mouth, between the eyebrows, but this time I use 20-70% opacity of this layer (making a bit younger :-)
4 step. Then I look at the portrait and
- sometimes I 'see' how it must be looking,
- sometimes I try different things.
I sometimes use optikvervelabs free plugins with custom settings.
5 step. Sometimes I use unsharp mask for eyes (very carefuly - 70-98/0.4/0 at copy of layer and then decrease opacity to <100% if needed)...
6 step. If the photo is bright enough, I sometimes use Harry's method (Harry Behret! Hello!)
Copy layer. set blending mode to 'Multiply'.
Blur -> Gaussian Blur -> 1.5 - 20% depending on the size of the details..., set opacity to what you need..
7 step. Sometimes here I deside to make it B&W - many ways (Channel mixer 50/50/0, for example...)

The main thing - your taste...
Look at the result and say - yes, thats what I wanted...
So,
look at my photos - realy no postprocessng secrets...

As for the models - you can find all that pretty ones here and there. The problem is - to approach, to say 'Oh, sorry, you are SO beautiful! Can you help me - I said to my Internet friends, that the most beautiful girls live here, in Russia, in Voronezh city. Now I must prove this statement. But without your help, I cant do this!'
Nothing bad if 20-40% will say 'No'...
Just feel yourself confidently, say, that during this photosession you must take ~50 shots. Ask her/him to stand (again confidently - You know what you are doing!) this or that way - I always make minimum 5 shots with front, 5 with left side and head turened to your camera, 5 from the right side... and then choose another background (look at my posts...)

So,
Try...
Yuri

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Priviet, dear friends.
    Nastya - short name of Anastasya...
    I met her at the Riding tournament
    Hope you'll like her eyes like I do...
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif1drink.gif
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Yuri that is a great shot! Must admit, I like the eyes too. thumb.gif
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    How great is this, Yuri? These shots you take of the women you meet, they just blow me away. I'd sell my soul to the devil to be able to do that. There are so many elements, getting them to agree to pose, getting them to pose so well, looking through the viewfinder and finding those great angles and compositions, and the post work.

I don't think you can teach us the first two skills over the internet. We learn from looking at your shots and from our own efforts about the next skill and how close we are ever going to get to you. But that last skill, the post processing, well, I might be able to learn that. So, please, Yuri, pretty please with sugar on top, could you walk us through the steps of your post processing of one of these shots?
    If not now, when?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    WOW baby all I can say or I'm in trouble again :uhoh :uhoh
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2005
    Excellent Yuri.... would you please adopt me?

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif1drink.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 6, 2005
    I love your protrait work Yuri - just like all the previous responders.

The subject is lovely - but the lighting is lovely too - nice, soft,muted. I know you shoot by natural light - great North Window light . But was the day cloudy or overcast slightly? What did you use for shade and did you use any reflectors also? Nosy aren't I? thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Spasibo for your kindest words and such a high mark!
    So, just no secrets - usual PostProcessing steps are:
    1 step. Resizing. Portrait - to 768 height... Landscape - to 600 and Cropping - for perfect composition...
    2 step. Copy layer
    3 step. Healing brush. If 'model' has some skin problems (and who now has no skin problems?) - I use Healing brush in copied layer to solve these problems. I use 'normal' mode of healing brush and sometimes 'replace' mode (near edges). Its so easy and wonderful to make skin better then it was without expensive creams and without scalpel and blood!!!
    If the 'model' is 'in years' as we say here, I use another layer copy, use healing brush for under eyes places, wrinkles around mouth, between the eyebrows, but this time I use 20-70% opacity of this layer (making a bit younger :-)
    4 step. Then I look at the portrait and
    - sometimes I 'see' how it must be looking,
    - sometimes I try different things.
    I sometimes use optikvervelabs free plugins with custom settings.
    5 step. Sometimes I use unsharp mask for eyes (very carefuly - 70-98/0.4/0 at copy of layer and then decrease opacity to <100% if needed)...
    6 step. If the photo is bright enough, I sometimes use Harry's method (Harry Behret! Hello!)
    Copy layer. set blending mode to 'Multiply'.
    Blur -> Gaussian Blur -> 1.5 - 20% depending on the size of the details..., set opacity to what you need..
    7 step. Sometimes here I deside to make it B&W - many ways (Channel mixer 50/50/0, for example...)

The main thing - your taste...
    Look at the result and say - yes, thats what I wanted...
    So,
    look at my photos - realy no postprocessng secrets...

As for the models - you can find all that pretty ones here and there. The problem is - to approach, to say 'Oh, sorry, you are SO beautiful! Can you help me - I said to my Internet friends, that the most beautiful girls live here, in Russia, in Voronezh city. Now I must prove this statement. But without your help, I cant do this!'
    Nothing bad if 20-40% will say 'No'...
    Just feel yourself confidently, say, that during this photosession you must take ~50 shots. Ask her/him to stand (again confidently - You know what you are doing!) this or that way - I always make minimum 5 shots with front, 5 with left side and head turened to your camera, 5 from the right side... and then choose another background (look at my posts...)

So,
    Try...
    Yuri
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Thank you Yuri for sharing the information that information with us.

A beautiful model and a wonderful presentation, as usual.

Michal
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    I need to know a woman called Nastya.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    you are so excited over her name, you forgot to think to move this to the hall - so, i did it for ye :D
    edited September 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nastya - is a shotname of Anastasya - very beautiful name...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Nastya - is a shotname of Anastasya - very beautiful name...

yuri - thanks so much for the excellent post-processing tips. definitely hall of wisdom material!
    edited September 8, 2005
    Sorry, Yuri, that I didn't get around to thanking you sooner. I've been busy moving. But thanks! And I didn't even have to sell my soul. This weekend I'm going to take my camera to Harvard Square and hang out and wait for the pretty girls and then ask them if I can take their pictures and you describe. I'll probably end up in jail or the hospital.
    If not now, when?
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Thankyou for sharing the great technique Yuri. This surely does belong in the Hall of Wisdom threadclap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Use the Force, Luc
    wxwax wrote:
    I mean, order by mail, Sid!:):
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 10, 2005
    Hi Yuri,

great portrait as usual. Thanks for the detailed explanation of your workflow. I'm sure it'll be useful to many. I do have a question however. If I understand correctly, you resize the photo to a web size first and then make all post-processing on the small version? What do you do if you want to print the photo?

Spasiba in advance for your answer :):,

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited September 12, 2005
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Hi Yuri,

great portrait as usual. Thanks for the detailed explanation of your workflow. I'm sure it'll be useful to many. I do have a question however. If I understand correctly, you resize the photo to a web size first and then make all post-processing on the small version? What do you do if you want to print the photo?

Spasiba in advance for your answer :):,

Ana
    Spasibo, Anna!
    I make just another PostProcessing - PP creative work is very interesting to me - sometimes I make 2 or more variants of prints (minimum - color and b&w)
    OK, I know, I could edit original file and then use it for web and prints... - but I'm not a pro, my aim is not production, but creation...
    Yours
    Yuri
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    Thanks for the explanation, Yuri. I agree, PP is very creative and very interesting, but I find it frustrates me if I do a great job on a web-sized pic and then can't duplicate it on the print-sized pic! So I do all PP on big photos so I can print them if I want, and resize later for web.

Of course, everybody finds a workflow that suits them best. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    rutt wrote:
    Sorry, Yuri, that I didn't get around to thanking you sooner. I've been busy moving. But thanks! And I didn't even have to sell my soul. This weekend I'm going to take my camera to Harvard Square and hang out and wait for the pretty girls and then ask them if I can take their pictures and you describe. I'll probably end up in jail or the hospital.
    Ha-ha-ha!
    You're so funny!
    Spasibo!
    Yuri
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2005
    Great post Yuri. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 17, 2005
    Yuri, your results are so great that it's hard to make a suggestion, but I'm going to try anyway. Dan Margulis has a trick for sharpening portraits, especially glamor shots. Sharpen in CMYK and sharpen only the K (black) channel or perhaps the Cyan and K channels. Typically there is very little detail in these channels in flesh. In your shot, I think this would have sharpened her eyes, eyelashes, and her hair a bit and not the texture of her face. It's easier than making a selection. Because it's selective, you can often use very large sharpening values. And it tends to look very natural.
    If not now, when?
    edited September 17, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Yuri, your results are so great that it's hard to make a suggestion, but I'm going to try anyway. Dan Margulis has a trick for sharpening portraits, especially glamor shots. Sharpen in CMYK and sharpen only the K (black) channel or perhaps the Cyan and K channels. Typically there is very little detail in these channels in flesh. In your shot, I think this would have sharpened her eyes, eyelashes, and her hair a bit and not the texture of her face. It's easier than making a selection. Because it's selective, you can often use very large sharpening values. And it tends to look very natural.
    Spasibo, Rutt!
    I'll try this trick.
    I sometimes use 'High Pass' sharpening (add layer/ Filter-> other->Highpass (what you need)// Overlay blending mode/ set opacity to what you need...)
    Yuri