Options

Cactus V4 or v5

rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 20, 2011 in Technique
Dose anyone have any in put on Cactus V4 or v5. I shoot a canon 40d with a 430ex speedlite. I shoot mostly outdoors portraits and some weddings. I am on a budget. I know you get what you pay for but right now its price.
canon 40D EF70- 200mm 1:2.8 l is usm EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    Dose anyone have any in put on Cactus V4 or v5. I shoot a canon 40d with a 430ex speedlite. I shoot mostly outdoors portraits and some weddings. I am on a budget. I know you get what you pay for but right now its price.

Cactus can't be relied on for a paid shoot. You're only asking for trouble.

The skyport's are very reliable and you can get a trigger plus receiver for $165 and never have to worry about them: http://tryth.at/aady6

I've heard these are more reliable than cactus and not too expensive: http://www.cheetahstand.com/servlet/the-121/Soldier-16-Channel-fdsh-3-Group/Detail
  • Options
    rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2011
    thank you for the info.
    canon 40D EF70- 200mm 1:2.8 l is usm EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    WarpedWarped Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    I'd respectfully disagree with Kevin and say from personal experience "rubbish".

My V4s worked faultlessly for years and took way more abuse than they deserved. After one too many drops, kicks, falls ....etc I upgraded to the V5s when they were released and am yet to have a misfire. I use the V5s on location, in the studio, at home, personal projects or paid shoots, at long distances from the lights ..... never a problem, they just work.

The large commercial studio I hire when I need extra space (can fit 2 cars in easily) uses Bowens triggers, but I still use my own V5s as being a commercial/hire studio you never know who used what last and how much abuse those triggers have copped.

Value for money, I find the V5s very hard to beat and would recommend them to anyone.
    I haven't seen recent prices for the V4s since the V5s came out, but the added versatility of the V5s (they're a transceiver rather than seperate Tx and Rx units) and the new design makes it worth going for the V5.

If $$ are an issue and $100 or so makes a significant difference - go the Cactus units and you won't be dissapointed.
    If at first you don't succeed - maybe sky diving isn't for you.
    www.warped-photography.com