Options

Photo Paper Cutter/Trimmer?

photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
edited September 6, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
We have an old Fiskars rotary paper cutter/trimmer that I've used for years, but now it's not cutting cleanly anymore (slightly ragged, even with a new rotary blade).

My wife wants to buy a new paper cutter -- in fact, she already picked up a 12" Fiskars Ultimate Craft Rotary 12" Paper Trimmer at a local crafts store -- but before we open it, we'd like to find out if we should return it and get something else. (Info on that one can be seen at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00026UUNO)

She'd use it mostly for trimming photos to put in scrapbooks and I'd eventually use it to trim photos for mounting. She only cares about up to 12" capacity; since our photo printer will print up to 13x19, I wouldn't mind more-than-12" capacity (but that isn't critical). We do have young children at home, so are hesitant to buy the big old-fashioned "pivoted cutting arm" (a.k.a. guillotine) type of cutter -- although we'd consider it if the rotary type just doesn't cut it (pun intentional) for trimming photos.

Can anyone recommend a decent type of cutter that we should be looking at, or even a specific model, that really cuts cleanly?

thanks for any help...
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited September 6, 2005
    I wouldn't buy a paper chopper if you'll want super-clean clean edges. Those are good when new, but AFAIK, you can't sharpen the blade on the arm when it goes dull. Plus, good ones cost a couple hundred dollars (put that money towards a rotory blade cutter instead). The choppers are OK I guess if you cut a print to mount onto a foam board and then place a matte in front of it, since the matte will be covering the edges of the photo. I've got one of these. I use it often, but not for quality cuts.

Might be time to invest in a larger rotary trimmer. Good art supply stores have them, as well as many places on the web.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    I've never seen one of the chopper-style things cut in a straight line.

Here's what I use, it's cheap and the blades (plain razor blades) are replaceable. It cuts straight, and after a couple of cuts you'll know exactly how to place your paper so that it cuts exactly where you want it to.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/12/

One of these days I would love to have a Rotatrim cutter, but those are much more expensive.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    I have a larger Fiskars cutter that I bought at Costco. I've had mine a couple years but AFAIK they still stock them. It is about 14 inches wide and about 24 inches long, has a scale marked on it in inches and cm, can handle paper about 12 inches by any length. It has a replaceable disk cutter that runs on a track. The sharp edge is completely enclosed and not dangerous. I also have the smaller cutter that you have and find this large one to be far sturdier, more reliable in getting a nice sharp straight line and easier to use.

ann
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    I have two Rotatrim cutters a 12" and 24". The 12" is probably nearing 10 years old and cuts as good as it did when it was new and I have done nothing to it. The 24" is the same, but only three years old.

Mine have the dual rails and are listed as:

Rotatrim 12" Mastercut Professional Rotary Cutter

Rotatrim 24" Mastercut Professional Rotary Cutter

Just don't look at the prices. deal.gif If you can take the price they do last and take a lot of use. I have a difficult time using any other trimmer now. I did just look up the prices at B+H and I paid about 20% less, they are very proud of their trimmers.

I have a friend that has a Dahle rotary trimmer. It works well, but it is showing it's age and usage. My friend often stops by to trim a stack of prints. I would rate it a good deal vs the price of the Rotatrim depending on your usage.

If you think the Rotatrim cutters are expensive look at some prices for a decent stack cutter. That is what I would like to have. :D