Options

One Day at Shi Shi Beach

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 2, 2011 in Landscapes
Last Saturday was my first trip ever to Shi Shi Beach, I've been avoiding it because I didn't have the proper backpacking gear, but then I thought, I don't need backpacking gear, I can just stay awake 16 hours! Since there was a full moon, I would have night shooting opportunities between sunset and sunrise, and the forecast/cloud cover looked very promising.

Temperatures in the 30s and a persistent 20 mph wind and wet boots didn't make for the most comfortable night (I had to exercise repeatedly to stay warm, and had a few failed attempts to sleep on a huge piece of driftwood and within a cave at low tide), but sometimes, stupidity and lack of preparedness can be worth it.

Shi Shi beach is the most photogenic of all the beaches in Olympic National Park that I've been to, and I'll definitely be back (except this time with a tent, a sleeping bag, and some food!).

#1 - Sunset at Point of Arches

1257305067_WFxK9HR-L.jpg

#2 - Cumulus clouds at night lit by a full moon

1256094488_TqgKN8N-L-1.jpg

#3 - Moonset (about an hour before sunrise)

1257346319_fg9Z4Vb-L.jpg

#4 - Dusk

1257324225_C3KX8Nq-L.jpg

#5 - Late afternoon (I knew these clouds would lead to a great sunset if they stuck around)

1257267445_vprKQzK-L.jpg

#6 - Sunrise

1258636953_xQBDm9c-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2011
    Beautiful photos. Worth braving the cold and the wind.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Great set Ron. Really like the light and composition in #1, 4 & 6. Nice foreground interest in #6 in particular.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    bowdown.gif I have no more adjectives to describe how good these are. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Excellent series!
    Well worth the uncomfortable night to get these.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Just incredible photos Ron!! I have come to expect nothing less from you!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Awesome awesome stuff! #2 is perfect.

How bad was the mud on the trail getting there? I'm planning a trip for August and want to do the hike without ruining a pair of boots in the process...
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I definitely plan on returning!
    bnickeson wrote: »
    Awesome awesome stuff! #2 is perfect.

How bad was the mud on the trail getting there? I'm planning a trip for August and want to do the hike without ruining a pair of boots in the process...

The mud was ridiculous, 12" deep in some places. It should be much improved by August but I don't imagine that trail is ever mud free. I had rubber boots on (not hiking boots) since I was going to be in the surf taking photos, and they do fine in the mud but they're not exactly comfortable for long walks.
  • Options
    TmetroffTmetroff Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    These are great! What type of filter did you use for #4?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2011
    Ron, Peter Lik (and heck, Survivorman, too) have nothing on you deal.gif
  • Options
    senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    I think #2 is going to be in the running for my favorite photo of the year.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    Tmetroff wrote: »
    These are great! What type of filter did you use for #4?

I had a polarizer on acting as a psuedo=ND filter, this was well after sunset and the exposure was 82 seconds, f/14 ISO 200.
    Andy wrote: »
    Ron, Peter Lik (and heck, Survivorman, too) have nothing on you deal.gif

Thanks Andy, that's probably because they're prepared :)
    senorjax wrote: »
    I think #2 is going to be in the running for my favorite photo of the year.

Thanks! Those big cumulus clouds were great, that particular shot is about a 3.5 minute exposure side lit by a full moon.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    great stuff, Ron, but that's normal for you... Shi-shi Beach is now officially on my bucket list! how far is it from where you park to the Point of Arches? i've heard it's a bit of a hike to get to the beach, and then a couple of miles from there to the Point?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    great stuff, Ron, but that's normal for you... Shi-shi Beach is now officially on my bucket list! how far is it from where you park to the Point of Arches? i've heard it's a bit of a hike to get to the beach, and then a couple of miles from there to the Point?

If you're going to park overnight, you need to park about .5 miles from the trailhead at a private lot ($10/night). You don't technically have to, but it's recommended so you don't get your car broken into (probably by the guy who runs the private lot!).

From the trail head it's probably 2 muddy miles or so to the north end of the beach (there's some steep switchbacks at the end down to the beach), and another 2 miles to Point of Arches on the south side of the beach.
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Really nice work as always Ron, I admire your tenacity. When you shot the sunset at Point of Arches was it low tide? do you remember what the tides were/
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice work as always Ron, I admire your tenacity. When you shot the sunset at Point of Arches was it low tide? do you remember what the tides were/
    Thanks

It was about 2.5 hours after a low tide. There are more landscape opportunities at Shi Shi during low tide then there are at Ruby Beach or Second Beach IMO, and all three beaches are great at high tide or high tide receding to low tide.
  • Options
    bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    These are great shots. the moonlight one is really stunning.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com