Comments

• Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    46 views and 0 comments?
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I like it, and the procesing is good for what I can see you were aiming for, ...BUT, I would have rather seen a happy kid in his element, with a less stylized shot. However, that is just my opinion, and I can see here this is not what the goal was. Sorry for my off the wall coments, just trying to give you some since I see that's what you want. :-)
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    I like it, and the procesing is good for what I can see you were aiming for, ...BUT, I would have rather seen a happy kid in his element, with a less stylized shot. However, that is just my opinion, and I can see here this is not what the goal was. Sorry for my off the wall coments, just trying to give you some since I see that's what you want. :-)

Thanks. We had some happy shots, but I'm an attitude kinda guy. Too many smiling pictures in this world, lol :)
  • Options
    ChessmasterChessmaster Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Original photo dude, nice work
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    Original photo dude, nice work

Thanks!
  • Options
    Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    I've got a couple questions about this photo if you dont mind...
    What are you trying to convey through this image? What does the big empty blackness do for it? the glow that screams "Photoshop!", and the logo cutting into the boy's face, they are there by design, obviously - what's the idea behind them? And cutting the face in half?
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    I would love to see that big empty space filled with a pic of him on the mound. The attitude shot got a thumbs up from my 14 yr old son. While moms like to see smiles the athletes want their intensity captured. this shot does that.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    I've got a couple questions about this photo if you dont mind...
    What are you trying to convey through this image? What does the big empty blackness do for it? the glow that screams "Photoshop!", and the logo cutting into the boy's face, they are there by design, obviously - what's the idea behind them? And cutting the face in half?

The empty blackness is called negative space. The glow was added because it's a poster, not just a photograph. The black in the real poster also includes his name and position number.

The logo isn't in the real picture. It's called a watermark.

Are you new to photography?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Not everybody is going to like this kind of stuff.
    If you don't provide more info with the shot you are going to get questions like you did from Marcin.
    As posted as a stand alone photo it is interesting....I don't love it...but so what.
    The glow doesn't work in a stand alone photo and the big watermark does not help the negative space effect.

As a poster with the name and number it probably works better....posters of kids would probably go over better if the kids entire face were visible and his face didn't look like he was the last one in line when the ice cream ran out....at least with the parents.
    I imagine the kid himself proably loves his poster.....not the same old run of the mill stuff all his friends have.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    Thank you for the comments.
  • Options
    Marcin WuuMarcin Wuu Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Yes, I'm new to photography, sorry if this bothers you. Kindly note I didn't ask how the black area and the text are called, but what are they doing for this image. I could probably understand it had you shown finished design. As it stands it's still just half-a-face with lots of black, photoshopped glow and distracting text...
    I'll try and not bother you anymore.
    I'm a lazy portraitist. I only shoot beautiful women.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    Marcin Wuu wrote: »
    Yes, I'm new to photography, sorry if this bothers you. Kindly note I didn't ask how the black area and the text are called, but what are they doing for this image. I could probably understand it had you shown finished design. As it stands it's still just half-a-face with lots of black, photoshopped glow and distracting text...
    I'll try and not bother you anymore.

By referring to it as negative space I was telling you what it was for.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Guys,

Let's keep the feedback civil.

This place is all about unicorns and rainbows. Let's keep that in mind when replying to feedback. deal.gif

Thanks,

- Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I don't comment often but I will here. I like it. There is a lot of dead space that you could have put something in - a team name, a pic of him on the mound right at the time of the release of the ball. But it all depends oo what you were trying to convey. After going back and reading all the comments I see that it does. I do like it and the kid's attitude.
    Dale Childress
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    As you see comments are a personal matter, so for my two cents and two nits. Not crazy about the glow around him although I love the subject placement and negative space. Put a catch light in his eye with some whitepaint in Photoshop. I think that will make his expression stronger. Very cool shot however.
  • Options
    lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    As you see comments are a personal matter, so for my two cents and two nits. Not crazy about the glow around him although I love the subject placement and negative space. Put a catch light in his eye with some whitepaint in Photoshop. I think that will make his expression stronger. Very cool shot however.

I agree about adding a catchlight. As it is, his eye seems a little flat. I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the glow; I don't think I'd miss it if it were gone, but its presence doesn't bother me either.