• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    iPad 3D.
    Very cool.
    edited April 11, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    After some additional fiddling I believe it is the connector on the computer. Slight movement of the cable will cause the charging to cease. This does not occur when using the cable on the wife's computer. Once the cable is in-place correctly (a lot of minor shifts and waits to see the lights come on) the batter will charge.

Off to see a genius....
    Thankfully it was the connector in the magnetic plug and not the computer.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
    No one's mentioned it here yet, but Final Cut Pro X looks immensely awesome. So long overdue, and so forward thinking in its design. I hope that once I start using it I still think those things!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 24, 2011
    Staff from my vacation dropped my iPad and bent the edge near the connector port. The main button does not work as designed - it takes a lot of pressure. eek7.gifhumungus:(::(::(::(:

Here at the genius bar to see what can be done.
    edited April 24, 2011
    Staff from my vacation dropped my iPad and bent the edge near the connector port. The main button does not work as designed - it takes a lot of pressure. eek7.gifhumungus:(::(::(::(:

Here at the genius bar to see what can be done.

Sorry to hear that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 24, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.
    Walking out with a brand new iPad now. One-time replacement policy from Apple....:D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 24, 2011
    Walking out with a brand new iPad now. One-time replacement policy from Apple....:D

Very nice!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited April 24, 2011
    Here was the damage:

i-tqp9GCq-L.jpg
    edited April 25, 2011
    I've got a few updates for y'all.

1) I bought myself a MacBook Air. Aside from being USB only, this is the perfect laptop. I love it. A lot. When the Thunderbolt update comes out it will be the perfect machine, and I'll get it and hand this one off to my wife.

2) I was skeptical, but so far I've been really liking MacKeeper. Much of what it does you can get for free, but I like the app, I like that it's all in one, and it's just really handy. I love the app update tracker module. It saves space on my drive, keeps things neat and tidy. I got a year subscription for the family (up to 5 computers) for $44 with a 50% off coupon (Jas5m).

3) I'm giving Marc Polo a shot for changing locations and various settings on the laptop between work and home.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 25, 2011
    I've got a few updates for y'all.

1) I bought myself a MacBook Air. Aside from being USB only, this is the perfect laptop. I love it. A lot. When the Thunderbolt update comes out it will be the perfect machine, and I'll get it and hand this one off to my wife.

2) I was skeptical, but so far I've been really liking MacKeeper. Much of what it does you can get for free, but I like the app, I like that it's all in one, and it's just really handy. I love the app update tracker module. It saves space on my drive, keeps things neat and tidy. I got a year subscription for the family (up to 5 computers) for $44 with a 50% off coupon (Jas5m).

3) I'm giving Marc Polo a shot for changing locations and various settings on the laptop between work and home.
    That is awesome. I might have to try those apps, too.
    edited April 25, 2011
    That is awesome. I might have to try those apps, too.
    One thing I'm really trying hard to do is to keep this system lean and mean. I'd had other apps in the past to do that (delete app-related files when deleting an app, removing junk files that are not needed, etc.), but I like how it's all one app, easy to overview what I'm doing.

When I migrated to this machine I did everything from the gound-up. I copied my documents, music, etc. by hand, but didn't bring over any preferences, applications, or other Library stuff. The only issue I've had is with the one Library item I did bring over: my Adium chat log. Whenever I open it the app crashes. ne_nau.gif But I'd been using Migration Assistant for so many upgrades I decided it was time to rid myself of all the detritus.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 25, 2011
    Don't rush into Marco Polo. The current version from the developer is old, and doesn't work properly in 10.6. There's an unofficial update I downloaded that I'm going to try, and there are vestiges of a 3.0 beta out on the net, but it looks like the app may be languishing, despite the many who love it out there. I'll post more if I find anything of use.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 26, 2011
    Don't rush into Marco Polo. The current version from the developer is old, and doesn't work properly in 10.6. There's an unofficial update I downloaded that I'm going to try, and there are vestiges of a 3.0 beta out on the net, but it looks like the app may be languishing, despite the many who love it out there. I'll post more if I find anything of use.
    Now I'm testing AirPort Location. Seems up to date and better for me. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 26, 2011
    I noticed that on the website that the last updated seemed a bit old.
    edited April 26, 2011
    Now I'm testing AirPort Location. Seems up to date and better for me. thumb.gif
    Will this allow the Air to connect to known free WiFi spots automatically if they require a username and password? My daughter's gym has a WiFi that is open, but you have to have the username and password (guest and guest). Also, the connection gives you a securtity certificate screen warning about connecting to 1.1.1.1 which is annoying to have to click through each time you reconnect. It would be nice to be able to bypass that automatically.
    edited April 26, 2011
    Isn't the guest/guest thing taken care of in the keychain? I'm not sure about the warning thing. It does a lot, and can trigger scripts, as well.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 26, 2011
    Isn't the guest/guest thing taken care of in the keychain? I'm not sure about the warning thing. It does a lot, and can trigger scripts, as well.
    For whatever reason the username and password are never prompted to be saved in the keychain. I my have to look at writing a script for this.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 26, 2011

I'm guessing the wireless in David's instance is web based (like many hotels). Why not store the password in the browser?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    This thread got me thinking: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=196201

Can someone help me find a good OSX e-mail client? I've tried Mail (sucks), Thunderbird (quasi-sucks), and Sparrow (only kinda-sucks). I don't want to pay for Outlook on my Mac because it's my 3rd-most used computer (4th if you count the iPad). I've also tried MailTab for Gmail which is a good idea poorly executed.

What are you guys using for mail?
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I actually liked to use Mail (with the mail act-on plugin, which made filing much easier), and am currently giving Sparrow a try (which is refreshing, but I clearly have more accounts than it is designed for...)

So my question is, what are the limitations you're trying to overcome?
    edited May 1, 2011
    A reasonable question, and for the record, I'm giving the newest version of MailTab for Gmail another go.

In Outlook I can have multiple accounts and move messages between them (say Gmail IMAP and my own server's IMAP).
    In Outlook I can have different SMTP servers for my different accounts. I don't remember which (Mail or Thunderbird), but that was a problem for one of them.

Admittedly, it's been several months since I've used either of them, so I'm having a hard time remembering what my main frustrations were. (Besides the fact that Thunderbird was just ugly.)
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Mail (and Sparrow) can use different SMTP servers for different accounts (I wouldn't be able to use them if they couldn't; as I said, I have way too many accounts on different services).

I also seem to be able to move messages between accounts with Mail (Sparrow cannot, though).

My main complaint is that Mail doesn't do anything to try to streamline working with email (which is why I have the Act-On plugin, which helps), and otherwise just has a too-cluttered interface.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    In Outlook I can have multiple accounts and move messages between them (say Gmail IMAP and my own server's IMAP).
    In Outlook I can have different SMTP servers for my different accounts. I don't remember which (Mail or Thunderbird), but that was a problem for one of them.

I'm doing both of those in Apple Mail. I've even used the drag-between-accounts feature to migrate emails when I dropped one account. Apple Mail doesn't seem to care whether you're dragging between folders in the same account, between online folders and disk folders, and folders between different accounts. The messages get moved in all cases.

I just looked in Mail and each of my IMAP accounts has its own SMTP (yes, different providers entirely).
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    I use mail for gmail and 's mobile me. I used the hints from this site : link to map the gmail sent, drafts, trash, folders to the folders in mail. This made it much easier to use.

I setup rules for sorting mail in the gmail web app so that regularly received emails are pre-sorted into folders (labels on gmail). You can use the OR command to filter many email addresses into one label: Link.
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give mail another (more educated) try. It's still a bad UI though.
    edited May 2, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give mail another (more educated) try. It's still a bad UI though.

I'd be interested to hear why. I've never ventured beyond Mail since I moved to OSX.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    New iMacs announced, and even the 21" has an IPS screen this time. Was just the 27" before (I think)

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/apple-updates-imac-with-thunderbolt-beefier-gpus/
    edited May 3, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    New iMacs announced, and even the 21" has an IPS screen this time. Was just the 27" before (I think)

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/apple-updates-imac-with-thunderbolt-beefier-gpus/

Handy little app, Mactracker.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Handy little app, Mactracker.

agree and its installed on my mac, but unfortunately, its doesnt give details on LCD screen tech. It just says LCD. I only seem to find this when Apple points it out specifically. The 24" iMacs were always specifically called out as IPS, but the 21" never were. Same for the 27" as well. Not sure why they do not stress this more (heck they do with the iPad)