Options

Photos of Huricane Katrina

schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited September 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here are some photos that were sent to my by a friend working in the area. I just thought I would share them. I can't offer much detail other than they are of Plaquemines Parish.

34779473-M.jpg

34779503-M.jpg
There are several more in my gallery.

http://Vegasschmoe.smugmug.com/gallery/784343/1/34779473
Youth is wasted on the young!

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Thanks for showing us schmoe...we are only seeing the bad stuff here via the media as they are not much good for anything else.

How is this water to get away ? Is it just a matter of waiting for the mississippi to drain it ?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks for showing us schmoe...we are only seeing the bad stuff here via the media as they are not much good for anything else.

How is this water to get away ? Is it just a matter of waiting for the mississippi to drain it ?
    They have to pump it out. The city sits below the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico, and Lake Pontchartrain. It's why it flooded so easily.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    They have to pump it out. The city sits below the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico, and Lake Pontchartrain. It's why it flooded so easily.
    Below eek7.gif God it looks a mess on telly.

So the mississippi (why can i spell that without looking it up ?) just couldnt get the water to the ocean fast enough & it backed up & burst the levys ?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Mis Sis Sippi
    Humungus wrote:

So the mississippi (why can i spell that without looking it up ?) just couldnt get the water to the ocean fast enough & it backed up & burst the levys ?

We used to sing a song M I S (pause) S I S (pause) S I P P I to remember how to spell Mississippi in school.

Through Yahoo.com and reading about the hurricane, I stumbled on some threads that explained about the levees, and showed before and after satellite views which helped explain the flooding to me.

Here is a internet continuous video coverage that my Mac can view, try this link for more information:

http://www.wdsu.com/video/4926042/detail.html

Hurricane coverage
  • Options
    schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    New Orleans
    wxwax wrote:
    Not only is it up to eight feet below sea level in spots, it is continually sinking at a rate of about 1/3 inch per year compounding the problem.
    Youth is wasted on the young!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

The levees were only engineered to withstand a category 3 hurricane. (Katrina was a 5). They are 100+ years old. The break happened on the north side of the city, allowing the lake to flow freely into the city.

Now that the breech is patched, pumping has begun to drain the water.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    The levees were only engineered to withstand a category 3 hurricane. (Katrina was a 5). They are 100+ years old. The break happened on the north side of the city, allowing the lake to flow freely into the city.

Now that the breech is patched, pumping has begun to drain the water.
    Katrina was technically only a Cat 4 when it hit land (just nit-pickin'). There was a surprise gust of (divine?) wind out of the west which hit at just the right time to slow it down a notch, and nudge it slightly eastward. Otherwise New Orleans would have been hit even harder. Not that that makes it any better what happened afterwards!

But yes, the Mississippi River levees all held. In fact, the historic district including the French Quarter and the Garden District was mostly spared (they sit a couple feet higher). This should help get the ecomony going once the city is habitable again...... whenever that is. ne_nau.gif
    Chris