Options

couple images

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited April 25, 2011 in Go Figure
1199971227_X446u-L-1.jpg
As it came out of the camera, cropped only.

1196040186_GJLNM-L.jpg
Application of curves in Lightroom is the only manipulation.
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Really like the first one,
    but the second one doesn't do anything for me.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    LordKwazLordKwaz Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I would love the first image if her attention was to the camera
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2011
    LordKwaz wrote: »
    I would love the first image if her attention was to the camera

Could you say why you'd want to see more of her face? I want the attention of the viewer on her figure and pose, not on who she is. Perhaps, even less of the face?
    Brandon Smith
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    Good Evening,
    Like the colors and the 'mystery' look. Could be my neighbor, who knows...
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Evening,
    Like the colors and the 'mystery' look. Could be my neighbor, who knows...
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...

Thanks, I think the term "mystery look" is very appropriate. I've been developing along these lines, I think.

Doubt either one is a neighbour of yours, though. Unless you have another house out here in Missouri.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    eleganteyeeleganteye Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2011
    I really like the two contrasting hues in the first one, as well as the contrast with the dark background. I agree that taking this one more towards abstraction would only strengthen it. No need to see a face, or even immediately recognize that it's a person.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    eleganteye wrote: »
    I really like the two contrasting hues in the first one, as well as the contrast with the dark background. I agree that taking this one more towards abstraction would only strengthen it. No need to see a face, or even immediately recognize that it's a person.

Thank you for your comment. I'll have to think about more abstraction, I did try that, but am not as happy with the result as I am with what came out of the camera.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    CountryfiedCountryfied Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2011
    Love the first one. I would really appreciate knowing how you did it. I see that it is a 30 second shutter speed and f/8....but i think my seniors would really go crazy over something like this (non-nude of course).....Could you please let me know how you did it. THANKS...Tammy
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    The biggest problem with a 30 second exposure is that the camera then takes another 30 seconds to do noise reduction, plus another few seconds of activity. So these shots have to be set up and done one at a time. In this case the model got in a comfortable position and held it. The camera was on a tripod and after I clicked the shutter I moved around the model with some colored lights (the LED type, not glow stick type, those are too dim). Some of the time I pointed the lights at her, other times I just waved them around.

This is a gallery of still lifes I did using this technique. http://images.redwoodtwig.com/Art/Light-Painting/Still-life/3853380_HdK3q
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2011
    synature wrote: »
    The biggest problem with a 30 second exposure is that the camera then takes another 30 seconds to do noise reduction, plus another few seconds of activity. So these shots have to be set up and done one at a time. In this case the model got in a comfortable position and held it. The camera was on a tripod and after I clicked the shutter I moved around the model with some colored lights (the LED type, not glow stick type, those are too dim). Some of the time I pointed the lights at her, other times I just waved them around.

This is a gallery of still lifes I did using this technique. http://images.redwoodtwig.com/Art/Light-Painting/Still-life/3853380_HdK3q

Thanks for the workflow. But do you use off camera flash to get the final second curtain flash to make her in focus or was it all done with the LED lights lighting her?

Also, how do you even begin to meter? It was obviously pitch dark with a 30 second exposure. If I am asking too many trade secrets, just tell me to buzz off.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    Thanks for the workflow. But do you use off camera flash to get the final second curtain flash to make her in focus or was it all done with the LED lights lighting her?

Also, how do you even begin to meter? It was obviously pitch dark with a 30 second exposure. If I am asking too many trade secrets, just tell me to buzz off.

Thanks again.

All done with LED lights. Actually it wasn't pitch dark, there were some dim lights in other parts of the studio, not much though. You don't meter. You try to remember what setting seems to work best with the lights you happen to be using. I generally preview the first shot and adjust from what I see in the tiny LCD on the camera. Too dark, either open the aperture more or give it more time. Too light, close the aperture down. And balance that against how long you want to be moving the lights, what kinds of light trails you want. This particular camera max is 30 seconds, and while there is the bulb setting, I'd need a timer and haven't found one I like yet.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2011
    synature wrote: »
    All done with LED lights. Actually it wasn't pitch dark, there were some dim lights in other parts of the studio, not much though. You don't meter. You try to remember what setting seems to work best with the lights you happen to be using. I generally preview the first shot and adjust from what I see in the tiny LCD on the camera. Too dark, either open the aperture more or give it more time. Too light, close the aperture down. And balance that against how long you want to be moving the lights, what kinds of light trails you want. This particular camera max is 30 seconds, and while there is the bulb setting, I'd need a timer and haven't found one I like yet.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. That's a big help. Last question and I will quit bothering you. Can you describe or show the lights you were using. Are they like LED colored flash lights?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2011
    Thanks. I really appreciate it. That's a big help. Last question and I will quit bothering you. Can you describe or show the lights you were using. Are they like LED colored flash lights?

Mostly I use two kinds of lights: a regular palm sized LED flashlight, always with a white light, but some of them have a head that will twist to give red or blue also. Read the lumens rating, if more than about 75, it's easy to get too much light on the subject, even when done quickly. The other lights that I use are the ones that leave the nice trails behind. These are usually wands a bit longer than the hand with a colored plastic tube in front that diffuses the light nicely. Usually in the flashlight section of the bigger department type stores. Availability varies a lot, I just stop in frequently to see what they have.

Basically, get a bunch of different colored LED type lights and play. The glow stick type are much dimmer and you need much longer exposures for the light to look decent.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    mdslngrmdslngr Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2011
    first one is awesome