Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    But Nightingale just HAD to have a Mighty Mouse. I ordered it for her last night ne_nau.gif

I'd love to hear her review. It looks pretty cool. I either use a small travel mouse with my powerbook, or with my desktops I use a Wacom, so I can go between mouse and stylus for different purposes and also to change it up so my arm doesn't get all sore and carpall-tunnelly.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'd love to hear her review. It looks pretty cool. I either use a small travel mouse with my powerbook, or with my desktops I use a Wacom, so I can go between mouse and stylus for different purposes and also to change it up so my arm doesn't get all sore and carpall-tunnelly.

I ordered one. You know how I like a smaller mouse, using a Kensington pocket mouse pro optical now, which I guess will go with the laptop. We'll see how it works, though like you I switch to the Wacom to break things up.
    edited August 4, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    We'll see how it works

Here's how it works (I know, not what you meant).

Dissecting Mighty Mouse
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    safari to firefox bookmarks exporter
    safari to firefox bookmarks exporter it takes about 10secs to export your safari bookmarks to firefox.

sweet little app.
    edited August 26, 2005
    no more pc at home
    i'm 100% mac now at home, having just rid myself of the last pc lol3.gif it served me well but in the end, i've been tech support nearly every night and that sucks. did i say sucks?

mac mini up and running for wife and kid, and that is sweet.
    edited August 27, 2005
    switchers: easy way to switch outlook messages to mac mail
    outlook to mac converter it's a sweet little $10 program that runs on a pc. i needed to move my wifes outlook express email from the old pc to mac mail. well, outlook express only let's you export to outlook, that's fine... created an outlook data file (.pst) and then used littlemachines to convert the file to mac mail ready.

easy as eating steak with patch next to b&h!
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    I found this app, SCIT that will:
    SCIT 1.0 - Mac OS X
    Screen Capture Image Type

Use this app. to change the image format for the screen capture function, known types are:
    BMP, GIF, JPG, JP2, PCT, PDF, PNG, PSD, TIF
    The changes takes effect immediately, no need to logout and then re login.

Requires Mac OS Tiger (10.4 or above)

It does not change how GRAB saves files, but it does work for the key commands. thumb.gif
    edited September 6, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I found this app, SCIT that will:

It does not change how GRAB saves files, but it does work for the key commands. thumb.gif

I use Capture, a widget that allows you set filetype and size of your captures.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I use Capture, a widget that allows you set filetype and size of your captures.

I have it this just seems even easier. I don't have any widgets running I can access most of what I need by keys or via the internet. I guess I would use widgets more if I was not always on the internet. ne_nau.gif
    edited September 6, 2005
    PDF Receipts
    Here's another tip you may or may not know, and it comes in really handy for all those purchases you make at B&H and Amazon.

After you've made your purchase and your browser is displaying your receipt, hit cmd-p to print the page, but DON'T PRINT IT!

Just select the PDF button in your print dialog box (or whatever OS X is calling them) and a pop-up menu will appear. In there you can do many things...and one of them is to save the page as a PDF to your Web Receipts Folder.

This is a handy way to keep confirmation of purchases, bank transfers, online bill payments, tons of stuff.

This tip is written for Tiger. Panther has the ability to do this, but it takes some work to set it up. Tiger's done the work for you!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Here's another tip you may or may not know, and it comes in really handy for all those purchases you make at B&H and Amazon.

After you've made your purchase and your browser is displaying your receipt, hit cmd-p to print the page, but DON'T PRINT IT!

Just select the PDF button in your print dialog box (or whatever OS X is calling them) and a pop-up menu will appear. In there you can do many things...and one of them is to save the page as a PDF to your Web Receipts Folder.

This is a handy way to keep confirmation of purchases, bank transfers, online bill payments, tons of stuff.

This tip is written for Tiger. Panther has the ability to do this, but it takes some work to set it up. Tiger's done the work for you!

This looks like something I will use frequently - good tip!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited September 7, 2005
    i've been just using "grab" or whatever that key sequence you taught me is, apple key, shift, 4.... then putting the recpts in a folder - i'm looking forward to using this one :D
    DavidTO wrote:

edited September 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i've been just using "grab" or whatever that key sequence you taught me is, apple key, shift, 4.... then putting the recpts in a folder - i'm looking forward to using this one :D

The beauty of this is that it gets the whole page, not just the part you happen to have visible at the time.

Here's another very cool Tiger tip. In Safari, type cmd-i and the current page will be turned into an HTML email (works with Mail, not sure about other apps like Entourage.) All you gotta do is address it and change the subject if you want (the subject is the page name, by defualt).

You can also use cmd-opt-i to just send the link to the page, but I love sending a whole webpage in an email, it's cool! In fact, that's how I announce my latest smugmug galleries, cmd-i and address it to friends and family. They get the first page right there in the email (I usually log out first, so that they don't get my version of the page, but the public version).
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 7, 2005
    Stealth Mode
    And here's a new one I just picked up.

Go to your System Prefs and select Sharing. Click on the Firewall tab and then select Advanced. You'll see the attached dialog sheet, where you can turn on Stealth Mode. The explanation's in the attached image.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 7, 2005
    Last one for the night.

You all use and love Exposé, right? Try this. Open several apps, each with at least one window open. Invoke Exposé's show all windows option (F9, usually).

Now, you ready?

Hit cmd-tab. Yep, the application switcher. You have to release it for this to work. Hit it again. And again. And again.

Wow.

Now do the same thing, but just hit tab, without the command key. Pretty neat, huh? You don't need to release if you're just hitting tab. In fact, just hold the tab down and sit back and watch the show.

When you're in this Exposé application switcher mode and you hit F9 again, you go back to Exposé. One more hit, and you're back in your normal view.

Enjoy!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 7, 2005
    iTunes 5

It can have a couple different windows open. I am not sure how many or types you can have, but I have the store in one and my library in another. clap.gif Now just give me tabs in the store so I can multitask my music purchases and bookmark your favorite artist.
    edited September 8, 2005
    You can use Spotlight to find a file rather than just open it. From the Spotlight menu, select the file and type cmd-return and it will be revealed in Finder.

If you're in the Spotlight window, right click and select reveal in finder from the contextual menu.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 10, 2005
    Exposé.

A great way to compare images in PS. F10, baby.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 11, 2005
    imovie help needed.

I shot a quick AVI clip on my S70 this weekend, not even thinking about it. I shot it vertically. Is there an easy way to rotate a movie? ear.gif :bash
    patch29 wrote:
    Is there an easy way to rotate a movie? ear.gif :bash

yes. turn your head, and cough lol3.gif
    patch29 wrote:
    imovie help needed.

I shot a quick AVI clip on my S70 this weekend, not even thinking about it. I shot it vertically. Is there an easy way to rotate a movie? ear.gif :bash

Depends on what you call simple.
    Moderator Emeritus
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks, I will try one of those out. thumb.gif
    Keep your widgets up to date with Widget Update
    Moderator Emeritus
    DavidTO wrote:

I just noticed they are all shareware, can FCP do this? I have it at home, but cannot access it at the moment. I am about to just post the clip. It is only 7 seconds long and they can just use andy's method. :D
    patch29 wrote:
    I just noticed they are all shareware, can FCP do this? I have it at home, but cannot access it at the moment. I am about to just post the clip. It is only 7 seconds long and they can just use andy's method. :D

Yes, FCP has a Rotate filter.

Effects>Video Filters>Perspective>Rotate

I also read somewhere that QT 7 can do this, in the player, I think. Don't know, I looked and couldn't figure it out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, FCP has a Rotate filter.

Effects>Video Filters>Perspective>Rotate

Perfect. I will just wait until I get home. I knew you would know the answer. :D
    edited September 12, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Perfect. I will just wait until I get home. I knew you would know the answer. :D

That's what I get paid for!
    Moderator Emeritus
    upgrading to tiger
    well, i finally got 'round to upgrading to tiger.
    thanks david, for reminding me how utterly simple apple stuff is to deal with.

i took standard precautions that one should do prior to any system upgrade:

* ensured all me docs, pics, files, folders were backed up
    * made sure my disks were in good shape

i shoved in the tiger disk and literally the system did the rest. super fast, super easy

thanks apple!
    andy wrote:

thanks apple!

tiger seems faster for photoshop

i ran this test and it came in in 48 seconds flat. bt, before tiger, the test ran in 58 seconds.

cool!
    DavidTO wrote:
    Keep your widgets up to date with Widget Update

is that a widget for widgets?