Options

DSS75 - Which Came First?

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited April 30, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
We had some nice weather this weekend, so I had to get out and about.

#1 Sunrise or Sunset
p1380298adjust-L.jpg

#2 Ebb or Flow (or Crest or Trough)
p1380243straightencrop-L.jpg

#2 Coming or Going
p1380331adjust-L.jpg

#3 Smoke or Fire
p1380352adjust-L.jpg

All suggestions and comments are much appreciated. :lust

Comments

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I really like #2 - Ebb & Flow - both the photo & the title are great! Love the way you caught the big swell & the rays; & the color of the seaweed really coordinates &/or accents the color from the horizon. The bubbles are really sweet too - hidden treasures! :)

#1 is nice but not striking; #3 - the tail lights make me think going & not coming; & #4 - like the silhouettes & the boy covering his face, but think the photo is a little too dark & the focus looks a little soft on the two around the fire. Hope this helps!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like #2 - Ebb & Flow - both the photo & the title are great! Love the way you caught the big swell & the rays; & the color of the seaweed really coordinates &/or accents the color from the horizon. The bubbles are really sweet too - hidden treasures! :)

#1 is nice but not striking; #3 - the tail lights make me think going & not coming; & #4 - like the silhouettes & the boy covering his face, but think the photo is a little too dark & the focus looks a little soft on the two around the fire. Hope this helps!

I agree with Lilian's comments and I like #2 too - very nice thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »

Great ideas!! thumb.gif I agree with Lillian's comments.

I really love the idea of sunrise or sunset, but the problem with entering sunsets in a contest is that we've all seen thousands of them, and unless it takes your breath away - it's just another good sunset (I've taken hundreds of good sunsets, I have yet to take a spectacular one :D).
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Different again...I prefer #1 with the title of #2. I like the lighting better in #2, but not sure about the leaves in the foreground.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 26, 2011
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    I also like #2. Great title, too. I'm with Seascapes that I'm not sure I like the leaves in the foreground, but I love your composition in this one.

Sherry
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited April 30, 2011
    Lots of great ideas here! I like #2 best, I think. Sun up or sun down, sunrise or sunset, ebb or flow - they all work for me.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Thanks for all of your comments!

I like #4, but my camera really does not do well in low light. The softness that you are seeing is probably motion blur. At least on the boy.

I tried a few crops of #2. Do any of them work better?

#5 Pano
    p1380243straightencrop4-L.jpg

#6 Square
    p1380243straightencrop5-L.jpg

#7 Left a bit of seaweed
    p1380243straightencrop3-L.jpg

#8 No Seaweed
    p1380243straightencrop2-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited April 30, 2011
    I think I prefer #8 with no seaweed, making even cropping just a smidgin more off the bottom. Lovely image and great idea!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I think I prefer #8 with no seaweed, making even cropping just a smidgin more off the bottom. Lovely image and great idea!

I didn't mind the seaweed in the beginning because it added some color, but I agree that without it's
    better in this context. I think #8 is the best.

PS: maybe you can add a little more light (reduce the black) on the rocks in the foreground to show more texture...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com