Options

Our trip out west

MikeAldrichMikeAldrich Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited April 26, 2011 in Journeys
Hey everyone! So last year my girl and I took a late summer>fall road trip out west for work and play. We started from her mom's house in Missouri going to Cali (San Fran, San Diego) and back. We had an amazing journey, but once we got back to Missouri, Megan had to stay due to family obligations while I continued back home to Florida. In our time apart, I made some postcards of special moments of our trip and sent them to her every few days to cheer her up. We are huge on postcards when traveling and make stops every time we hit anew state to stock up. Here they are...

The first few are of a lightning storm that occurred a few days before we left Missouri. I added the dry brush filter to these. the lighting of the trees was done with Meg's mom's enormously huge and bright flashlight. It was a huge storm and Meg's mom's introduction to long exposures. She got a kick out of it. Though, I think she liked working the flashlight more.

1-DSC_0041drybrush.jpg

2-DSC_0044drybrush.jpg

3-DSC_0060-drybrush.jpg

After finally getting outta Nebraska, I found it difficult to put the camera down after we hit Wyoming. These next few were taken through the window while cruising down the highway.

4-wyoming2.jpg

6-wyoming3.jpg

7-wyoming.jpg

Gotta stretched the legs after extended periods of non stop driving!

5-thismuch.jpg

Phish song lyric

8-ontheroadagain.jpg

Moving right along, we took a break from our work schedule to drive down to San Diego and visit some good friends, then we took a break from seeing our good friends and went camping a couple hours outta San Diego in the Cleveland National Forest.

First stop Lake Henshaw, where we found some incredible campgrounds and some good folks.

9-lakehenshaw.jpg

10-lakehenshaw2.jpg

During our random "let's see where this road takes us" driving around, we found a little dirt road with a camping sign that meandered 7 miles into the mountains. this was, quite literally, in the middle of no where. Towards the end of the road there was a rock formation that looked like something out of the Lion King, naturally, I had to pull over and explore. Amidst the many, many signs warning of mountain lions in the territory and the nearest hospital a few hours away, these next few shots were as close as Megan would let me get.

11-mountainlionrock.jpg

12-thelionsden.jpg

There are also rattlesnakes!

13a-didyouhear.jpg

13-indianflats2.jpg

14-indianflats.jpg

15-mointainlion.jpg

After our exile into the mountains and a fond farewell to our Ocean Beach family, we headed up the 1 for the first time. So many amazing photos ops. We must have pulled over every few miles. This is where we fell in love with a little town called San Simeon, and their elephant seals. We were cruising along when it started getting dark and we passed San Simeon and then a very short while later, we past a sign that read "Elephant Seal Viewing area". If you understood may love of Seals than you'd know what this meant... that's right, we're pulling over! Now, since we had maybe 15 minutes of light light and me being like a kid on Christmas about the see an elephant seal for the first time, we were left with no other choice but to go back to San Simeon and get a room for the night.

15a-sansimeonbirds.jpg

15b-SanSimienbird.jpg

15-seagull1copycopy.jpg

This is what I got to enjoy all morning the next day!

16-seal1.jpg

17-seal2.jpg

Well, that concludes my journey via postcards! I hope you enjoyed them.
“The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

http://www.shuttershockphotobooth.com/

Comments