The Sun is My Enemy.

iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 10, 2011 in People
I really need some help with my outdoor shots. I don't know how to take shots when its partial to full sun without getting this funky coloring or spots across the subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    iteach6g wrote: »
    I really need some help with my outdoor shots. I don't know how to take shots when its partial to full sun without getting this funky coloring or spots across the subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Was there supposed to be an image here?

Spots across the subject are usually caused by light poking through something like tree limbs. In that case, you need to find better quality shade (more solid shade).

I'm not sure what you mean by funky coloring? We'd need to see an example.

Some other tips would be to put the sun at the subjects back to use it as a hair/rim light. Shoot in open shade. Or use some strobe techniques to take over the exposure the way you want.

If you don't have shade and you don't have strobes, you can diffuse the sun with a see-through umbrella or create full shade with a more opaque or non-see-through umbrella. You could also use reflectors to add fill or to flag/block the sun.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011

Thanks!

The funky coloring and spots - I'm guessing you're talking about lens flare. This happens when you are shooting in situations where the sun is actually shining on the front element of the lens. The best way to prevent it is to keep the sun from shining on the front element. A lens hood will usually do this, but there are times when the hood is not quite enough. So, when needed, I also use a very large brimmed hat to shade the lens during the exposure.
  • iteach6giteach6g Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thank you Scott and Kevin! I appreciate your feedback and willingness to take the time to give me feedback. I know it would be nice to see some actual photos of what I'm talking about, and believe me I tried several times, but I couldn't upload the pics. I think that because I'm shooting RAW and then convert to JPEG my files are still too large to upload onto this site. I really want to improve my skills and feel like I've hit a wall. I've been really frustrated as a result. When I take outdoor pictures it’s really hit or miss for me. There are times when I get good ones and times when they are so bad there's no editing them. I will have to look into getting a lens hood. Do you recommend a tulip shaped one and are you partial to any particular brands?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    edited April 26, 2011
    Hi guys, I figured out how to upload the photo. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Im just starting out and really want to get better.

IMG_0189.jpg

This (unedited) photo looks washed out and even with editing her face still lacks the crispness I was hoping for. Her skintone looks a little yellow in the edited version as well and I'm pretty sure its not due to an error with vibrancy or saturation levels. I love the simpleness of this child just looking into the camera, but the quality of the photo is not at all what I want.

IMG_0187.jpg
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Some simple tips
    Hi, here's some examples, and then some tips.

p902096940-4.jpg

p812992744-4.jpg

p1064701031-4.jpg

Tip 1 - get a decent flash, not the little pop up one.

Tip 2 - Taking shots with the sun behind you, this will illuminate the subject, but you may need some fill flash to reduce the shadows. Watch out for squinting/blinking.

Tip 3 - With the sun behind the subject, use your flash to illuminate them. Try and set the shutter speed and aperture so that the background isn't blown out. You will need a powerful flash to 'cancel out the sun'. Try moving the flash off camera, my example images were taken in this way.

Hope that helps.
  • Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    kevingeary wrote: »
    You could also use reflectors to add fill or to flag/block the sun.

This. Start with a reflector - we love the Westcott Sunlight pack. Contains a silver/soft gold reflector as well as a diffusion panel. Use both of them with your subjects - reflector to fill in the face and the diffusion panel between the sun and your subject to cut out some of the light.
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Stuart, instead of your examples, I see "Content Protected by Owner"
    edited April 27, 2011
    Full sun behind the subject, Westcott soft gold reflector in front for fill...

Kelsey-IMG_3518-800.jpg
    Kelsey-IMG_3499-800.jpg

Full sun used as main, reflector camera left for fill (but it wasn't doing much). Shot raw, in LR used the adjustment brush to bring back some of the sky.

Kelsey-IMG_3514-800.jpg
    edited April 27, 2011
    Full sun camera right, used a diffusion panel camera right to knock some of it down

HSD-2384.jpg

Full sun in the face of the subjects, used 3 small diffusion panels to knock some of it down

Williams-5554.jpg
    edited April 27, 2011
    Thank you!
    Thank you guys for giving me such helpful advice! This has been frustrating me for some time and ruining what could have been some really nice shots. Now I'm going to really show my ignorance....I bought a 5 in 1 but I'm not completely sure how to use it. For example, do you just play around with the positioning until you get it and then shoot or are there more specific ways to use these things? Do you have an assistant hold it in position for you? I'm really in practice and learn mode right now, but I would love to do this professionally one day and I don't want to look like an idiot out there. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1&quot;></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\SHANNO~1.LES\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The pictures you posted as examples are beautiful and super helpful. What filters do you use or recommend? Are you talking about the kind that screws right onto the lens?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again,<o:p></o:p>
    Shannon<o:p></o:p>
  • lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Lens filters won't really change your lighting much (at least, they won't change the ratio between the amount of light on your subject's face and the brightness of the background, which is the main problem).

There was a thread recently talking about shooting into the sun, though with the use of a flash.

I've never used a reflector myself, so everything else I have to say is based on what I've read. You can use an assistant to position a reflector, or attach it to a light stand (though obviously any method used to keep it still would be fine).

Your goal with the reflector is to 1) bring the brightness of their face near to the brightness of the background and 2) to provide directional light to their face. 1) is easy, since you're reflecting sunlight (harder with a flash). For 2), start by having the reflector in front of your subject or to your side (not more than 45º off from where you are, unless you want more dramatic shadows on one side of the face).

Don't put it on the ground if you can avoid it; keep it at your own height (or higher). (My understanding of that advice is simply that sunlight is always above or to the side of us, never below us, so humans are used to seeing shadow patterns from those angles.)

You can feather the light on their face by adjusting the reflector so that only the edge of the reflection lights the face.

That should be more than enough to start on. So try it out, then post your experiments here for people more experienced than I to critique :D

- Tim
    edited April 27, 2011
    Thanks Tim! I'll give it a try this weekend. Its nearly impossible to get anything done during the week with my little ones! :)
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    lanaer wrote: »
    Stuart, instead of your examples, I see "Content Protected by Owner"

Still getting used to zenfolio, hope this works:

p902096940-3.jpg

p812992744-3.jpg

p1064701031-3.jpg
    edited May 3, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    Still getting used to zenfolio, hope this works:

p902096940-3.jpg

p812992744-3.jpg

p1064701031-3.jpg
    Unfortunately, it still says "Content Protected by Owner." I'd love to see the pictures if you are able to figure out how to make them show. :)
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    reflectors
    Does anyone else have an issue with the reflectors blinding the subjects, or making them squint? I keep telling my husband to back up. It is more of a problem with someone that is backlit in full sun.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011

Thanks!

without reading all the comments.. I also still struggle a bit. My favorite cheat is to find some shade if possible and have subject face the sun but be in shade. This seems to work REALLY well if the ground is a light color, it reflects that light up into the face. Or you can try to bounce a reflector from on the ground up toward your subject.

PS some people PAY $$$ to get the sun flare look! But they don't usually want it on the face, it is a good thing if you can control it.thumb.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    If you subscribe to Kelby Training, watch the course by Cliff Mautner - Wedding Photography - Shooting Around the Clock

He does a fantastic job of demonstrating techniques for shooting outdoors and using the sun to your advantage at any time of the day.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    If you subscribe to Kelby Training, watch the course by Cliff Mautner - Wedding Photography - Shooting Around the Clock

He does a fantastic job of demonstrating techniques for shooting outdoors and using the sun to your advantage at any time of the day.

And now, even if you're not subscribed to Kelby Training, but are a NAPP member - you can view this as the "course on loan from Kelby Training" at the NAPP member website from May 16 through mid-June.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR