Options

Where to send a camera off to for good cleaning

JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited April 30, 2011 in Cameras
Well, after years of being dragged all over the southeast, in the woods and elsewhere, my 30D really needs a little more TLC than I can provide it. In time (hopefully this summer) I am going to purchase a full frame camera, howeve this will always be a backup so I want it in tip top shape.

So, anyone have any reccomendations to where I can send my camera to to have some quality work done on it? I am in South Carolina and would like to keep it on the east coast if possible, but have no problem shipping it anywhere in the U.S. if need be.
“Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
[John Muir]

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Canon...sounds like a good place to start.......or

http://www.phototech.com/demo/index.php

here is my google search results..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2010
    Canon... if it's not under warranty it won't be free, but I don't know how much. They have locations in New Jersey and Calif I think.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Canon. I'd send to NJ before CA... Always hear bad things about CA, beside I'm pretty sure NJ is their main facility and can handle more than CA....
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    If it's not under warranty, there is a factory authorized repair center in Washington, DC. I have personally delivered my Nikons (they do Nikon and Canon) and they take about 3 days. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head. I think around $70??? They do a full cleaning, not just the sensor. They clean the mirror box, the whole kit and caboodle!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 7, 2010
    If it's not under warranty, there is a factory authorized repair center in Washington, DC. I have personally delivered my Nikons (they do Nikon and Canon) and they take about 3 days. I can't remember the cost off the top of my head. I think around $70??? They do a full cleaning, not just the sensor. They clean the mirror box, the whole kit and caboodle!
    It's worth checking with Canon factory service. I'm pretty sure the quote I got for cleaning my 40D (before it decided to break so it needed real repair) was very inexpensive, quite a bit less than $70.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    It may have actually been closer to $45 and not $70. My memory is a little shaky! (I'm talking ** MY ** memory and not my camera's) :D
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Send it to Canon.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010

What's this place called? I live in NoVa.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010

What experience do you have with Strauss? I'm considering sending a few film cameras I recently acquired off for professional cleaning/tune-ups (no repairs needed that I know of...just dirty)...a T-90 and an AE-1 Program. :D
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I had excellent service for off-warranty service with the Canon service depot in Canada. I sent in the lens, and received a quote within a couple of days (via a service/ticketing website).

I confirmed the work, and it proceeded the next day, and was shipped back to me within a couple of days.

At least for this experience, I can't say enough good things about them!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    What experience do you have with Strauss? I'm considering sending a few film cameras I recently acquired off for professional cleaning/tune-ups (no repairs needed that I know of...just dirty)...a T-90 and an AE-1 Program. :D

So far, I've used Strauss twice and I've been pleased. I took it to Strauss directly because Strauss is the closed authorized service center in my area. My local camera shop doesn't even do in house cleaning.
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    I use CPS amazing and fast turn around paid for the Gold membership $100 they sent me a box of goodies really nice camera Canon CPS Strap, lens wipes, some Canon Caps, coffee table book that is not bad, and a few other things.

You might check it out?
    Canon CPS
  • Options
    JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2010
    Well it looks like it's gonna be Canon...

Thanks for all the replies folks!
    “Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    [John Muir]
  • Options
    MelodinaMelodina Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    AmAzInG service from CamerasAndParts.com
    "So, anyone have any reccomendations to where I can send my camera to to have some quality work done on it? I am in South Carolina and would like to keep it on the east coast if possible, but have no problem shipping it anywhere in the U.S. if need be."

Guys, I recently got a new camera but wanted to still use my Canon Powershot S5 for times when I can't lug around all the weight of the new one. I sent my Canon Powershot to an online company called CamerasAndParts.com. I even got $10 off my order. Camera had a common "Lens Error" problem that I had read about online (amongst other maladies that I'm sure I will encounter someday). They fixed it for $89 and mailed it back. I took it to my daughter's graduation in Utah but wasn't happy with the clarity of the photos? Something was different? Shine on faces ... too bright. Then, the shutter button got stuck?! I thought, "Oh no, I just spent $ to get it fixed and now I have to do it again?!" I was convinced the camera was shot b/c I WAS NOT going to keep paying to get it refixed. I found my email confirmation and called them. Explained the above to Ryan - owner of CamerasAndParts.com (happened to get him on the phone). THIS GUY was incredibly helpful. thumb.gif I told him the lens was working fine but there were new problems now. He promptly talked me through fixing the problem. He said that they like to do all they can over the phone first. NO PROBLEM! wings.gif He helped me reset the entire camera functions which were causing the "too bright" skin tones. My shutter is working again (and he said that if it acts up again to just give a call. It's under warranty) My camera is working!! I am so thrilled! Then he asked if I knew about my 90 day warranty on the work done .... or future work needed within the 90 days. More bonus points!! Then he said that I can have that extended to a full year warranty if I write up a comment about their service. One year warranty on "anything" that may occur or reoccur with my camera. OK people, I don't ever remember having such a positive experience with a company in my life! I had to write a little blurb.
  • Options
    MelodinaMelodina Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Thank you for allowing us to recently Service / Repair your Canon Powershot S5IS Digital Camera. This email is confirmation that your Canon is now covered through us in the event of a failure. Details of Coverage are as follows:

CAP Coverage:#Y2619F00
    Covered Product: Powershot S5IS
    Product Identifier: INT799994
    Coverage in Effect: 04/09/2011
    Coverage Expiration: 04/09/2012
    Deductable per Claim: $0.00
    Cost for Coverage Plan: $0.00

What is Covered
    Cameras And Parts guarantees the product in which we just Serviced / Repaired for you for the the period specified above. We will cover any failure of the product with the exclusion of the following: Normal Wear / Tear, Neglect, Physical Damage, Liquid Damage, Sand Damage as well as a Physically Broken Lens Assembly and / or a Cracked LCD Display. If we determine the failure was a result any of those factors, a claim for repair would be denied. We will not cover the cost of shipping the item in, however, we will in fact cover the return shipping for the product. Furthermore, it is to be known that the extent of this plan is solely for the covered product only, we will not cover any damages arising as a result of a product failure, other than repairing the product itself. If there is ever a discrepency with regards to what is covered and what is not, the original manufacturer's product warranty terms will be followed and the same coverages will apply through us. This coverage is cancellable within seven (7) business days from the date the coverage begins assuming no claim(s) have been made under this plan. A request for cancellation must be made in writing. Upon cancellation of this plan, the coverage would become null and void and a full refund of the purchase price of this coverage plan would be issued. If no cancellation is made during the seven (7) day period, the coverage shall remain in effect during the dates specified in the plan.

Claim for Repair
    If you feel you have a claim covered under this plan, please contact us by email at: customerservice@camerasandparts.com or you may send the camera in with tracking to:

Cameras And Parts
    1605 George Dieter, Suite 574
    El Paso, Texas 79936

If you have any questions at all, do not even hesitate to email. We look forward to serving you again!
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Melodina wrote: »
    Thank you for allowing us to recently Service / Repair your Canon Powershot S5IS Digital Camera. This email is confirmation that your Canon is now covered through us in the event of a failure. Details of Coverage are as follows:

CAP Coverage:#Y2619F00
    Covered Product: Powershot S5IS
    Product Identifier: INT799994
    Coverage in Effect: 04/09/2011
    Coverage Expiration: 04/09/2012
    Deductable per Claim: $0.00
    Cost for Coverage Plan: $0.00

What is Covered
    Cameras And Parts guarantees the product in which we just Serviced / Repaired for you for the the period specified above. We will cover any failure of the product with the exclusion of the following: Normal Wear / Tear, Neglect, Physical Damage, Liquid Damage, Sand Damage as well as a Physically Broken Lens Assembly and / or a Cracked LCD Display. If we determine the failure was a result any of those factors, a claim for repair would be denied. We will not cover the cost of shipping the item in, however, we will in fact cover the return shipping for the product. Furthermore, it is to be known that the extent of this plan is solely for the covered product only, we will not cover any damages arising as a result of a product failure, other than repairing the product itself. If there is ever a discrepency with regards to what is covered and what is not, the original manufacturer's product warranty terms will be followed and the same coverages will apply through us. This coverage is cancellable within seven (7) business days from the date the coverage begins assuming no claim(s) have been made under this plan. A request for cancellation must be made in writing. Upon cancellation of this plan, the coverage would become null and void and a full refund of the purchase price of this coverage plan would be issued. If no cancellation is made during the seven (7) day period, the coverage shall remain in effect during the dates specified in the plan.

Claim for Repair
    If you feel you have a claim covered under this plan, please contact us by email at: customerservice@camerasandparts.com or you may send the camera in with tracking to:

Cameras And Parts
    1605 George Dieter, Suite 574
    El Paso, Texas 79936

If you have any questions at all, do not even hesitate to email. We look forward to serving you again!

Considering how old the S5 is I'm not sure it would worth repairing!