Options

A little whitewater...

AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited April 29, 2011 in Sports
I recently took a trip I had been planning for almost 30 years. That may sound like an exaggeration, but is not. The permit process and access to the Colo. river through the Grand Canyon is/was arduous... Anyway, the point was that although I planned for a long time and I have a respectable amount of experience in shooting whitewater, I soon realized that photographing a trip of that magnitude, 25 days on the river, was much much different than anything I had experienced.

When I shoot on my day trips, I have my own boat, I can run rapids first or last or move from one side of the river to the other, climb for perspective, ... and I can get many chances at each location. But, when you're rowing a raft with a gross weight of 2200lbs and you're making time and you're just a member of the group -- a member that is slowing things down... all that cuts into a lot of creative and downright basic photography rules.

This photo is one that a lot of my paddling friends like. I hope you do too.

Granite Rapid, Colorado River, Grand Canyon National Park

image-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    love the action of it.

I'd like to see the exposure a bit brighter though - more 'white' water and less 'grey' water.
    And, if this isn't the original framing I'd be curious what was cropped out - the subject is dead center in the frame which works only if what was cropped out is boring. Otherwise it might be a bit more compelling shifted one way or the other depending on whether you want to emphasize what he's leaving behind or what is in front of him. Still, a very interesting photo as it is. I just think a few minor edits could make it even better.