Options

#75 Safe... or out? C&C?

bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited May 1, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's a different idea I was thinking about.

This one leaves a lot to be desired technically, which I chalk up to a lack of really expensive glass, plus being at the ballpark with 5 kids, allowing me to dodge all of the blame myself.

I might put a little processing on it tomorrow to make it dreamier, if I can figure that out.

20d_20110430_5321_v1-L.jpg

Do you like it better than In the Beginning?
The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 1, 2011
    I really liked your first idea ("In the beginning...") but would have liked to see more light and focus on the actual words. Just my 2 cents, but I thought you were onto something there.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Thanks, Gretchen.

I'm likely going to stick with In the Beginning. The version I like best (with the Big Bang stuff in it) doesn't qualify, so I'll have to enter one of the others.

Hopefully I'll have some time tonight to work the processing a bit more.

Thanks again!
    -Brian
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    You received some detailed feedback from several people on your original photos in regard to the lighting and composition. Thinking of this, you may find it easier to reshoot than work more on the processing, but that is up to you. If I were to enter something like this, I would try to make sure that the lighting and focus emphasize the first verse of this chapter rather than other parts of the text. In #1, your focus seems to be just above and to the left of the pertinent text.

As an aside, I tried photographing text in a book for a project at work, bouncing the light from an external flash and it was definitely a challenge for a someone who doesn't use flash all that often. Window light or shooting outside might make it easier for you.

Good luck with whatever route you take!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    You received some detailed feedback from several people on your original photos in regard to the lighting and composition.

I certainly did, and I'm very appreciative. I hope that my disagreeing with some of that feedback is not taken as disrespect or as not valuing it -- quite the contrary! It gave me a lot to think about, and to weigh some of the things posted here against what I heard from others elsewhere, and against what I thought myself. I think that is a valuable tension, and it's certainly where I learn the most.

In my view, all this stuff goes into the hopper, and gets mixed together hopefully to make us all better photographers. And sometimes, even if it doesn't come out in one shot, it influences and comes out in later shots.

So, I'm grateful to everyone for their comments, and especially to you Gretchen for the time you've spent thinking about my stuff!

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Brian, happy to give you some input as so many have done for me. I see that you have uploaded an entry now. Must feel good to have that decision behind you!

Gretchen