Options

How do you package your work?

IzpipoIzpipo Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited May 9, 2011 in Weddings
I'm finding out more and more that the photograph's job needs to be about more than just pictures... Client experience seem to be what is drawing customers as more and more photogs are offering similar work.

Is there something more dull than receiving a DVD jewel case with a DVD in it written: Julia's wedding on?

In such, approximately a year ago, I decided to personalize the DVD's with a picture of the client's wedding

Problem is, I want to push it one step further & am not sure what the best option is... Any of you package your work in a cool, fun, interesting way before giving it to the client?

Also do you know any good resources on the web that I can peek at? order from?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Have you seen the stuff available through Bay Photo? You can make custom photo-wrapped CD/DVD cases. They also have boutique packaging available. WHCC is also a great resource for this kind of packaging.
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    I've actually found that using lightscribe discs, while annoying, gives the clients something that they LOVE.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    We use the CD Folio from Renaissance
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    I use the magnetic CD case from WHCC and then get a matching image printed onto the DVD locally. I've had great luck with them. The texture of the case is smooth and soft and people always seem impressed by it. I wrap the case in twine, tie a little bow, and put a little letterpress thank you card under the bow. I would like to find a nice recycled content box to put that whole package into and then get stickers made with my logo to put on the outside of the box.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Light_prod wrote: »

How many GBs are the sticks and what do they cost you (if you don't mind me asking)? I've often thought of switching from DVDs to USB, but they haven't been cost effective for me and I like the relative permanence for a DVD over a stick that can be wiped.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    Light_prod wrote: »
    Those do look great but would you not be worried about a client accidentally deleting photos from it?
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    Light_prodLight_prod Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    Those do look great but would you not be worried about a client accidentally deleting photos from it?

I currently get the 8 gig sticks as they are equal to 2 dvd's which is what I was previously giving clients. They come in 2g, 4g, 8, or 16g.

prices vary from company to company, you'll need to look around as it depends on what your after. There are plenty of places on the web that will send you their price lists.

You have to buy in bulk but I see that as a great investment as I don't have to spend half a day designing the print on the dvd's and burning them. and then if it doesn't print well I have to do the thing all over again.

As far as files being deleted, I'm currently looking into ways of locking the files. It can be done, prob by means of creating a disk images and reformatting the usb to it. Am yet to test this out though.

Either way I encourage my clients to make backups as I did with the DVD's. DVD's don't last forever, nothing does these days and my contracts state that they are responsible for looking after the files once they have been handed over to them.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    I've actually found that using lightscribe discs, while annoying, gives the clients something that they LOVE.

I loved burning Lightscribe disks when I still had an HP computer for my clients. But alas I've had to go back to old-fashioned hand written descriptions on the DVD's since switching to mac :(
  • Options
    lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    A quick googling makes it seem as though you can use lightscribe with your mac, though you'd need an external drive that works with lightscribe (since really the only mac you can install a new internal burner into is the Mac Pro).
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    I loved burning Lightscribe disks when I still had an HP computer for my clients. But alas I've had to go back to old-fashioned hand written descriptions on the DVD's since switching to mac :(

I just switched to mac... and upgraded my printer to the newer Epson Artisan 835... It prints on the disc and looks fabulous. I do full custom designed cases that cost me next to nothing, and my clients are always EXTREMELY happy. And then there is the bonus that I can make them in about 1/2 hour instead of uploading a design file and waiting for them to be printed somewhere off site and waiting for UPS to finally decide to get it to Alaska. By the time it finally got delivered and to the client I could have had the check in the bank and a new lens ordered, haha!mwink.gif

These are some I printed on my old printer the Epson RX700.... But the new ones are pretty much the same...

1092394721_HjyVU-XL.jpg
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I recently sent one of these to the bride and groom and they loved it.

1242205231_8Zdv5-O.jpg
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    That's beautiful, Kris. Where did you order that from?
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    met wrote: »
    That's beautiful, Kris. Where did you order that from?
    Thank you! I love them, and they are super helpful with my order process. Here's their link.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    I just switched to mac... and upgraded my printer to the newer Epson Artisan 835... It prints on the disc and looks fabulous.
    I was looking at printers to print directly on discs as well. I was looking at this one and thought if anyone is interested in it - Best Buy has it for $170 this week ($130 off). I think I'm going to be taking advantage of that because I need a printer anyway and this just happens to work out perfectly.
  • Options
    castnerrmcastnerrm Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    met wrote: »
    I was looking at printers to print directly on discs as well. I was looking at this one and thought if anyone is interested in it - Best Buy has it for $170 this week ($130 off). I think I'm going to be taking advantage of that because I need a printer anyway and this just happens to work out perfectly.

I got the Artisan 725 since I didn't need a FAX. Picked it up on sale at OfficeMax for $129. Great printer and much faster than my old HP all-in-one. I have a MacBook Pro that I do all of my photo work on and after some research I decided on DiscLabel(from Smile Software http://smilesoftware.com/DiscLabel/index.html) for CD and DVD printing.
  • Options
    PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2011

1092394721_HjyVU-XL.jpg

Did you design your own template to do this or did you buy a template somewhere? These look amazing!!! clap.gif