RustyJBRustyJB Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited May 7, 2011 in Wildlife
see Great Blue Heron: RAPTOR and also Catch of the day at Brazos Bend

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2011
    RustyJB wrote: »
    sorry, guess i will have to try again, used url from my new smugmug site, but no imagene_nau.gif

Check your gallery settings in Smugmug. Under Security & Privacy External Links should be set to yes.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2011
    Rusty, don't give up. If you need to, go to the smugmug help section--their support staff will get back to you within a couple of hours usually--they are terrific. And we want to see your photos! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    Great Blue Heron catch of the day at Brazos Bend,great%20blue%20heron%20catchoftheday00129-L.jpg
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    Wow, Rusty! I sure am glad you figured out how to post, because this is a great image! What a site to see! Did you see the GBH actually swallow the fish? Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2011
    PGM wrote: »
    Wow, Rusty! I sure am glad you figured out how to post, because this is a great image! What a site to see! Did you see the GBH actually swallow the fish? Best, Pam

Thanks Pam! actually he walked off up a creek branch that flowed into this part of the bayou so i was unable to follow, there were 3 gators watching him, some other ducks, and me hoping for an easy lunch, so i think he wanted a little more private dinning
  • Options
    ScottWScottW Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Great shot. I am amazed at the the size of fish they can catch!
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Great stuff. How much did this shot get cropped? I'm struggling with trying to get this amount of detail.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2011
    Good catch Rusty and Raptor wings.gif
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Good catch Rusty and Raptor wings.gif

Thanks
    i laid back on the bank for almost 3.5 hours watching & shooting this bird, a gator actually came swimming straight at me after it watched me for awhile, must have wondered if i was a free lunch for the day, i moved when he got within about 10-15 feet in front of me
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    Great stuff. How much did this shot get cropped? I'm struggling with trying to get this amount of detail.

this is about 25-30 % of the original image (rough estimate)
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    ScottW wrote: »
    Great shot. I am amazed at the the size of fish they can catch!

did you see Harryb's shot of the eel like creature that won out over the Great Blue? amazing sequence of shots
  • Options
    korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    great moment

kind regards,
    Korandoke
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Dang, that is a lethal bill!! Arresting capture.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    biggrinbounce2.gifjawdropbiggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    MikeAldrichMikeAldrich Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Awesome capture Rusty! It's takes quite a lot of patience to sit there so long for the shot, but it definitely paid off for ya, well done.
    “The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

http://www.shuttershockphotobooth.com/
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    korandoke wrote: »
    great moment

kind regards,
    Korandoke

right place at the right time
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Dang, that is a lethal bill!! Arresting capture.

thanks, not as good a photo but heres closer to the actual catch..greatblueheroncatch_001157-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    Awesome capture Rusty! It's takes quite a lot of patience to sit there so long for the shot, but it definitely paid off for ya, well done.

Thank you.
    you read stories about these National Geographic Photographers who hiked weeks to get to some remote spot where they laid for days in the same spot to get THAT ONE SPECIAL SET OF IMAGES, caught some rare disease, or parasite

figured at my age laying back on a bayou bank with a canteen, some snacks and my camera would do for nowrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Great shots, Rusty. This series is aptly titled, I must say. That great blue heron is indeed a raptor. He's really brave to step in gators' territory just to get his meal. And by the way, I truly admire your patience. Though your waiting time is not as close as the ones experienced by those National Geographic photographers, 3.5 hours is still long, and that waiting time actually paid off. Kudos to you!
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    great shots Rusty...great detail and nicely exposed
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2011
    johnbriner wrote: »
    Great shots, Rusty. This series is aptly titled, I must say. That great blue heron is indeed a raptor. He's really brave to step in gators' territory just to get his meal. And by the way, I truly admire your patience. Though your waiting time is not as close as the ones experienced by those National Geographic photographers, 3.5 hours is still long, and that waiting time actually paid off. Kudos to you!

Thank you