Portraits, formal/informal

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 16, 2004 in Holy Macro
I take pictures for our church baptisms, I mention that kind of often. I spend hours on some, very little time on others. I did a special one this weekend.
A man with his child. I have never done one without both parents before. Usually they are dressed to the nines. I didn't notice at the time I took the picture that the man was not wearing a suit. The situation was obviously unusual from the Priest's interest in the photograph to the actions of people around. I was so nervous I forgot to take a picture of the child alone. The church doesn't use those, so it was not important.
I am told where the people are to stand. The Monsignor "allows" me to open the doors to get some natural light in, and to stop the stained glass from throwing a blue cast. The other Priest and Deacon are too concerned about the air conditioning, so the doors stay closed for the most part. I shoot with the kit lens and a dRebel camera. I use the on camera flash. I have a Sunpak, have never used it, don't much like flash. I usually shoot with the setting on portrait, but I was nervous here and I left the setting on the standard green thing, if anyone knows what I mean. I spent all Sunday afternoon and all day Monday working on this portrait. I am finished, and I want to share it with you. Lynn, I did think black and white. I also cleaned up the swollen red eyes, with extreme dark circles. I just want to share. This is the result of a tragedy. I think the mother died in childbirth. I really wanted to make this good for this man, as did the Priest. The Priest must have been nervous, too, he forgot to light the candle.

5165668-L.jpg

When I started, I couldn't see that he has blue eyes too. I think that is a beautiful baby. I never touched the baby. I will also show you all a black and white. I would have to redo all the black and whites as they are printing a bit dark. This one printed fine in my HP printer.

5119855-M.jpg

g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Hi Ginger,
    Personally I feel that no matter what technical issues are there or aren't this family would be happy to have a print of this special moment. Next time, just take a deep breath and relax. You are doing fine! Oh, and the baby is beautiful by the way.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Questions re selling, other photographers, etc....
    Wolf wrote:
    Hi Ginger,
    Personally I feel that no matter what technical issues are there or aren't this family would be happy to have a print of this special moment. Next time, just take a deep breath and relax. You are doing fine! Oh, and the baby is beautiful by the way.

In this case, there were no other family members and no other photographers.
    But often, all the time, actually, there are many people carrying cameras, usually digital. Many as good as, if not better than mine. That frustrates me. I never sell anything anyway, but it frustrates me. How do you all handle that?
    I imagine that these people think their relatives' photos are as good as mine, and for all I know they might be, and could be better. Some of what I am learning here is coming in handy. Having the Scott Kelby book helped with the eyes.

But I suppose I think right off, why would anyone think they would need one of my pictures when so many people are photographing the same event. I do this, the church, it doesn't pay me, so it uses cheap paper to print the pictures, puts them up on the wall as get acquainted with the people shots. I have offered many times to print the photos (I have better paper, and they know it, but they insisted on reimbursing me when I was using my paper and ink, so I guess this is how they want it) I have ordered business cards to have the church put on the wall with the photos.

On this photo, I would give the man a picture. I have made that known. I have prices up on smugmug, but I have told the person in charge, at the church, that if anyone has trouble paying to have them see me. I know what "no money" feels like. But this is an island neighborhood and a parish full of very well off people, so I want to be fair either way.

Since my cropping is tight, I am very concerned as to how to let my "potential" customers know that anything they order is going to be chopped off at the top and the bottom. I didn't offer many sizes until last night. I put prices on everything. But, I am not even sure what size will work...... I am confused I guess.

How do you all handle the "other photographers all over the place" situation? And how do you all handle the idea that people have that they shouldn't have to pay, as the church isn't? This is my only contribution to the church. We give them no money.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.