Options

Exposure issues in Muir Woods

pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited May 4, 2011 in Technique
I spent the day with my family in Muir Woods. I got to spend some time taking pictures along our hike.

I had a lot of problems getting the the exposure correct. There trees are dark and the canopy blocks a lot of light, but bright rays come through. I end up with either trees that are correctly exposed, but rays of light that are washed out or rays of light that are good, but really dark trees.

Any thoughts or suggestion on how to handle this environment?

I'll upload some pics when I get to good WiFi.

Thanks,
Pete

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    I spent the day with my family in Muir Woods. I got to spend some time taking pictures along our hike.

I had a lot of problems getting the the exposure correct. There trees are dark and the canopy blocks a lot of light, but bright rays come through. I end up with either trees that are correctly exposed, but rays of light that are washed out or rays of light that are good, but really dark trees.

Any thoughts or suggestion on how to handle this environment?

I'll upload some pics when I get to good WiFi.

Thanks,
    Pete
    It's a tough case. Shoot RAW. User a tripod and bracket. Be ready to spent some time in PS afterwards. There is no silver bullet.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2011
    as Nikolai said....and shoot and make hdr's.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 1, 2011
    Shooting in deep woods on sunny days, one is going to be confronted with very deep shadow and very bright spots of sunlit areas. This light range is usually beyond the contrast range ability of the sensor.
    Like Nikolai and Art said, there is no free lunch here. One cannot use neutral density filters, like are used along a bright horizon and sky, because the separation of light an dark areas have no smooth boundaries.

Shooting HDR, or multi- frame exposures and blending in Photoshop are alternatives to single well managed exposures.

I find HDR very helpful in these situations.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

I did shoot in raw, and on a tripod, but didn't bracket exposure too often. I guess I to learn photoshop a bit better.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

I did shoot in raw, and on a tripod, but didn't bracket exposure too often. I guess I to learn photoshop a bit better.

Download a trial of Photomatix Pro and drag&drop a raw capture onto it's icon. This allows you to work with the single capture and is much easier to get results than with Photoshop. The photo below was shot bracketed but also into the sun so normally a silhouette.

1227758149_3a26L-L.jpg

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Muir woods is a difficult place to shoot; I have gone there several times and often come home with nothing of value.

You need to avoid any direct sun. The best time to shoot in the morning. HDR helps but even the slightest breeze will mean your exposures won't blend nicely. The breeze usually kicks up in the afternoon but if you are lucky the early morning can be pretty still.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 4, 2011
    Shoot on an over cast day, or even better, on foggy days.

Nothing like fog to caress an image. Or rain.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Shoot on an over cast day, or even better, on foggy days.

Nothing like fog to caress an image. Or rain.

+1 totally; Besides, over there a fog is more like a rule than an exception, which makes it rather easy ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"