Options

Portland - early May!

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
I'm extending a little trip (semi work related) in Portland, OR so I have a few free days. I'm ALL for exploring - indoors, outdoors, food, whatever. However, I know there's a lot in the area and while I'm willing to drive a bit I do not know where to even start looking.

Any favorite spots (photography a huge plus, but I'll never say no to 'adventure' either) that you'd suggest someone hit up who has never been there before? Mind you, I'm totally happy to get up before dawn and stay out late! Vacation does not equal 'rest' for me ;)

(and anything from cool areas to street shoot, landscapes, fun drives, etc!)
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Which Portland - east coast or west coast?
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2011
    knapph wrote: »
    Which Portland - east coast or west coast?

heh, good point. THE Portland, OR :P Portland Maine is nice but so teeny.
    //Leah
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    The coast is about an hour and half drive from Portland and can be nice depending on weather. It rains a lot here. Even in May so be ready for that. I like Hug Point State Park (south of Cannon Beach) and Shorts Sands at Oswald West (north of Manzanita) is awesome too but requires a short hike to get there.

Check out the book, "Photographing the Oregon Coast" if you're really interested in cool coastal locations. It's around $11 on amazon.

If you're into food, you're in luck. There are food carts galore in town which could also make for cool street photography. They're clustered in different areas including on SE Hawthorne and 12th (open late into the night). More info here

The Columbia Gorge is awesome too. Tons of locations to shoot there (again, it may be rainy) and that's about a 30 minute drive east of Portland. Multnomah Falls is the obvious spot but there are many waterfalls worth hiking into. A loop trip up the gorge to Hood River and then Hwy 35 over Mt. Hood and back to Portland via Hwy 26 would be a nice all day trip with stops for shooting photos.

Just a couple of ideas. There are great downtown views of the city from the east bank. That's where most of the trailer for "Portlandia" was shot! A slight familiarity with that show (or at least the trailer) will start many conversations for you :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2011
    Great place for a work trip! I'm sure you'll be able to stay busy during any downtime you get.

I've only blown through there very briefly once, but the St. Honoré French boulangerie that a certain mutual French friend recommended was incredibly good.

Yah that is not at all photography-related, but you can't shoot without fuel. :D
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2011
    Steph, folks I'm with are doing organic glottal free these days. Dining ideas? Email me! :)
    //Leah
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Dogwood is a local with great suggestions. I would add the wine country to his thoughts if you would like to shoot and sip. Head south on 99 toward Dundee, and then NW to Yamhill, Carlton and loop back to Hillsboro and back to Portland on 26. Plenty of tasting rooms along the way.

NW Portland is fun for food and street shooting too. 23rd is the focal point, and there were a couple organic/vegetarian restaurants there last time I was "home". Of course, there are lots of excellent brew pubs and nothing is more organic than barley, hops, and water all from within 50 miles of the brewery.

May can be beautiful with mild temps and sun, or rain all day. Take your chances and be ready. Go outside either way, or they'll know you're a tourist. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2011
    thank you! and yes, wine tasting has been suggested, since the friend I'm staying with has wine-less friends and is quite sad about it. I'm happy to accompany her :D
    //Leah
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge, Trail of Ten Falls in Silver Falls State Park (mild 8 mile hike covering 10 gorgeous waterfalls), Downtown PDX is awesome for street shots, the Pacific Coast is beautiful in many locations (Seaside, Lincoln City, etc), Mt. Hood is incredible from every angle including Timberline Lodge on the mountain. Truly, there are 1000's and 1000's of photography opportunities in and around Portland. It is a beautiful place.
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Shoot me a message if you'd like directions to any good spots, also contact Dgrinner nw_scout. He's a pro and a good friend of mine from the Portland area who does a lot of location scouting and could probably point you to just about any place you could want to shoot :)
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Nikonic1 wrote: »
    Shoot me a message if you'd like directions to any good spots, also contact Dgrinner nw_scout. He's a pro and a good friend of mine from the Portland area who does a lot of location scouting and could probably point you to just about any place you could want to shoot :)

Thank you so very very much! once I get the days lined up I'll be doing just this.
    //Leah
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    Steph, folks I'm with are doing organic glottal free these days. Dining ideas? Email me! :)

You won't find a shortage of organic food here. There's tons of it. Everywhere. All the time.

In terms of gluten-free food (I assume that's what you meant rolleyes1.gif ), lots of restaurants will post their gluten content on the menu, but here are a few suggestions:

- Old Wives Tales, SE 13th & E Burnside. Delicious and local and they list all of their ingredients and have some great GF choices.

- New Seasons Markets, numerous locations around town. Fantastic, locally- and sustainability-focused supermarket, and they have a nice GF selection of stuff. Sometimes, they have GF dishes in their deli. It's not the cheapest place in town but it's competitive with other organic supermarkets, and hey, you get what you pay for. The owners are really cool, too.

- Corbett Fish House, 5901 SW Corbett Avenue. It's an amazing fish house, they do all kinds of yummy fish without gluten. There's one on SE Hawthorne, too, if you're in SE.

- Sweetpea Bakery, SE 12th & Stark. This is a fantastic all-vegan bakery and they have some good GF options. It's right by my office, we go there all the time, it's awesome, and if you ever thought vegan food was "boring", this place will change your mind. thumb.gif

- Food carts. There are a couple of vegan food carts around town, and as was previously mentioned, you can find info on those on the web. The good one I know of is at SW 4th and Hall, can't think of the name but it's the only vegan one in that pod, and I believe they have some GF stuff.

As far as places to go and shoot, the ones already mentioned are great. If you're looking for a gritty sports opportunity, check out any of the many skateparks around town. If you want gritty urban scenery to go with the skatepark, check out the Burnside Skatepark (under the east end of the Burnside Bridge), which is in the Central Eastside Industrial District (CEID). I love to go shooting in the CEID, mainly in the part west of SE Martin Luther King Boulevard and between the Hawthorne and Burnside Bridges. It's great and lately there have been a spate of new restaurants and cafés opening there, so lots of good eats in the vicinity for when you need a break.

And oh yeah-don't miss the Eastbank Esplanade (easily accessible from the CEID) for great shots of downtown and the West Hills.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2011
    oh goodness yes. Glutton free :P I blame the iphone. the friend I'm staying with has her birthday tomorrow, so I'm hoping to treat her to a glutton free meal somewhere in thanks for letting me crash at her place, plus, yes, birthday :)

Definitely looking into the Columbia River Gorge area, especially as she and I wanted to hit up the wineries too. I'll google the Eastbank Esplande next.

Contacting people, thank you ALL so much!
    //Leah
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Update: New gluten-free cart at the corner of NW 4th & W Burnside, called "GF Chef". It's in an empty lot downtown.

I think there are some wineries near Hood River and maybe on the Washington side of the Gorge, but what most people consider "the wine country" around here is the opposite direction, SW of Portland, in Yamhill County. Just about 20-30 minutes SW of town on Highway 99W.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Good to know! I don't think this friend will be too picky (and we'll want to avoid the Sunday Mother's Day crowds, ugh) about which wineries, but I have a few wiggle days to play around and she has her normal life (well, spring break from law school at Lewis & Clark) to deal with, so I've got down time to fill up.

I'm not really one to sit around and watch the leaves grow on vacation :)

(unless I've a macro set up going on)
    //Leah