Options

D700 Question

AISOSSAISOSS Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited May 5, 2011 in Cameras
Hi All:

I just got in from work, and excitedly unpacked my new D700. I can't shoot with it yet--must wait for the battery to charge, so I slapped a 50mm E series f 1.8 on & looked through the viewfinder.

I am struck that the viewfinder is dimmer and really not much larger than my Pentax K20d--if it is any larger. I thought I was hallucinating, so I put a 35mm f 2.8 lens on the K20d to equalize field of view. Amazingly, the crop sensor is a good deal brighter than the full frame camera. I am, in a big way, disheartened.

My number one reason for moving to FF was the viewfinder. All I've read is how much better FF viewfinders are. I realize the D700 does not have %100 coverage, but neither does my crop sensor K20d. I did install a split prism & 1.3 magifying eyepiece on the K20d, but that itself could not be why the crop sensor has a brighter viewfinder--can it?

When I look through my film camera viewfinders I am happy--I had this expectation for the D700--am I off my rocker to expect a great viewfinder in a FF DSLR? It is a 3 thousand dollar camera--the viewfinder looks like it is out of a $300 camera. Am I missing something obvious (I sure hope so). The split prism I installed was a $23 version shipped out of China--not a Katze Eye.

I would be grateful for any advice or guidance--thanks.

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Nope, you are seeing correct.
    I looked through my friends Nikkormat, there is no contest. :cry And only a little bigger than my D300. However, you can purchase the Nikon DK-17M eye piece, which helps this problem quiet a bit. But it does make a little harder to see the corners.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    insanefred: However, you can purchase the Nikon DK-17M eye piece, which helps this problem quiet a bit. But it does make a little harder to see the corners.

Yes, the 1.3 eyepiece in the K20d makes the corners tough to see too--I do not have a problem with that. But, will the Nikon DK-17m eye piece make the viewfinder any brighter? Doubtful. :(

I have that sinking feeling I used to get as a kid when I realized my expectations were not supported by reality--looks like I'm packing up the D700 and sending it back to the seller tomorrow. Sooooo sad.

I know the Canon 5d Mark II has a larger, brighter viewfinder than the D700, but learning from this experience, I'm sure it too is feeble.

Thanks Fred. :)
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    AISOSS wrote: »
    Yes, the 1.3 eyepiece in the K20d makes the corners tough to see too--I do not have a problem with that. But, will the Nikon DK-17m eye piece make the viewfinder any brighter? Doubtful. :(

I have that sinking feeling I used to get as a kid when I realized my expectations were not supported by reality--looks like I'm packing up the D700 and sending it back to the seller tomorrow. Sooooo sad.

I know the Canon 5d Mark II has a larger, brighter viewfinder than the D700, but learning from this experience, I'm sure it too is feeble.

Thanks Fred. :)

The 5D2 is a tiny bit brighter and bigger than the D700, I assure you. You'll likely be disappointed in that too.
    If it's the bigger bright view finders you are after. Look at the D3 series, on paper, it doesn't say much, but it is a bit better than both the D700 and 5D2.
    Also, before you "pack it up" try a different lenses.
    The DK-17m actually is more transparent than the Nikon's stock eye piece, making it a just a bit brighter (up to about the 5D2 level) . And noticeably bigger.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Soon, young grasshopper, you will see the LIGHT!

*Waits for the OP to put the battery in the D700*

;-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    The 5D2 is a tiny bit brighter and bigger than the D700, I assure you. You'll likely be disappointed in that too.
    If it's the bigger bright view finders you are after. Look at the D3 series, on paper, it doesn't say much, but it is a bit better than both the D700 and 5D2.
    Also, before you "pack it up" try a different lenses.
    The DK-17m actually is more transparent than the Nikon's stock eye piece, making it a just a bit brighter (up to about the 5D2 level) . And noticeably bigger.
    I've had the DK-17M for years, I've been using one since 2004 with the D70, actually. LOVE it. Yes it's a bit tougher to see the corners, but I make up for it by also using a larger eyecup, the asymetrical kind that totally sucks your eye in and gives you a great view.

With the DK-17M, the D700 viewfinder is exactly the same size as, and also about as bright as, my old 1980's Nikon FM2 which has a pretty dang gorgeous viewfinder if I do say so myself...

I've shot plenty with the 5D mk2 as well, professionally and for leisure, and I honestly can't say I notice a difference in the brightness or anything else. I find FAR much more benefit from all the control layout and customization that the D700 offers...

=Matt=
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Soon, young grasshopper, you will see the LIGHT!

*Waits for the OP to put the battery in the D700*

;-)
    thumb.gif I've been using the the D700 for 4 months now and it is amazing. Compared to the D70s (my prev. camera) the viewfinder is soo much better mwink.gif
    Just wait and see what you can do in for example low light conditions...
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    looks like I'm packing up the D700 and sending it back to the seller tomorrow.

That would be a HUGE mistake!!!! You have an amazing camera and you will soon see how good it really is.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    So you bought the d700 because of the viewfinder and you are ready to return it before you even have put a battery in it...is that really what you just said.
    Still waiting for the OP to reply after my subtle hint that DSLR's require a battery for optimal viewfinder brightness. ;-)

...And I'm VERY surprised that nobody else has even mentioned this yet! Come on, geeks!

=Matt=
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    I wonder if it's back to the seller already... maybe he didn't check this thread ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Did you try it with the battery in? It gets much brighter with a battery inside.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Surely the battery is charged and he's outta here..... shooting pictures. He'll be back praising the camera and it's viewfinder glory.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 4, 2011
    Alright folks, no more making fun of people. We're here to help.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    I've had the DK-17M for years, I've been using one since 2004 with the D70, actually. LOVE it. Yes it's a bit tougher to see the corners, but I make up for it by also using a larger eyecup, the asymetrical kind that totally sucks your eye in and gives you a great view.

With the DK-17M, the D700 viewfinder is exactly the same size as, and also about as bright as, my old 1980's Nikon FM2 which has a pretty dang gorgeous viewfinder if I do say so myself...

I've shot plenty with the 5D mk2 as well, professionally and for leisure, and I honestly can't say I notice a difference in the brightness or anything else. I find FAR much more benefit from all the control layout and customization that the D700 offers...

=Matt=

Firstly, thank you for reaching out to help... I am grateful! clap.gif

Let me paint a backdrop to the events leading up to last night's post. I have been shooting crop sensor for a few years, and loving every bit of it. In those few years, I have a few thousand posts at a forum known for the civility of its people. In this time my passion for photography has grown to true love. I only shoot for the chance to fulfill an inner need which photography alone fulfills; I have no interest in exploiting that love in the name of money.

Because of this, even though my heart pounded when the D700 came into being, I knew it would be a long time before I could afford to purchase it. I have other hobbies which draw from my spending funds. The last couple of months have been a time of advertising and selling a lot of Pentax gear, to help me get closer to a purchase of a FFer. It took planning, because I wanted something to shoot with as I sold off my lenses & gear, some of which were dear to me. More recently, as I got closer to a decision on C vs N for FF, the available lenses and their performance on FF bodies demanded a lot of reading.

Anyway, a ton of thought and work went into the d700 which UPS delivered yesterday for me. The anticipation was great. I expected to put that Nikon up to my shooting eye and see paradise, the view for which I had been waiting years now. When I saw otherwise, my heart sunk.

Your effort to provide help is precisely what I hoped to get when I posted here. However, I was exhausted last night and, after spending 3 thousand dollars on a camera, the thought of having to spend more to get the viewfinder up to par was less than satisfying. I truly thought I was going to have a viewfinder like my film cameras provide.......now I understand, it just aint so.

Mod edit
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Svennie wrote: »
    thumb.gif I've been using the the D700 for 4 months now and it is amazing. Compared to the D70s (my prev. camera) the viewfinder is soo much better mwink.gif
    Just wait and see what you can do in for example low light conditions...

Trust me, I know what the camera can do--It needs no sales pitch. It is a great camera. :) Yes, I know the d700 is a huge leap in viewfinder over the D70, which is a large part of the reason why I chose the K20d over the D70. Also, I had a lot of old, pristine MF Pentax glass gifted to me by close family member. That is what took me to a 1.3 eyepiece and a split prism--I love to focus manually, as do a lot of Pentaxians.

Unfortunately, the D700 viewfinder is not a large leap over the K20d.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    That would be a HUGE mistake!!!! You have an amazing camera and you will soon see how good it really is.

I know how good it is--honestly I do. However, great shooting is about basics, which is why 50 year old pics can be just as amazing as our most modern pics. Compostion & subject are vital to a great pic, and the best tool towards this end is the VIEWFI?NDER. not 21.1 Mega Pixels, not ISO 25,600, not HD video, not 10 frames per second.

Gear heads get all wrapped up in numbers, forgetting the obvious, simple things--like, it is still the shooter who makes the shot. A great example of this misguided thinking is in the silly thread now showing @ this forum where a nonsense babble revolves around which camera is better: D7000 or 60d. Completely out of the junior high school days of our youths.

My thinking is in line with yours: we are agreed, it is an amazing camera, and it deserves a viewfinder equally amazing. Anyone who reads my post can clearly see I am not attacking anything except the viewfinder. I am being honest--I expected more. Reality has set in, I understand my expectations were too high.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Did you try it with the battery in? It gets much brighter with a battery inside.

My d700's viewfinder gets no brighter with the battery in and camera on. But I left this possibility open in the OP by clearly stating I was waiting for the battery to charge. The viewfinder in my K20d gets no brighter or dimmer with the camera turned on or off either.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    ... Here is what you originally wrote in reponse to my OP:

mod edit

You realized what I said there wasn't pointed to you. IF, keyword "IF", you are indeed judging the camera's view finder with out the battery. Then I wouldn't be able to resist to chuckle a little. The view finder gets really dark and useless with out a battery.
    You never indicated that you charged the battery...

I just got in from work, and excitedly unpacked my new D700. I can't shoot with it yet--must wait for the battery to charge, so I slapped a 50mm E series f 1.8 on & looked through the viewfinder.

... And actually installed the battery at all, so that leads us to believe that you are making the assumptions that the viewfinder sucks.

My d700's viewfinder gets no brighter with the battery in and camera on. But I left this possibility open in the OP by clearly stating I was waiting for the battery to charge. The viewfinder in my K20d gets no brighter or dimmer with the camera turned on or off either.

Then either Nikon decided to make some changes that we don't know about, or something is defective.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    I wonder if it's back to the seller already... maybe he didn't check this thread ne_nau.gif

I didn't have time to and return to the seller, but I did get a RA today. It has been a miserable day for me--returning this camera would be returning a dream.

Matt's idea is possible, though I wonder if it will provide the complete solution for me.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    insanefred: Also, before you "pack it up" try a different lenses.

Yes, this thought came to mind, except I only have 1 Nikon lens in my possession, the one described above. I recently bought Nikon lenses from Keh, and Ebay, but they are in transit. I have a lot riding on this deal--money and hard work. I did not come to this forum to insult anyone or any camera. I came here to start a new camera life, in Nikon. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem--it seemed wise to post the problem, to be honest--to seek help from those experienced in Nikon.

Outside of a few genuine displays of compassion, most of what I got was mocking, sneering and a call to war. This is 2011--these are cameras, not religious ideas. No wonder we still keep killing each other all over the planet.

Whatever I decide to do, it is doubtful I'll be sharing anymore of it here.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Double check this for me? I'm absolutely certain that all my Nikon DSLR's have a HUGE difference in the viewfinder when you pull the battery out. I just grabbed my D700 and D300 to confirm this. Just look through the viewfinder while inserting the battery, and see if it gets WAY brighter...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Firstly, thank you for reaching out to help... I am grateful! clap.gif

Let me paint a backdrop to the events leading up to last night's post. I have been shooting crop sensor for a few years, and loving every bit of it. In those few years, I have a few thousand posts at a forum known for the civility of its people. In this time my passion for photography has grown to true love. I only shoot for the chance to fulfill an inner need which photography alone fulfills; I have no interest in exploiting that love in the name of money.

Because of this, even though my heart pounded when the D700 came into being, I knew it would be a long time before I could afford to purchase it. I have other hobbies which draw from my spending funds. The last couple of months have been a time of advertising and selling a lot of Pentax gear, to help me get closer to a purchase of a FFer. It took planning, because I wanted something to shoot with as I sold off my lenses & gear, some of which were dear to me. More recently, as I got closer to a decision on C vs N for FF, the available lenses and their performance on FF bodies demanded a lot of reading.

Anyway, a ton of thought and work went into the d700 which UPS delivered yesterday for me. The anticipation was great. I expected to put that Nikon up to my shooting eye and see paradise, the view for which I had been waiting years now. When I saw otherwise, my heart sunk.

Your effort to provide help is precisely what I hoped to get when I posted here. However, I was exhausted last night and, after spending 3 thousand dollars on a camera, the thought of having to spend more to get the viewfinder up to par was less than satisfying. I truly thought I was going to have a viewfinder like my film cameras provide.......now I understand, it just aint so.

mod edit

Again, as in my other recent reply, I'm looking through my D700 viewfinder and my FM2 viewfinder, and with the DK-17M on the D700 they are so nearly identical in size and brightness, I can't see a difference.

At the very least, I can promise you that the 5D mk2 is not noticeably better, and the controls / customization are definitely inferior, at least to me PERSONALLY.

I can highly recommend getting yourself a DK-17M, a full eyecup, and a few good f/1.4 primes or at least f/2.8 zooms. You'll have all the brightness and low-light accuracy you could desire!

=Matt=
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, the D700 viewfinder is not a large leap over the K20d.

If you have so much riding on this camera, why did you not try it out? Grab one from a friend, rent it or go to your local shop. I did the latter: held it, loved it, bought it on the spot.
    I also took out the battery off my camera and the viewfinder looks like shit (dark and grainy). Difference of night and day with the battery in (even with the camera switched off).
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    Any more personal attacks will be deleted. Any off-topic discussion will likewise be deleted.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2011
    I have deleted the posts that I feel were not helpful or against our policy.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    I understand that disappointment. I would really look forward to a D700 if I were getting one, coming from a K20D.

There's another possibility: check the aperture ring on the lens. Is it at f/1.8? If not, that may be why. I know with Canon EF, since there is no aperture ring on EF lenses, that the camera has the aperture wide open until you press the shutter button, then it stops down to whatever you have set. Is it this way with Nikon? Since the F mount lenses have an aperture ring (don't they?), it's possible that you've got it at a small f-stop that doesn't let much light in.

FWIW, on my 1DII the viewfinder doesn't change brightness with or without a battery. I just checked.

If the battery doesn't help and it's not the aperture ring, then (someone else may have said this) the original D3 is "only" $1000 more than the D700 right now, maybe less used. It's a really nice camera; however I don't know how much different the viewfinder is on the D3.

I don't think the 100% vs 95/98 really matters with regards to brightness; it just means that more of the edges of the photograph show up in the viewfinder.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2011
    I've no experience with any of the gear under discussion - nearest being a quick try with a (used) 5D1 when I was using a 20D - difference was considerable :)

However ...

<< I don't think the 100% vs 95/98 really matters with regards to brightness >>

If the 95% relates to linear % rather than area, then this ends up being a 10% area difference - and presumably -a larger mirror / more light transmitted?

pp