Options

My Supercross experience

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited May 8, 2011 in Sports
What else can I say, I shot Supercross in Salt Lake last weekend for the Rockwell team. It was a pretty awesome experience to get to be on the track. But at the same time it was really tough. There were a lot of rules. The stadium is really small and there is not a lot of room for you. Basically it was the center of the track or the stands. My main focus of the day was getting photos of sponsor stuff in the pit area and doing some after party shots that night.

I am still going through photos. So I will post up some stuff as I get through it. Here are a few that stuck out so far.

#1 This is one of my favorites. I am not much of a panning guy, but I went for this one during qualifiers.
rockwellsx-849-XL.jpg

#2 The pass of the night and what probably sealed the deal for Villopoto winning the series.
rockwellsx-2407-XL.jpg

#3 Where I almost was run over
rockwellsx-2279-L.jpg

rockwellsx-2280-L.jpg

rockwellsx-2281-L.jpg

#4 Reed doing his thing. Roosting the hell out of some tough blocks.
rockwellsx-2351-XL.jpg

Some of the many hot chicks.:thumbsup:
rockwellsx-1038-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Wow excellent shots. Very crisp on all. I too love the panning shot of Stewart. Also, in the last one you have filled the frame very nicely.

Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    Thanks Gringriff. I suck at panning, but I got a few that worked really well, but my keeper rate was bad on the ones I tried.

Here is another.

#6 A sea of green. Leading the charge is a Salt Lake rider Grey Davenport. Gotta get some of his pics to his shop.
    rockwellsx-1387-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 4, 2011
    Cool stuff! I'll have to look for you getting run over (recorded but not watched--we'll do that Saturday at the Vegas party I'm having).

Your panning shot turned out well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Do you have a macro of the center blonde? That push up bra is going to give her a speech impediment... :D

Nice shots. Were you using a prime?
    Rags
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    torags wrote: »
    Do you have a macro of the center blonde? That push up bra is going to give her a speech impediment... :D

Nice shots. Were you using a prime?

I shot the chicks with my 80-200 AFS 2.8 at f5.6? All the racing shots were with that same lens to. Anywhere from f2.8-f4.
    I used my 24-70 for pit action. And I had my 10.5 fisheye on my 300s. Got a few shots that could have been great shots for different reasons. I don't think I have ever seen fisheye shots of supercross. I will post some up after I get them loaded.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2011
    #7 Here is one of the cool fisheye action shots. The thing that would have been better about this is if it were packed with guys. Or in the background guys in the air on that jump. This was during qualifiers. So guys were pretty spaced out. I was not allowed in this position again. This is one of my "illegal" zones.
    rockwell-sx-fishy-036-XL.jpg

Some fisheye Monster babes. This one kills me because it is almost awesome. I underexposed a little bit with the 300s at 3200ISO. Bam noise like a mofo. So it is a bit soft. Might need to try this one in noise ninja to see if I can tone it up a bit. This shot right here is why I want a D400!
    rockwell-sx-fishy-191-L.jpg

#9 I like this one. Still just a little noisey. More ISO please! The Exposure was almost spot on with this shot. So the noise is not nearly as bad.
    rockwell-sx-fishy-170-L.jpg

This is what the fisheye is all about. Kevin Windham in his trailer. The Rockwell dudes just gave him that bling new watch.
    rockwell-sx-fishy-068-L.jpg
  • Options
    newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2011
    Awesome shots!
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    Nice - Fisheye looks great in #7 - You're right that would have been awesome angle to shoot during the races with more bikes and fans.
    Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    mom2sagemom2sage Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2011
    Looks like the guy in #3 is looking at you knowing you're about to get run over. Great shots!