Options

Test: Kenko extension tubes with Canon 100mm Macro

DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited May 10, 2011 in Technique
I finally got my set of extension tubes and did some testing, which left me with some questions. I'll try to explain what I did and what I don't get... I hope that somebody knows this stuff :-)

Let me start with the gear used and the test I did:

- Canon 7D body
- Canon EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro
- Kenko extension tube set: 12mm + 20mm + 36mm

I put the camera on a tripod and shot the "peanut man face" on a tin with Planters peanuts. I tried every combination of tubes, measured minimum distance to subject and compare photo's.

The distance measured is between subject and the bigger contact of the hot shoe. I think it's close to the distance from sensor but it's the differences that are more important.

Okay, first shot, this is the 100mm without extension tube(s):
_mg_4312-S.jpg
Here, the minimum distance is 29.7cm (and maximum is infinity)

#2 with 12mm tube:
_mg_4313-S.jpg
minimum distance: 29.7cm

#3 with 20mm tube:
_mg_4314-S.jpg
minimum distance: 30.0cm

#4 with 12mm + 20mm = 32mm tube:
_mg_4315-S.jpg
minimum distance: 30.5cm

#5 with 36mm tube:
_mg_4316-S.jpg
minimum distance 30.8cm

#6 with 36mm + 12mm = 48mm:
_mg_4317-S.jpg
minimum distance 32.0cm

#7 with 36mm + 20mm = 56mm:
_mg_4318-S.jpg
minimum distance 32.5cm

#8 with 36mm + 20mm + 12mm = 68mm:
_mg_4319-S.jpg
minimum distance 32.8cm (maximum distance 40.8cm !!)

#6 and #7 make no sense to me. I realize that there's a jump in the minimum distance to subject and with the sensor further away we loose ground, but why is there this jump? And why is #8 so much closer again?

With all tubes mounted, there's only 8cm possible distance variation for the full focus range.
The 100L is 1:1 magnification and with all three tubes it looks like I get 2:1 magnification. There are formula's to calculate this... who can explain them?

I have a 1.4x teleconverter on the way too and heard this 100mm is compatible with it?!

thanks,
Nick.
ciao!
Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2011
    Whenever I've done similar stuff I've measured the working distance from the subject (generally a steel rule) to some point on the front of the lens, since (to me) this distance is the more relevant when out 'in the field'.

Where the sensor end of the rig is takes care of itself - but having an appreciation of the 'air gap' is useful in several ways.

pp
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Where the sensor end of the rig is takes care of itself - but having an appreciation of the 'air gap' is useful in several ways.

Yes; that "gap", or better, the differences of it while changing tubes, is known because you just take the length of the added tubes and subtract that from my measurement.

What is troubling me is why #6 and #7 give me less magnification instead of more ne_nau.gif

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    I ran a (very) quick test using my 100 macro (original, non usm) and kenko tubes + 1Dm3

Figures below are: extension / subject width on frame / min working distance (didn't bother with max wd)

(working distance being from front of lens barrel to subject - distance from subject to sensor plane for lens only being 304mm)

Set cam + target up on a flat board
    Cam on live view (x10), moved subject (steel rule taped to a vhs cassette :) ) for best focus, roughly checked for squareness etc, took 2 frames each setting
    rinse, repeat.

More than willing to concede that results aren't 'dead on' ... as all done by mk1 eyeball, as was going out with (different) gear (dying rays from yellow orb still present)
    ... but they're in the right ball park ... and seem reasonable / as expected?

100mm only ... 28mm ... 110mm
    +12... 24..... 100
    +20... 22..... 94
    +32... 19.4... 88
    +36... 18.8... 86
    +48... 16.8... 81
    +56... 15.9... 78.5
    +68... 14.3... 75

pp
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    Sounds like I need to repeat using your method. What do you mean ewith "subject width"? This value gets smaller as tubes are added?

tnx,
    Nick.
    I ran a (very) quick test using my 100 macro (original, non usm) and kenko tubes + 1Dm3

Figures below are: extension / subject width on frame / min working distance (didn't bother with max wd)

(working distance being from front of lens barrel to subject - distance from subject to sensor plane for lens only being 304mm)

Set cam + target up on a flat board
    Cam on live view (x10), moved subject (steel rule taped to a vhs cassette :) ) for best focus, roughly checked for squareness etc, took 2 frames each setting
    rinse, repeat.

More than willing to concede that results aren't 'dead on' ... as all done by mk1 eyeball, as was going out with (different) gear (dying rays from yellow orb still present)
    ... but they're in the right ball park ... and seem reasonable / as expected?

100mm only ... 28mm ... 110mm
    +12... 24..... 100
    +20... 22..... 94
    +32... 19.4... 88
    +36... 18.8... 86
    +48... 16.8... 81
    +56... 15.9... 78.5
    +68... 14.3... 75

pp
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    DeVerm wrote: »
    What do you mean ewith "subject width"? This value gets smaller as tubes are added?

The real world size of the subject as represented across the frame / image.

ie for the lens without tubes, the image depicts 28mm's worth of rule markings - roughly as expected because the cam's sensor is 28.7mm wide.

With a full set of tubes, the frame's depicting 14.3mm's worth of rule, therefore magnification is 28.7/14.3 ... or approx 2:1 / twice life size.

hth
    pp
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2011
    With a full set of tubes, the frame's depicting 14.3mm's worth of rule, therefore magnification is 28.7/14.3 ... or approx 2:1 / twice life size.

thumb.gif
    got it; I thought you used this ruler to measure distance to lens :D

I'll repeat this with my 7D and "new" 100mm.

I also have a 5D Mk.II on the way and will test with that too!

thanks,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2011
    Whilst absolute distances might well be slightly different and size of object to 'fill the frame' @ 1:1 will certainly be different (as both 7D and 1Dm2 have different sized sensors from mine) ... I suspect the (mag) ratios will be similar ...

When using such items, I tended to think in terms of the subject size and to what extent I wanted it to fill the frame - and use the appropriate rings / kit.

pp

Edit
    Just noticed you also have a 70-200.
    If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest trying this with the extn tubes also.
    Before I had any 'proper' macro lenses I used to use a 100-300 f5.6L with tubes ... and found it quite useful in certain situations.