how to consolidate galleries

HighLightPhotosHighLightPhotos Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited June 17, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I want to do some house keeping with the galleries and need to consolidate a few galleries inot one. Is there a simple way to move the entire contents of gallery into another. As currently setup, the "move between galleries" feature requires me to choose a new gallery from a drop down list *for every picture*!!
Not very efficient.
I hope there is a better way. If there is no tool, can it be accomplished with an Email request to our friendly support staff?
Looking forward to a reply.
Thanks

Comments

• HighLightPhotosHighLightPhotos Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Does SM support not read this site, or is this question too hard to answer?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2004
    Does SM support not read this site, or is this question too hard to answer?

yeah they do read the site. sorry that nobody got back to you, but i'll answer for you, okay? mwink.gif

you can use "move between galleries" to move pics from one gallery to another. but it does work the way you stated. i'll direct this thread to jt though, so that can take your suggestion. btw, i use that feature almost daily, i find it works like a charm.... you get fairly quick at it after a couple times using it.....

holler if you need more help, i'd be happy to assist
    edited June 16, 2004
    andy wrote:
    btw, i use that feature almost daily, i find it works like a charm.... you get fairly quick at it after a couple times using it.....
    thanks andy,
    I too have used the feature, and yes it does work well.
    But, with out radio buttons or a "select all feature", that drop down menu per picture gets old quick! I am fighting carpal-tunnel as it is :)
    Also consider, I am thinking of consolidating 24 galleries with 100+ shots in each into one gallery. Hope you can see the problem with the drop-down menu method!
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 16, 2004
    thanks andy,
    I too have used the feature, and yes it does work well.
    But, with out radio buttons or a "select all feature", that drop down menu per picture gets old quick! I am fighting carpal-tunnel as it is :)
    Also consider, I am thinking of consolidating 24 galleries with 100+ shots in each into one gallery. Hope you can see the problem with the drop-down menu method!
    Hi PerfectPixel,

Interesting problem. I'm sorry you're having trouble getting this done simply.

I'm afraid we didn't anticipate this level of moving when we designed the tool and I can't think of a way to do this easily with the system as it currently works. Anyone else from smugmug or familiar with the system feel free to jump in.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

All the best,
    Baldy
    edited June 17, 2004
    these were my first gallerries I'd setup.
    I had patterned them after my experience with Pbase ie a main album, with sub-albums inside. It worked ok there, but not here.
    Do you have a suggestion on how I can achieve the same effect here?
    thanks
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 17, 2004
    these were my first gallerries I'd setup.
    I had patterned them after my experience with Pbase ie a main album, with sub-albums inside. It worked ok there, but not here.
    Do you have a suggestion on how I can achieve the same effect here?
    thanks
    Hi PerfectPixel,

Once upon a time we thought about doing subgalleries but it turned out to be one of those features that fared well with gallery owners, but not too well with the people they shared with. They tended to get lost in navigation especially when they went more than two levels deep.

We went the route of subcategories instead. http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo Sometimes we hear the concern that only two-deep may not be enough, but so far it doesn't seem to have materialized.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks!
    Baldy